Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

A Perfect Day at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
A Perfect Day at Laguna Seca

I thought you might enjoy a few pictures of a great day at Laguna Seca this last Friday. Temperature a beautiful 72+ degrees and no wind. Great cars and a great track and it doesn't get much better than that. All I need to do now is get a tranny cooler and some better brake pads and I might be able to press the car a little harder with more control after some long straights. The first picture is between turns 3 & 4. Second is exiting turn 5 and starting the climb up to turn 6. Third we have the incline up towards 6 which gets even steeper. This picture has an almost perfect profile of the G37S. I never realized how far that lower air dam goes out. Finally down the famous Corkscrew which is a pure rhythm turn. Enjoy!

Al
Attached Thumbnails A Perfect Day at Laguna Seca-between-3-and-4.jpg   A Perfect Day at Laguna Seca-turn-5-laguna-seca.jpg   A Perfect Day at Laguna Seca-laguna-up-to-turn-6.jpg   A Perfect Day at Laguna Seca-laguna-cork-screw.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 AM
Track Star

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Very nice ... i love that corkscrew pic ... nice to see more people tracking their G's. These cars weren't built for the track but they do feel right at home. They're kind of like domestic husky's, they are bred for the home but when you get them out in the snow, its as if they are right where they belong

Looks like you had a lot of fun .... What kind of suspension were you running?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Those are really nice pictures!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Those are some awesome pictures , you musta had a blast
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Track Bandit

The suspension is just the stock shocks with Eibach Sport springs, and the Hotchkiss sways with the rear set on the middle setting. It really needs some good coilovers to keep things under control in the rear. Given I'm on stock tires it doesn't do too bad. You can feel the rear shift it's weight around on the corner a little due to the higher CG back there. Still correctable with some minor rear air pressure adjustments. It just needs better brakes and a tranny that will do as it's asked to do. Tranny oil cooler coming next.

AL
Old 02-07-2013, 12:38 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Cool pics! Thanks for posting
Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Wish my car could make it under the decibel limits Oh well Im stuck doing sonoma and thunderhill What kind of pads are you running? I have a set of brand new hawk hps's for sale if your interested.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Great shot!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Great photos! Looks like a blast
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM
mprog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G37 @ Laguna Seca

Great pics!

I'm headed there tomorrow. It'll be my 2nd time at Laguna Seca. What a fun track!

I'm also glad to see more G37's at the track... it's usually a bunch of BMW's, there's always some Z-car representation, but it's rare to see more than 1 or 2 G37's. You have to deal with the weight, and the turn-in isn't stellar (long wheelbase), but I've become pretty happy w/ my car at the track (after some fairly basic mods).

Here are some pics:

Corkscrew
Foggy but Fast
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM
OnlyNismo
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't realize how close I was to Leguna Seca until I was driving up to Big Sur this weekend.

How much does it cost to get on the track? And are there any requirements needed to bring your car there?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 AM
mprog

I went w/ Track and Racing Events - Northern California Racing Club/American Racing Club last weekend. The entry was ~$160. Check out their website for details and requirements.

The track day was a blast. Super cold up there! Was my first time using race performance brake pads (Carbotech XP10). What an amazing difference.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM
OnlyNismo
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mprog
I went w/ Track and Racing Events - Northern California Racing Club/American Racing Club last weekend. The entry was ~$160. Check out their website for details and requirements.

The track day was a blast. Super cold up there! Was my first time using race performance brake pads (Carbotech XP10). What an amazing difference.

Awesome. Looks fun. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Track Bandit

NCRC is a good group to go to the track with. If you're a novice on the track let them know and you will have an instructor with you until you get okayed to solo. Laguna is a good track but you have to respect a few areas or it will bite you hard. Always dress warm for the mornings, even in the summer. It can be cold but it will soon warm up and most times be a great day. Track amenities are good but not great. You are definitely exposed to the elements when you're parked in the paddock area so have a good shade hat. The only really scary turn is turn 2, the Andretti hairpin. You're coming down the front straight and really moving fast only to have to brake real hard to make this turn. Definitely will test your seat pucker power. Turn 5 is a blast and the corkscrew is just plain fun. One of my favorites, but Sonoma, the old Sears Point, is even more fun and challenging. Cut my teeth on that one many years ago.

Al
P.S. Man if our car were only 400-500 lbs. lighter. It could be a track slayer.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM
mprog

I brought my floor jack and some tools so I could tighten up my KW V3's @ Laguna Seca this last time, and it was so cold, and my finger's dexterity had diminished so much because of the cold, that I just did the whole day on my street settings

NCRC: great guys, not overly constrictive but definitely safe.

If I could change our cars for track, it'd be:
1. Loose 500 lbs at least
2. Shorten the wheelbase a bit
3. From the factory : 4.08 final drive gear. I still need to do this....

Quick Reply: A Perfect Day at Laguna Seca