Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:32 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
I have that radiator - it's good. I had a problem with the drain spout not sealing. I ended up using JB Weld like a threadlocker on the little bolt, and haven't had any problems since. Now, if I want to drain it, I just do so by removing the lower hose. Other than that, it's an awesome radiator. I rarely see my temps go over 200 when I drive the car hard. When I was on track, I think the temps got up to 220-ish. It's an excellent radiator, I'd highly recommend it now that I got that leak sorted. And I'd definitely choose this over a Mishimoto/ebay aluminum radiator.

As for a vented hood, I was thinking of picking one up just to swap on for track days. I think that would make the biggest difference. With a more efficient radiator AND more airflow through it, you should be good.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:56 PM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
"I was thinking of this CSF radiator from Z1 Motorsports and a set of their silicone hoses. Thoughts? "

Thinking of the same radiator. Looks like a simple swap except for the A/C evacuation. Are you going to DIY the radiator swap? Appreciate a review, tips or any pics for the forum.

Sub'ed.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:46 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
please check the reviews about the csf radiator on the370z forums before purchase and then decide if its worth it. It almost seems guaranteed to fail or some broken fittings at some point. While CSF will send you a replacment, all that time + labor (+money if not diy) to keep changing radiators is IMO not worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Bravo at (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 09:17 AM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Hmm, this is what I keep seeing and is holding me back from pulling the trigger. The plug leaks seem common, but there are options on the 370z forum, or use JB weld as above. I haven't seen problems with leaks over time, I thought that was the Mishimoto radiator? I wonder what Z1 have to say, as their combo with the silicon hoses does look mighty tempting.

CSF Triple Pass Radiator - Nissan 370Z Forum

A radiator swap does not look that challenging, you'd just need some help with the A/C recharge (and discharge if you're going to do the right thing for the environment).

On a lighter note, I finally got my new wheels installed!
Attached Thumbnails The G37S is a great track car-img_20170529_202454.jpg  
Old 05-30-2017, 09:43 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Hmm.. so mixed reviews on the radiator. Is there a different brand I should look at or do you think a vented hood would actually be more beneficial? It seems strange that something as simple as a radiator would have problems with leaks/reliability.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Splitter

Just got this:

Hi Tom,

CSF is a good option and they are great. We don’t see issues from them.

Thank you,

Rod Summers
Z1 Motorsports inc.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:09 AM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
What were your water temps when you tracked it? I haven't tried this on the track, but I monitored temps driving around on the street with and without the bottom cover. Surprisingly, I noticed a ~10 degree difference with it off. With the cover off, my water temps just driving around were in the 170-180 degree range, and with it back on, it was in the 180-190 range. This surprised me, so I took it back off, and sure enough, the temps dropped to 170-180.

Now, this is only one specific data point - I'm not suggesting that it will save you at a track day in 120 degree ambient temps, but it might give you some insight on how a vented hood might help.

It's a free test, if you have a way of monitoring your temps, give it a try and see how your car responds to more airflow.
The following users liked this post:
Bravo at (06-27-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 09:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That's interesting that you noticed a temp. change with the undertray off. I bet it would be more significant with a vented hood since hot air rises. At least I hope so since a carbon fiber vented hood is a lot more expensive option.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
The CSF radiator is pretty good. There were issues with the old models developing leaks. I had one and they sent out a new replacement with no questions asked. Very good customer service. I'll put in the replacement before COTA at the end of the month.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:38 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Splitter
Just got this:

Hi Tom,

CSF is a good option and they are great. We don’t see issues from them.

Thank you,

Rod Summers
Z1 Motorsports inc.
Originally Posted by Lt8Che
The CSF radiator is pretty good. There were issues with the old models developing leaks. I had one and they sent out a new replacement with no questions asked. Very good customer service. I'll put in the replacement before COTA at the end of the month.
This sounds a little more reassuring.

Anyone else have any experience with this radiator?

I noticed the Mishimoto radiator has a noticeably thicker core, a lifetime warranty, and is slightly less expensive. Anyone run Mishimoto?

I am sure either one of these will be good for me on track since my oil cooler sits right in front of it on the driver's side.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Splitter

The CSF is a triple pass, so it's MUCH more efficient than the mishimoto. I was honestly surprised to find out that the stock radiator is only a single pass, I didn't realise anyone made such rubbish radiators any more, but there you go.

I have read reports that the mishimoto doesn't actually do much, and I (wrongly?) suspect the reported thickness is the radiator and air-conditioning core because when you look at comparison photos it doesn't look that much thicker.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:48 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
The CSF is a triple pass...
Do you really mean triple-pass, or do you mean triple-row? Two VERY different things.

Triple-row simply means there are three rows of tubes between the two tanks and coolant makes only one pass through before returning to the engine.

Triple-pass means the fluid goes from one tank to the other, reverses course in a second set of tubes back to the first tank area then turns again to head to the other tank and thence to the cooling passages of the engine. Each tube forms one continuous circuit and are open to the tanks only at the beginnings and ends of the tubes. Something you'd find in a refinery or chemical plant.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Splitter

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Do you really mean triple-pass
Sure do. Hence why they're the recommended option.

I found this in my travels too, looks like sponsored content, but a fun read.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-Radiator.aspx
Old 06-05-2017, 05:57 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The CSF is a triple pass, so it's MUCH more efficient than the mishimoto. I was honestly surprised to find out that the stock radiator is only a single pass, I didn't realise anyone made such rubbish radiators any more, but there you go.

I have read reports that the mishimoto doesn't actually do much, and I (wrongly?) suspect the reported thickness is the radiator and air-conditioning core because when you look at comparison photos it doesn't look that much thicker.
So the Mishimoto is only a single pass radiator? If that's the case, I think I will do a "single pass" on Mishimoto. (I know, bad joke)

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Do you really mean triple-pass, or do you mean triple-row? Two VERY different things.

Triple-row simply means there are three rows of tubes between the two tanks and coolant makes only one pass through before returning to the engine.

Triple-pass means the fluid goes from one tank to the other, reverses course in a second set of tubes back to the first tank area then turns again to head to the other tank and thence to the cooling passages of the engine. Each tube forms one continuous circuit and are open to the tanks only at the beginnings and ends of the tubes. Something you'd find in a refinery or chemical plant.
The CSF is listed as a triple pass radiator on the Z1 site and they have a diagram showing how it flows between the end tanks like you mentioned. Sounds like a good upgrade to me.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Sure do. Hence why they're the recommended option.

I found this in my travels too, looks like sponsored content, but a fun read.

Project 370z - Heated battle, testing the CSF triple pass radiator
That is good news about the radiator. I wonder how much the vented carbon hood helped since he seemed to do that before adding the CSF radiator.

It is interesting to think that my stock radiator just starting to spit at Road America after multiple 25min sessions still kept the factory coolant gauge pegged right in the middle. I am curious to see the actual temps.

This also makes me wonder about the 25 row oil cooler I have. I just assumed that big oil cooler along with good synthetic oil would be enough. Maybe I should find a way to get an accurate oil gauge.

I hope the better diff. fluid and Z1 rear diff cover helps keep that cool as well.

It is amazing how much heat this car generates. I have never had these problems with any of my turbo cars. Then again, they were designed to handle a bit more abuse.

Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car