Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

TRACK DAY - Intake, Sways or Brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
First time out? If so, just make sure you have more than 70% of your pads left and have bled the sytem no more than 3 months ago (assuming normal use in that period).

None of the other mods you listed will get a workout this early in the game. Learn the lines and the cars dynamics,then build from there.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hancook RS3's and sway bars will give the best results.

Pilot Super Sports are a great "all around" tire, but the RS3's will yield better results on the track.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Better tires > wide tires.

i heavily suggest an oil cooler as there are alot of threads of Gs going into limp mode after a couple of runs.
Sway bars, endlinks, coilovers, lightweight but strong rims, and great tires (hankook rs3, bridgestone re11, michelin supersports) should should do you well.

edit:
i forgot to add, upgrade brake pads!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Wow, the first thing is what are you doing? Are you running AutoX? If autox don't do anything or it will knock you up a level to where you won't even come close to being competitive. Tires are the best thing you can do, then learn to drive. Other items don't mean squat if you don't know your car first. Run it in its current state with some good tires. Tires are by far the best mod you can make.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 AM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
Wow, the first thing is what are you doing? Are you running AutoX? If autox don't do anything or it will knock you up a level to where you won't even come close to being competitive. Tires are the best thing you can do, then learn to drive. Other items don't mean squat if you don't know your car first. Run it in its current state with some good tires. Tires are by far the best mod you can make.
i dont think hes competing for points or classes, but if thats the case he needs to find a 1000 lbs weight reduction and better rear end. i do autox once a month just for fun. ill only compete if they take your weight of the car over the seconds you ran. then the g37 might have a chance. but they dont do that and wont so i try to show up 370z and 350z's becuase then it shows how much better of a driver i am than them lol this car is an underdog in the autox so dont expect to compete and win in something its not made for but have a blast doing it anyway!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:44 AM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 37hevn
i dont think hes competing for points or classes, but if thats the case he needs to find a 1000 lbs weight reduction and better rear end. i do autox once a month just for fun. ill only compete if they take your weight of the car over the seconds you ran. then the g37 might have a chance. but they dont do that and wont so i try to show up 370z and 350z's becuase then it shows how much better of a driver i am than them lol this car is an underdog in the autox so dont expect to compete and win in something its not made for but have a blast doing it anyway!
Agreed but most people don't know that brakes are the most important part. So I hope OP has brakes that are in good shape because once again, you can have all the best parts, best tires, but if you have no brakes than you are going off road or going into a wall. I've seen this happen many many times.

So if you know your brake are in good condition go for sways. Probably the best mod for autox.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DashKid
Agreed but most people don't know that brakes are the most important part. So I hope OP has brakes that are in good shape because once again, you can have all the best parts, best tires, but if you have no brakes than you are going off road or going into a wall. I've seen this happen many many times.

So if you know your brake are in good condition go for sways. Probably the best mod for autox.
my strut bar did more than sways like i said and its almost half the price. but yes brakes are important too
Old 06-04-2012, 02:39 PM
ZiadR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your brakes are good, go for the sways... I have Generation 3 intakes, they sound nice but they won't give you a difference on a track.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyline6mt
Do break pads and fluid and then sways if it's a road course. Intakes would be a nice addition but theyd have no where near the same impact
I'm going on a road course and it's not very warm here so I dont need an oil cooler.

I'm thinking sways, plus brake pads and fluid. What do ppl recommend for pads that are low dust?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I would imagine you don't want low Dust pads for tracking purposes. You want pads that won't fade during high heat, cause you're probably going to be using your brakes a lot.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Depending on how hard you're pushing the car and how many laps in a session, you may be unpleasantly surprised how easy it is to get your oil temps hot enough to go into limp mode.

Track compound pads are typically going to dust quite a lot, you can find street pads that are low dusting but they won't benefit you on a track.

Suspension upgrades are your friend if you are a beginner or even intermediate.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
toyzforme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did a track day here at Carolina Motorsport Park and I am very glad that I had the Carbotech XP10 pads. I had great stopping power up until the 25-28 min part of the session. I even had a brake duct cooling system so I can imagine what it would have been without it. The one thing to remember is TURN OFF TRACTION CONTROL, as I forgot one session and by the end of the 4th session I was running metal to metal on the rear rotors. That ended my day. Lucky for me they were able to turn the slotted rotors I had.

It is just as hot here in South Carolina as it is in Tampa so I bet you go into limp mode. I also was running the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and WOW after 4 sessions I couldn't even tell I put any wear on them and they handled perfectly on the track.

Retorgue your rims after the second session as you will find that you will get about a 1/4 turn on each lug. I don't know what track your going to be running on but the one I did was very hard on brakes so I suggest brakes as your upgrade. Nothing like doing 110 down the straights to put a smile on your face.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
I am starting to wonder if my 08 sport (stock) will handle a track day. I've been planning to go out and do a few laps (do 1-2 laps, wait 20-30 min, go again). I am worried this might not be a good idea :S

I'd really like to see what I can do around a corner, but I have a feeling I might get carried away and overheat my oil, destroy my brakes, destroy my already balding tires.

Can I get by with the 1-2 lap, rest, 1-2 lap, rest, ... etc. strategy?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 PM
toyzforme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably not as they go in 20 min sessions. If your cant pass tech they wont even allow it on the track. Bald tires are one thing they check
Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by blackvr4tt
I'm going on a road course and it's not very warm here so I dont need an oil cooler.

I'm thinking sways, plus brake pads and fluid. What do ppl recommend for pads that are low dust?
Skip the sways for now. Learn the car and the lines. Again if this is your first few times, any decent instructor will not let you push the car and your skills beyond each limits. If you just want to mod, get whatever. Going to track as a means to justify a mod is not a good way to approach things. You will end up over-confident and overdrive the car beyond your own skill level. It's the same reason you don't use slicks early on.

Originally Posted by Dough1397
I am starting to wonder if my 08 sport (stock) will handle a track day. I've been planning to go out and do a few laps (do 1-2 laps, wait 20-30 min, go again). I am worried this might not be a good idea :S

I'd really like to see what I can do around a corner, but I have a feeling I might get carried away and overheat my oil, destroy my brakes, destroy my already balding tires.

Can I get by with the 1-2 lap, rest, 1-2 lap, rest, ... etc. strategy?
You can always pit anytime you want. Although it will take 2 laps to properly warm up your systems. Also, you do not have to push beyond your limits. Unless you will be in a race, hitting the road course is more about learning vehicle dynamics, lines and where you fall short than all out beating the daylights out of your car during your first few sessions or hpde's.

I ran my sedan on oem everything my first few times out. In succeeding sessions, i determined where i and the car felt short and made adjustments either in terms of aftermarket parts, or how i approach and rebalance the car in prep of a turn, etc.

Quick Reply: TRACK DAY - Intake, Sways or Brakes??