NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Pulled over...Ran a Red but it was really yellow

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:37 PM
pdjafari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled over...Ran a Red but it was really yellow

Hey guys,

I got pulled over last weekend for running a 'Red light'. However, the light was not red it was yellow. Please save me from the lectures as I already know the extent and danger of running red lights. The light had turned yellow as I approached and I didnt even see it turn red after crossing. I have a great driving record (one speeding ticket 2 yrs ago) and am smarter than to run a red. It was at the intersection of route 50 in fairfax near west ox road (by the police station no less). I approached the intersection going the speed limit around 45-50mph and as I reached the intersection the light turned yellow, if I had attempted to stop I wouldve ended up in the middle of the intersection if not the opposite side. I knew I was next to a cop station as I went there once for a hit/run. The officer who pulled me over stated I ran a red and it was red for a while. He was in the turn lane at the intersection and was turning left onto the road I was traveling on. How he was able to even see the light is beyond me. What should I do guys, just bite the bullet and pay the fine or fight it in court?? What do I say to prove I did not run a red light?? I cant believe I have such bad luck w/ these kind of things.... Basically I need to think of something to say to the judge if I go to court to prove my innocence. I know for now its my word against the officers. I also had my gf following me and she could potentially be a witness that I didnt run a red but I dont know how convincing that would be...Again I can pay the fine or go to court April 9...

Maybe tell the judge it was orange???
Gimme some advice...Vic get ooooooooover hereeeeeeee

Last edited by pdjafari; 03-27-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 AM
terryw

sorry to hear puria, dont know about va but in college park cops have mandatory cameras on their cars. if that cop had a camera equipted then you can try to use that as evidence
Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 AM
ratm68

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find out what order the lights turn green especially where the cop was sitting when he "saw" you ran the red. My point is, most of the time, when your light turn red, the first light to turn green for the perpendicular traffic are the turning lanes. So if this is true, him stating that your light had been red for a while is flawed. Say your light had been red like he said, that mean that his turn light would of turned green...and he would of made his turn..putting him in front or right by you..not behind you (as i assume that is how he pulled you over). The only reason he was still sitting at his turn, is because his light is still red, meaning yours could not have been red "for a while".

This theory only works if the light pattern is how i stated. He might come back and say, he had a reason to wait for you and not turn on his green light. Not likely though.

I have no idea if what i said make sense or not..i think it does..haha

~Khoa
Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 AM
superchargedg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where is the careometer.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Espresso

I saw a guy right behind me today get pulled over for the same reason by an unmarked cop. I definitely made the yellow light but I'm not sure if he did. But he did get pulled over right away by a cop tailing him turning left.

Turning left at a big intersection is subjective with traffic. What happens if traffic slows and the light turns yellow after you've crossed the line? Don't you have the right of way since you're already in the intersection.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 AM
vlm7

While Khoa applies some good logic, I think the officer could assert that his traffic light turn signal did in fact turn green, but he did not turn because he saw you coming - just because a light turns green does not obligate the cop to turn. Calling your gf as a witness is problematic, because as you say, she was following you. Thus, if the cop says you ran it, that'd also expose your gf to the same offense. Sorry to say, but there does not appear to be alot of potential mitigating factors here - e.g., things that could have affected the visibility of the traffic light or of your ability to brake, so I do think that your word will not fare too well against that of the officer...
Old 03-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Mase4g63

ghey
Old 03-28-2007, 11:19 AM
r0csfinest

i got a ticket for the same thing and went to court. basically its was the officers word against mine and of course i lost
Old 03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
wnt1bd

Originally Posted by Mase4g63
ghey
+8....LMAO
Old 03-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Ahujadaddy

go back to light, at the spot where the cop was waiting. If he couldn't rlly see your light, and could only speculate based on the other lights... then you check out the timings. Sometimes one side get a bit longer of a green light than the other for various reasons.
I found that out after an accident while makin a left on a yellow.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:54 PM
darnelled

You will lose in court. I think the law is that if you are in the intersection at all while it turns red, you ran it. You may want to go to the prosecutor's office to discuss it. I've done this twice and gotten a lesser charge and a diversion. He also gave the option to attend a 1 day driver school eliminating the charge completely ( I'll save that for a last resort).
Old 03-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi-Tech_G

I had one of those tickets a while back. I was basically told that if you are still in the intersection when the light turns red you ran the light so all in a nut shell even though yellow means proceed with caution it really means to stop. I wish the idots would make up there mind.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:52 PM
6spG

Originally Posted by r0csfinest
i got a ticket for the same thing and went to court. basically its was the officers word against mine and of course i lost
I agree, it's you word against the officers and unfortunately you will lose.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:57 PM
nghiars

Originally Posted by 6spG
I agree, it's you word against the officers and unfortunately you will lose.
it can be the cop's words against him and his gf's... i know the lawin CA is if you cross the intersction line b4 it turns red then ur safe but i don tknow where you're from and laws can be different.. check that out 1st and someone made a good suggestion about the cop car having a camera.