Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Raced my 08 G37s vs 12 IPL 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by v.b
you coulda pulled off sub-2.0 60' with drag radials im sure which would have gotten you closer to 13 1/4
yea, i looked into that but didnt feel like spending money for 16 or 17 inch rims, then buying slicks, then swapping them just for the drag. but yea it would help the 60 if i did that and then the driveshaft it would be close to 13 im sure, but i did all my upgrades in a year of owning it and im done lol i learned a lot with my upgrades and in 3 years when i look for a different car i will know much more, like when to stop lol
Old 02-26-2012, 09:12 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
You may have lost a lot of your low end with your boltons.. Also IPL is on 7speed not 5 speed.

The stock intakes do a very good job of keep the lowend tight.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:15 PM
v.b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its still not too late to sell all those mods and buy a set of drag radials... just sayin.

modding cars means different things to different people. if you enjoyed doing those mods (assuming you installed most yourself), then it was money well spent.

admitting to making a mistake when picking a platform to mod is ok. we all live and learn, from either our mistake or from others...
Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 PM
R3al_L3git

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Damn.... maybe i should stop buying products :,(
Old 02-26-2012, 09:26 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
you can get some decent lightweight rims that are still aesthetically pleasing for around 2k... dont necessarily need volks. something like weds will save yo a good amount of unsprung weight.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
For sheer performance in these cars, IMO anything more than 1 bolt on and you start losing major bang for your buck.
Those NA bolt-ons have been known to reduce low end torque which is essential in a 5AT at the track.
The best launch method for a 5AT is to turn off VDC and just stomp the gas. Sometimes under certain conditions, leaving VDC on gets better results.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:39 AM
lilenday

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
For sheer performance in these cars, IMO anything more than 1 bolt on and you start losing major bang for your buck.
Those NA bolt-ons have been known to reduce low end torque which is essential in a 5AT at the track.
The best launch method for a 5AT is to turn off VDC and just stomp the gas. Sometimes under certain conditions, leaving VDC on gets better results.
I beg to differ. Low end torque after tune I made 17wtq @ 3200rpm. I agree on the launch method though. I used my Torque app and did a quick 0-60 and leaving VDC on with my all season tires is better than VDC off. 0-60 with VDC off I got 6 sec, with it on I got a 5.5sec.

Op, I think with better tires like RE050 you will get better 1/4 mile time.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Don't take the drag strip too serious to be honest, Infiniti did not design the car for that purpose

And bolt-ons are mostly sound adders, don't worship the numbers your read on stillens website
Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I agree. I just had this very same convo with my brother (who has been building up engines on various cars for YEARS now).

Guys,

There is only so much you can do with these basic bolt-ons. The MAIN point is to eliminate "restrictions" to air flow which in Infiniti's case is often to reduce sound. After that point, you're just basically playing with the power band. It's a classic case of where do you want to feel your power... (I would LOVE to see a bolt-on mod that actually IMPROVES low-end power and TQ). Unfortunately with these cars, Max HP is at a VERY ridiculous place, up at 7,000 rpm. 7,000 RPM. Thats just STUPID! LOL.

Unfortunately a lot of people aren't informed enough to know that you can't just add all of these bolt-ons and expect each one to add more and more power. You actually gain and then lose and then gain and lose all over the power band... Thats because you are dealing STRICTLY with air... What about fuel? What about back-pressure? What about shift points?

Also, When you start getting into headers on a N/A car, often times you lose a tremendous amount of bottom end, slowing your car on the launch and in the lower power band. I PERSONALLY think you could pic up a .1 or maybe .2 on your 1/4 mile time if you put the stock headers back on.

Lastly, why is that weak-*** IPL even something to compare to? They did NOTHING to the engine. It's not like it's the M3 verse a 325i or 335i, LOL. Im still mad at Infiniti for making a "performance" model without actually enhancing the ENGINE a la S4, M3, AMG, etc... Thats just a joke.

Honestly bro, you should be proud that for about $2,000 your car can be 2/10th faster than Infiniti's "performance" model. Thats actually a good achievement. If you want to knock off more than 1/2 second, you need forced Induction. Bolt-ons are mostly for driving aesthetics and feel, not actual track results.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 AM
DashKid
Banned

LOL at people who think the G is meant to go fast like a bullet. Really people if you want a fast car you guys should of gotten a 335i or an s5. G's are meant to be luxurious at the same time have some kick into it. There are plenty of Track vids of our car where it gets left in the dust by evo, sti, 335i around the track. So just shows that our cars are not meant for the track and not suppose to be fast.

At the OP do you have a ecu flash because I heard that is the best way to get gains for our car.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
OP, look at it this way. You've got a clear 2mph advantage in trap. That means you are making power.

Turn that 1/4 into 1/2 or even a full mile and chances are that IPL will be quite left behind.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
37hevn

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Don't take the drag strip too serious to be honest, Infiniti did not design the car for that purpose

And bolt-ons are mostly sound adders, don't worship the numbers your read on stillens website
Like I said before, I know these werent designed to be drag cars. And im not going off the stillen website for numbers, ive dyno my car 14 times doing before and afters and I have gained something after every thing i added. Im around 50 gained hp
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 AM
37hevn

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
I agree. I just had this very same convo with my brother (who has been building up engines on various cars for YEARS now).

Guys,

There is only so much you can do with these basic bolt-ons. The MAIN point is to eliminate "restrictions" to air flow which in Infiniti's case is often to reduce sound. After that point, you're just basically playing with the power band. It's a classic case of where do you want to feel your power... (I would LOVE to see a bolt-on mod that actually IMPROVES low-end power and TQ). Unfortunately with these cars, Max HP is at a VERY ridiculous place, up at 7,000 rpm. 7,000 RPM. Thats just STUPID! LOL.

Unfortunately a lot of people aren't informed enough to know that you can't just add all of these bolt-ons and expect each one to add more and more power. You actually gain and then lose and then gain and lose all over the power band... Thats because you are dealing STRICTLY with air... What about fuel? What about back-pressure? What about shift points?

Also, When you start getting into headers on a N/A car, often times you lose a tremendous amount of bottom end, slowing your car on the launch and in the lower power band. I PERSONALLY think you could pic up a .1 or maybe .2 on your 1/4 mile time if you put the stock headers back on.

Lastly, why is that weak-*** IPL even something to compare to? They did NOTHING to the engine. It's not like it's the M3 verse a 325i or 335i, LOL. Im still mad at Infiniti for making a "performance" model without actually enhancing the ENGINE a la S4, M3, AMG, etc... Thats just a joke.

Honestly bro, you should be proud that for about $2,000 your car can be 2/10th faster than Infiniti's "performance" model. Thats actually a good achievement. If you want to knock off more than 1/2 second, you need forced Induction. Bolt-ons are mostly for driving aesthetics and feel, not actual track results.
Made some good points, but these cars do have some power and I didnt expect it to be m3 or 335 power. I dynoed before and after headers and gained 8hp throughout the entire curve. These arent longtube and I still have hfc so im not at the point of losing power. and I did race before my headers and i was in the 13.7s so i actually gained time, not to mention a little less weight with aftermarket headers.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 AM
37hevn

Originally Posted by DashKid
LOL at people who think the G is meant to go fast like a bullet. Really people if you want a fast car you guys should of gotten a 335i or an s5. G's are meant to be luxurious at the same time have some kick into it. There are plenty of Track vids of our car where it gets left in the dust by evo, sti, 335i around the track. So just shows that our cars are not meant for the track and not suppose to be fast.

At the OP do you have a ecu flash because I heard that is the best way to get gains for our car.
I dont think my g is suppose to fast like a bullet. but i have raced an evo with mods and he couldnt break 14, his new one barely broke it at 13.9. those small time rally cars dont have top end at all because they arent made for the strip just like another car...

Please dont tell me the purpose of these cars, ive said it on here a few times, i know what these cars were made for. Im at the track to see what the bolts did for me. i gained whp on the dyno and before some mods my best time was 14.1 but now im at 13.5, so i have gained time.

My ecu is not flashed, i returned the hypertech and got uprev and got it dyno tuned. 277/252 to 290/259 on a mustang dyno.

Last edited by 37hevn; 02-27-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
37hevn

Originally Posted by soundmike
OP, look at it this way. You've got a clear 2mph advantage in trap. That means you are making power.

Turn that 1/4 into 1/2 or even a full mile and chances are that IPL will be quite left behind.
just thought i would be further ahead of the ipl, to be honest i didnt think he would break 14 just from what i had seen with my car, but i was wrong lol

Quick Reply: Raced my 08 G37s vs 12 IPL 1/4