NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Rev matching, Double clutching

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
badtziscool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double clutching is a technique for really old manual trannys without synchros. Since the input and output shaft speeds are different, when you shift a tranny without synchros, the gear speeds don't match and you end up grinding when you shift. By disengaging the clutch, disengage the gear, and engage the clutch, it will match the input and output shaft speeds, so when you go to engage the next gear it won't grind. With synchros, when you shift gears, there's a small "clutch" that gradually matches the speeds of the input and output as you're shifting and thus when the next gear is about to engage, it'll run at the same speed and shift without grinding. That's why shifting rapidly tends to wear out the synchros.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:24 PM
mistermojorizin

Originally Posted by kraqcommando
this sh*t is hard
and what gears do you get the most power out of
lower gears always give you more power. but you also don't wanna go too low, b/c that will increase rpm too much and cause the fuel cutoff to kick in (not a good thing when you need to accelerate and car just coasts).

if you're below 60mph, usually go to 2nd, if you're above try for 3rd. 4th is always safe, but I don't feel enough power.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:39 PM
kraqcommando

that wont blow your cluth to sh*t doing that, is speed or rpm what grinds your clutch? Ineed some one to show me this on a car, i never really have driven manual that much i was tought and drove a few times, but automatics mostly, but my 07 is going to be manual so i need to really know how to controll the car.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:13 PM
imandresing22
is way gangster..

it's not as hard as people think.. double clutching does give a smoother feel.. but people tend to think there's no reason for it. but i do it because that's how i remembered how to do it.. i wasnt taught that way but when i got my G after having to drive an automatic.. my homeboy noticed i double clutched.. and i guess i've been doing it unconciously ever since?..
Old 07-28-2006, 01:28 AM
mikedaddy98

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutching