NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Swapped in the 05 gauges...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:09 PM
aorbeta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terryw
felony
Yup. It's against the law to sell a car like this. That's why I'm not posting a DIY about this until I figure out the mileage issue and the reason my car hasn't clocked more than 0.1 miles on the odometer since the gauges were put in.

I'm pretty sure the ECU stores mileage information for instances like this. It's hard to think they wouldn't have some sort of mileage redundancy built in.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:12 PM
pdjafari

Originally Posted by terryw
felony
the irony is killing me. a chinese man who DL's tons of movies, PS2, xbox games and CDs and software talking about a felony (swapping cluster on his car)

Last edited by pdjafari; 01-29-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:16 PM
pdjafari

Originally Posted by KlokDeezal
Well unfortunately, for those of us who get their oil changed at the dealership , dont forget that they do keep a record of your mileage in the system each time you get your oil changed. So even if you do N!GG@ rig your mileage, the truth will always be at the dealership....now if you can change the numbers in the corporate system...Then you will have succeeded.
#1 i normally change my own oil. #2. There is no law or contract stating you must drive ur car a minimum amt. of miles. #3 even if/when the person wanted to really 'rig' their car, b4 they go to the dealer, they would simply plug it in, drive 20-30 miles take it in for service, so long as it exceeds what it was last time i was there...right?? the point is not to 'lower' the mileage on ur car, it would be to 'stop' it from getting higher. But thats for ppl who were act. attempting that on their car!!

Threfore if I only have 30 miles btw oil changes it could be b/c i have 3 cars . the G is not everybody's daily driver....

Last edited by pdjafari; 01-29-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:37 PM
terryw

im just taking the time to inform you that its a felony, whether you do it or not is up to you. I never said to do it or not do it. no need to get defensive about it
Old 01-29-2007, 03:52 PM
pdjafari

^^thanks for the hot tip!!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:00 PM
KPierson
Banned

It's not illegal to change the milage on the odometer, but it is illegal to try and sell a car with wrong milage, if you know that the miliage is inaccurate. I believe you are supposed to put the old milage and the new milage in an easy to find place, like the door jamb, so that it is obvious how many total miles are on the car.

If you get pulled over and your miliage is obviosly wrong they won't and can't do anything to you.

Also, RPM should have nothing to do with odometer readings. Each 'pulse' of the VSS is calibrated for X amount of miles. If you get a square wave generator you should be able to add miles to it very quickly to catch it up to your old cluster.

Again, congrats on the project, the 05/06 gauges are so much nicer then the '04s!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 PM
LEK

Originally Posted by pdjafari
the irony is killing me. a chinese man who DL's tons of movies, PS2, xbox games and CDs and software talking about a felony (swapping cluster on his car)
thats focked up... p diddy
Old 01-29-2007, 04:15 PM
aorbeta

Yup that was my plan. I extended the wiring for the VSS so I can access it easily from the cabin. My thought was to measure the frequency of the VSS with my oscilloscope as I believe it should change according to vehicle speed. The service manual shows a 5v pk-pk level TTL as an input to the gauge cluster. The service manual also shows a 50ms(20Hz) wavelength for the VSS but I don't remember if this value is the car sitting still. Then use my function generator to put a false VSS signal into the cluster to increase the mileage.

Do you know if the ECU holds mileage information?????

Originally Posted by KPierson
It's not illegal to change the milage on the odometer, but it is illegal to try and sell a car with wrong milage, if you know that the miliage is inaccurate. I believe you are supposed to put the old milage and the new milage in an easy to find place, like the door jamb, so that it is obvious how many total miles are on the car.

If you get pulled over and your miliage is obviosly wrong they won't and can't do anything to you.

Also, RPM should have nothing to do with odometer readings. Each 'pulse' of the VSS is calibrated for X amount of miles. If you get a square wave generator you should be able to add miles to it very quickly to catch it up to your old cluster.

Again, congrats on the project, the 05/06 gauges are so much nicer then the '04s!
Old 01-29-2007, 06:30 PM
KlokDeezal

Originally Posted by pdjafari
#1 i normally change my own oil. #2. There is no law or contract stating you must drive ur car a minimum amt. of miles. #3 even if/when the person wanted to really 'rig' their car, b4 they go to the dealer, they would simply plug it in, drive 20-30 miles take it in for service, so long as it exceeds what it was last time i was there...right?? the point is not to 'lower' the mileage on ur car, it would be to 'stop' it from getting higher. But thats for ppl who were act. attempting that on their car!!

Threfore if I only have 30 miles btw oil changes it could be b/c i have 3 cars . the G is not everybody's daily driver....
You talk as if you have done this before in a previous life
Remind me to never buy a car from you... ...J/k!!!