Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Dedicated Track wheels & tires...recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 PM
mprog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dedicated Track wheels & tires...recommendations

All

I currently track my car on the OEM Sport 19" rims + 245/275 Pilot Super Sports ($$). I'd like to move to having a dedicated set of wheels and tires.

For the tires, I have some thoughts on brands, and would ideally like to have somewhat wider than the 245/275. I'm also currently dropped MINIMALLY on KW v3's, and have 15mm spacers all around.

I've never purchased aftermarket wheels before. Any recommendations for a lighter, wider, 18" rim for track use only?

I'm hoping to get a better understanding of what offsets would be good, and what width could move me from 275's in the back to 285 or even a little wider with no issues.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 AM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Light weight wheels usually will not come cheap as they will usually have to be forged. to run a 285/35 you want at least a 9.5 - 10" wide wheel. So check around for a 18x8.5/9 and a 18x9.5/10 with offsets around 20-30 offset in front and 15-25 offset in the rear.

As for brands that are more affordable check out TSW's rotary forged wheels or forgestar wheels. On the pricier side there is volks, works, bc, weds sports and ssr
Old 08-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Track Star

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
You can never go wrong with Enkei RPF1. That is the most well preferred track wheel out there. Light, strong and cheap. You can get that in 10.5 rears and 9 or 9.5 fronts i believe. You can run 245-265 fronts, 285-305 rears if you really wanted to.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 PM
SgtGoldy

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
285 is the most you want to go. Your not running the type of power to justify anymore than that. Its called unsprung weight, and affects acceleration. Right now I am running a set of Volk CE28N's that are extremely light with 275's in back. I have all bolt on and losing traction is never an issue. I'd look into a used set of volks and wouldn't go above 285.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:47 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i second enkei rpfs
Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 PM
mprog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys.

I've been eyeing the RPF's for a while, as I have some friends who have them.

SgtGoldy, definitely want to keep unsprung (and all) weight down, but I also want the most traction I can get. While I'm currently just bolt-ons, and most of my focus in upgrades has been handling and brakes, this car's weight I believe could use more rubber patch on the ground (look at the 370Z as an example). So I'll still shoot for something 285 or possibly a *little* wider. Coming out of turns I would like to put down the power a little earlier, and on 275's and 4.08 gearing I could use a bit more traction back there.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback! I'll let you know how things develop.
The following users liked this post:
SgtGoldy (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 03:40 PM
SgtGoldy

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mprog
Thanks guys.

I've been eyeing the RPF's for a while, as I have some friends who have them.

SgtGoldy, definitely want to keep unsprung (and all) weight down, but I also want the most traction I can get. While I'm currently just bolt-ons, and most of my focus in upgrades has been handling and brakes, this car's weight I believe could use more rubber patch on the ground (look at the 370Z as an example). So I'll still shoot for something 285 or possibly a *little* wider. Coming out of turns I would like to put down the power a little earlier, and on 275's and 4.08 gearing I could use a bit more traction back there.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback! I'll let you know how things develop.
Cool man keep us updated
Old 12-20-2014, 06:29 AM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I know were talking about tires and rims here, but remember this car runs hot so don't forget and investment in a good engine oil cooler will help if you already haven't done so. You're not going to be going fast if the car goes into limp mode because the engine is running too hot. A worthwhile investment. Have fun out there.

Al
Old 03-06-2015, 04:46 PM
zander85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Track Bandit
I know were talking about tires and rims here, but remember this car runs hot so don't forget and investment in a good engine oil cooler will help if you already haven't done so. You're not going to be going fast if the car goes into limp mode because the engine is running too hot. A worthwhile investment. Have fun out there.

Al
Well said.

The car hits limp mode only after a few minutes of driving on a track (mine lasts 10-15 minutes), which really slows you down. Definitely worth investing in an oil cooler before thinking about other mods.