NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

RB26DETT swap into G35

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:50 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxGsII
I say go for it!!! If you want it done, and you want it done correctly, JE Import can do it!!!!!
they had the cover of turbo magazine i think for a g35 with this swap
Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Nismo G

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
That would be me. Taking out a compact, all aluminum V6 and replacing it with a heavy arsed Iron blocked I6 that's twice as long is not smart. Plus add the weight of turbos and intercooler.

I'd much rather have a SC'd LS2 that makes the same power, is infinitately lighter than the iron RB and won't fubar the weight dist.

But you know what? That's just me and my silly logical thinking getting in the way of the mightly sexors l33t RB!

Personally, I think a stock Nissan aluminum V8 rated about 330hp+ is a much better idea than a RB. Most of these RB swaps are done by drifters that could really care less about proper weight dist. In fact, it seems the more front heavy, the better.
Why would he want to put a engine built by GM in a Japanese car? It kind of defeats the purpose of a JDM car, but that’s just me. Why don’t you tell him that it’s impossible to put a 572 big block a g35

-Sean
Old 04-09-2007, 07:55 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

That would be me. Taking out a compact, all aluminum V6 and replacing it with a heavy arsed Iron blocked I6 that's twice as long is not smart. Plus add the weight of turbos and intercooler.

I'd much rather have a SC'd LS2 that makes the same power, is infinitately lighter than the iron RB and won't fubar the weight dist.

But you know what? That's just me and my silly logical thinking getting in the way of the mightly sexors l33t RB!

Personally, I think a stock Nissan aluminum V8 rated about 330hp+ is a much better idea than a RB. Most of these RB swaps are done by drifters that could really care less about proper weight dist. In fact, it seems the more front heavy, the better.
wrong wrong wrong wrong. drift cars need to be perfectly balanced. Weight and suspension are everything to them. They do everything to minimize the weight and maximize ballance. show me one competitive drift car that has this swap (there is none). Calvin wan has the vq twin turboed, and chris has a gm v8 swapped in. Maybe a few guys that are still underground are doing this, but for drifting the lighter vq is ideal. A supercharged ls2 would be heavier than a turboed rb (which is capable of way over 1000 hp not like the stupid sp chevy v8).

not trying to start the import vs. domestic wars again jeff lol
Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Jeff92se

Because my reference point is logic, practicality and common sense.

Can you please quote where "JDM" is mentioned anywhere in is design criteria?

And for that matter, he does mention "emissions legal". Now I don't know about where he lives but in general, if you swap engines, the swapped engine must be of a newer year than the car it's being put into. Can you explain if there is emissions in the picture, how is he going to get around this?

BTW. Exactly where did I say it was impossible? Do you want to wager on this?

Originally Posted by Nismo G
Why would he want to put a engine built by GM in a Japanese car? It kind of defeats the purpose of a JDM car, but that’s just me. Why don’t you tell him that it’s impossible to put a 572 big block a g35

-Sean
Old 04-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Jeff92se

Can you detail this with specifications?? BTW there are more than a few boosted LS series V8s running 1,000hp plus also.

Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
A supercharged ls2 would be heavier than a turboed rb (which is capable of way over 1000 hp not like the stupid sp chevy v8).

Old 04-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Nismo G

Because my reference point is logic, practicality and common sense.

Can you please quote where "JDM" is mentioned anywhere in is design criteria?

And for that matter, he does mention "emissions legal". Now I don't know about where he lives but in general, if you swap engines, the swapped engine must be of a newer year than the car it's being put into. Can you explain if there is emissions in the picture, how is he going to get around this?

BTW. Exactly where did I say it was impossible? Do you want to wager on this?
I believe a Japanese car is basically JDM...right? I'm just assuming he would like to keep it that way, if he wanted a LS2 motor in his car im sure he would have mentioned it.

Can you tell me where he stated that you give him advice on what you think is smart and what’s not?

Jeff, you are a very smart man when it comes to what you read from a book, but when it comes to common sense, being street smart, and using your imagination to make something reality...your far from it.

-Sean
Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Jeff92se

I believe a Japanese car is basically JDM...right? I'm just assuming he would like to keep it that way, if he wanted a LS2 motor in his car im sure he would have mentioned it.
Don't assume. That's bad

Can you tell me where he stated that you give him advice on what you think is smart and what’s not?
Can you tell me where I said he did ask??

Jeff, you are a very smart man when it comes to what you read from a book, but when it comes to common sense, being street smart, and using your imagination to make something reality...your far from it.
I have more practical experience than you. At least judging by the quality of your posts, I make this statement. Maybe you're 10x smarter in real life.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Jeff92se

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/814376

So does he detail the final frt/rear weight bias?

Personally, I don't see how putting an iron blocked i 6 with a heavy turbo stuck onto it helps the "balance". At least not without completely stripping the front end.

But maybe you can help me. If the purpose of a drift car is to bascily hang the rear end out and slide sideways all of the track, then what's the problem w/ having a front heavy car? Especially when you are stiffening up the rear to kingdom come.

Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
wrong wrong wrong wrong. drift cars need to be perfectly balanced. Weight and suspension are everything to them. They do everything to minimize the weight and maximize ballance. show me one competitive drift car that has this swap (there is none). Calvin wan has the vq twin turboed, and chris has a gm v8 swapped in. Maybe a few guys that are still underground are doing this, but for drifting the lighter vq is ideal. A supercharged ls2 would be heavier than a turboed rb (which is capable of way over 1000 hp not like the stupid sp chevy v8).

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-09-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:15 PM
ttrank
TIMMAHH!!

Originally Posted by JONFLIP29
yea i figured the fitment would be really tight so i probably would do the V-mounted radiator and intercooler. cut out that rad. core and custom fit a aluminum frame.

And this is going to be cheaper than a standard TT kit how?!? A basic Greddy TT kit with BOV and UTEC can be had for under your $7k mark. The install is another ~$1500 - 2k. Even with misc add-ons you are ~$10k

Yes it would be cool but your first post was about the savings. This will cost you WAY more in the long run. If you can do a RB swap and do it right for under $10k, hell for under $14k go for it!
Old 04-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Nismo G

Don't assume. That's bad
You tell me not to assume yet you assume that putting a LS2 in a g35 is better? "Can you detail this with specifications" that a LS2 is better than a RB swap on a G35? I need technical information...

Can you tell me where I said he did ask??
What???? Can you tell me that i said that she said that he said that his brother said that he said that i said??
Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Jeff92se

You tell me not to assume yet you assume that putting a LS2 in a g35 is better? "Can you detail this with specifications" that a LS2 is better than a RB swap on a G35? I need technical information...
I have the weight of the LS2 right here. Right at 400lbs. Let me know how much a fully dressed RB26DETT with turbos and intercoolers weigh. thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Nismo G

I have the weight of the LS2 right here. Right at 400lbs. Let me know how much a fully dressed RB26DETT with turbos and intercoolers weigh. thanks
Give me technical information that states the LS2 is better for the g35 than the RB. Thanks

-Sean
Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Jeff92se

I contend first and foremost, it's lighter. Why don't we start here and progress. I know you are just trying to skirt the questions with more questions.

Give me technical information that states the LS2 is better for the g35 than the RB. Thanks

-Sean
Old 04-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Nismo G

I contend first and foremost, it's lighter. Why don't we start here and progress.
We all know that a cast aluminum block is going to be lighter than an iron block, that is a no brainer. How much does the VQ weigh? If he is going to fvck up the weight by putting a different engine in it anyways then what does it matter? Unless the LS2 weighs the exact same as the VQ then the weight is going to be screwed anyways so what does it matter...?

I know you are just trying to skirt the questions with more questions.
No Jeff, im acting like you. I contradict everything you say with a question, and thus...do what you do.

-Sean
Old 04-09-2007, 08:42 PM
imandresing22
is way gangster..

Originally Posted by terryw
someones done it on my350Z.com, dont know about g35. but yeah its not that easy considering the rb26dett has cast iron block and weighs quite a bit more and is much longer and take more space. so youd have to do some serious rearrangement under the hood. if you can get the weight distribution relatively close to 50/50 i think its a great project. just one that takes more work than people usually expect initially. youd definetly be the baddest G35 after you get it done though.
good luck! we are pulling for ya
There will be a lot of custom fabrication that you'll have to do. I know it's not a straight drop in. If it was, then I'm pretty sure there would be a couple of people that have done, or started this project a long time ago. I know there's an RB in a 350z.. but that's a fully sponsored shop car. However, for the budget minded everyday "daily driver"... it's kinda going for a long shot. If you pull the trigger though... that would be gangster.

Quick Reply: RB26DETT swap into G35