NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Rev matching, Double clutching

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:27 AM
kraqcommando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rev matching, Double clutching

can any one explain to me the dyanmics and exucution of revmatching and double clutching
Old 07-26-2006, 01:38 AM
mistermojorizin

there are 3 parts in the engine that need to be synchronized for a smooth down shift 1) engine 2) gear 3) shaft (optional)

revmatching: synchronizes engine and gear but not necessarily the shaft
rev matching is when you press on the gas while you are holding down the clutch while simultaneously switching the gear. the idea is to have your gear and your engine RPM at the same speed as the rpm of the lower gear by the time you put the car in the lower gear and engage the gear.

the motions are basically 1) clutch in 2) move stick to lower gear and gas AT THE SAME TIME 3) clutch out 4) accelerate (optional)
practice until you are not lurching forward or backwards (which means you are either revving too much or not enough).

ther's also a variant on this called heel toeing, which is wher you revmatch into a lower gear while at the same time keeping even pressure on your break so you can rip out of a corner in the lower gear

doublclutching (i'm not 100% on this one): synchronizes all 3 parts and is not necessary on modern cars that have synchros (unless your clutch goes or something)

you basically don't hit the throttle with the clutch down, like in revmatching, but you clutch in, put the stick in neutral, clutchout and hit the gas to match engine and gear rpm, then quickly clutch in again and put stick in the new lower gear and engage the gear by clutching out.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:59 AM
hai109
Premier Member

On your double clutching tech. I thought when you release the clutch in neutral the engine ismatching up with the shaft. Why would you need to rev to match the engine? Doesn't letting go of the clutch already accomplish that? When you duble clutch you will notice that the shifter will go into gear smoother..
Old 07-26-2006, 02:16 AM
mistermojorizin

if you let go of the clutch into neutral and not hit the gas, you will be ideling at like 1000 rpm, when you try to go into the lower gear, your gear will be at say 3000 rpm at least, right? probably more, so if you don't hit the gas, it won't be smooth.

or at least that is my best understanding.

that the difference between revmatching and dble clutching is that in the former you gas with the clutch in, which only speeds up the engine, while in the latter you gas with the shifter in neutral with the clutch out, which speeds up both the engine and the shaft.

i could be wrong, i've only been driving stick for 1 yr. best stick i've driven - mercedes c220 i seriously recommend testing one just for the experience, it felt like sex

edit: it just occured to me, that maybe you were talking about upshifting using the double clutching, then yea, you don't need to hit the gas, but I was talking about downshifting, when you really need to sync things up. although like i said, i don't think you need to double clutch modern cars that are functioning properly, only maybe if you wanna downshift into 1st and rev matching just isn't doing it for ya. but you always neet to revmatch your downshifts

Last edited by mistermojorizin; 07-26-2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Hit Tha G Spot

that is wild stuff
Old 07-26-2006, 02:24 AM
mistermojorizin

haha, yea they do, on their lower models, i just saw a comercial on tv a few mins ago for a six speed manual. it felt, it felt amazing, better than a honda or toyota. it was so smooth yet so tight. omg. no clunking, no chattering, no mushy feeling, no notchy feeling, gears just clicked into place, the car never felt like it was anywhere close to stalling, the gear shift didn't vibrate at all, it was amazing.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:02 AM
kraqcommando

man heel toe sounds so hard
Old 07-26-2006, 04:03 AM
kraqcommando

this sh*t is hard
and what gears do you get the most power out of
Old 07-26-2006, 08:29 AM
wnt1bd

^ I rev match ALOT!! I'll give you a ride through some twisties and show you the proper techniqe (sp)
Old 07-26-2006, 09:17 AM
clokwork
Premier Member

isnt your clutch fried yet ?? I smell chicken
Old 07-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Mase4g63

Just powershift
Old 07-26-2006, 10:02 AM
wnt1bd

F power shifting......man that's the quickest way to make aluminum soup!!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:10 AM
ratm68

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't think that many people rev match. When I firsted started, it takes pratice. I find it best to pratice on the highway and/or during slow traffic. Good spot to practice also is before entering an on/off ramp, to get in the correct gear before and not during the ramp. Or simply just drive around with Devon once or twice, you'll get a whip lash and or concussion if you don't rev match.

~Khoa
Old 07-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Mase4g63

hahaha...i was just joking old man.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:41 AM
clokwork
Premier Member

mmmmmmmmm soup.

Quick Reply: Rev matching, Double clutching