Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

TRACK DAY - Intake, Sways or Brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:40 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Depending on how hard you're pushing the car and how many laps in a session, you may be unpleasantly surprised how easy it is to get your oil temps hot enough to go into limp mode.
Where I live is fairly mild (60's- low 70's), with those temps will I be okay without an oil cooler?
If going into limp mode is still a concern, what oil cooler do you recommend? I will only be going on a road course once or twice a year. tks
Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
It's hard to say, although ambient has an effect, the type of track and how hard you push the car has a bigger impact on your engine temps.

No idea on the oil cooler though, i don't have one (I have an HR and haven't had the need for it) but have seen various posts around here and on 'Driver. Might be worth a search.

Good luck and have fun!

edit: For fun, get a pyrometer and measure the inside, middle and outside treads of each of your tires after every session. It's great for determining tire pressures and for figuring out if your camber settings are optimal for the track you're on. No need for something fancy this early in the game, even your ordinary Infrared Thermometer from Harbor Freight will work.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by blackvr4tt
Where I live is fairly mild (60's- low 70's), with those temps will I be okay without an oil cooler?
If going into limp mode is still a concern, what oil cooler do you recommend? I will only be going on a road course once or twice a year. tks
It completely depends on the track, your driving style, and how long your sessions are. You may or you may not. I don't have an oil cooler yet. I couldn't recommend one over another but I don't think brand really matters much. If you are able to put it together yourself (not hard at all), you will get the best vale from buying all the components and assembling your own. You can make one as good or better than the "big brand name" ones and still come out cheaper.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by toyzforme
Probably not as they go in 20 min sessions. If your cant pass tech they wont even allow it on the track. Bald tires are one thing they check
I should rephrase, my fronts have some serious camber wear.

Originally Posted by soundmike
You can always pit anytime you want. Although it will take 2 laps to properly warm up your systems. Also, you do not have to push beyond your limits. Unless you will be in a race, hitting the road course is more about learning vehicle dynamics, lines and where you fall short than all out beating the daylights out of your car during your first few sessions or hpde's.

I ran my sedan on oem everything my first few times out. In succeeding sessions, i determined where i and the car felt short and made adjustments either in terms of aftermarket parts, or how i approach and rebalance the car in prep of a turn, etc.
Vehicle dyamics, that's really what I am interested in. This car can soaks up corners very well (from what I gathered driving on the street). The safe way to see what more it can do seems to be on a track
Old 06-17-2012, 12:49 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Why don't you learn how to control the car with the stock suspension first. Then start to upgrade your parts.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Finally GTLAW said the right thing.

Take some driving lessons with a good track school/instructor first. Learn your car and it's short comings first hand and then start making some mods after you can out-drive the car. Once you do that you may find the order of mods might vary because your driving style might be a little different from others and causes a different mod. than what some other driver might use. The last thing you should do is get a special set of sticky tires. Learn on street rubber first. Sticky tires make up for a lot of bad driving habits because they mask them. Street tires when pressed won't. This will help you to learn the right way to use the car and it's assets to go fast without killing yourself or looking extremely silly. Also when you start driving, leave your "EGO" at home. It only gets in your way and stops you from learning how to drive correctly. It's the first thing I often tell my students before we go out.

To prove that point, have you ever seen the one and only Tom Cruise when he's driving a car fast on the track. He often crashes or almost so because he over-drives the car. I've seen him in a top end prepared race car crash and damaged it severely. I've also seen him on "Top Gear" doing their celebrity drive with a street car and he almost rolled that on camera again because he over-drove the car. Cameron Diaz who was also driving with him did a better job because she drove within her and the cars limits to get the most out of it and looked good doing it. After you learn to outdrive your car, then start adding the mods. I like this order:

1. Good sway bars, then drive it to see how it changes the cars handling and sense the change also in your body.
2. Lower the car either with some springs such as Eibach Pro Kit or H&R. I like the Eibach's for this car but it's all up to the driver. Again drive it to sense the changes.
3. Add some decent brake pads such as Hawk HP+ Ferrodo or Porterfields. Make sure you bed them in correctly. Remove the back splash shields behind the rotors. Not needed for any good reason... period. You will need all the brake cooling you can get.
4. Add a good oil cooler. The car will go into limp mode if you maintain any type of high revs. and with your new mods and driving skill you will.
5. Keep taking some more instruction as you do this and remember, "HAVE FUN" while doing it.
6. Sticky tires once you've learned to handle the car correctly and yourself behind the wheel.

That's a good start.

Al