Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Tracking car - is an oil cooler a must?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 AM
PascalT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tracking car - is an oil cooler a must?

I'm taking my '10 G sedan to the track on June 17th. I've read here that some G's would have required an oil cooler when pushed too much on the track. For possibly a one or two-time thing this year, is it worth to get one? I think the 1st event is around 20 laps.

any other component I should look at? My car is pretty much stock. I just did an oil change recently and I will likely change the brake fluids before the track day.

thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 10:01 AM
colburs

Is this your first time?

Never driven my G at the track so I can't give you any first hand experience about needing an OC but I have lots of track days in other cars and in my experience newbies go in thinking they will push the car hard and ultimately end up tip toeing around the track because there's so much coming at them, so much to learn, fear factor, other cars in the way, etc keeping the pace down. At the beginner level you can also short shift the car as habit and not impact your day.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Our cars run really hot and you will most likely go in to limp mode if you are on the track for any significant amount of time without an oil cooler.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:40 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
As asked above, is this your first time? If this is an HPDE, chances are you won't be pushing the car much in the green group with an instructor on board

Also, which track? Some are easier on the car than others.

The VHR's seem to run much hotter than the HR's, which i have and it's been on 30m laps smack in the middle of Texas summer without issue. So, it may be worth you while to get a cooler.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:21 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you plan to push the car hard in 20 minute+ sessions, I think it is a good idea. I really depends on the track, weather, and how you drive more than anything. As mentioned, our cars definitely run hotter than the average, and are prone to going into limp mode on the track.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:02 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
plus 1 i wouldnt hit the track without one
Old 05-27-2011, 01:06 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
yes you need one as well as a tranny cooler. I was at an hpde and I went into limp mode in my last session. Its not that much money really to ensure the safety of your luxury car. I installed them 2 days after my track day.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:48 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're planning to go to the track regularly, definitely invest in one.

If you're just going to try it, wait on getting one.

I went into limp mode last session at a NIGHT time track event. But the limp mode wasn't that bad, just cut the rev limit down to 6k. There's still plenty to do, like learning when to brake, driving the line.....etc.

Last edited by ucla bruin; 05-27-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PascalT
I'm taking my '10 G sedan to the track on June 17th. I've read here that some G's would have required an oil cooler when pushed too much on the track. For possibly a one or two-time thing this year, is it worth to get one? I think the 1st event is around 20 laps.

any other component I should look at? My car is pretty much stock. I just did an oil change recently and I will likely change the brake fluids before the track day.

thanks
What is your experience with any sort of high performance driving?

If this is your first time, whether you overheat or not is how well your instructor guides you; most people with a decent instructor will overheat and hit limp their first day.

The so-cal G/Zs that track are all running massive 48 or 72 row oil coolers; thats the only way they can hit equilibrium without overheating. If its your first time, go stock, and discover what the weak points on your car are for yourself before changing things. You want to be able to see the tangible benefits of every change.

If you do want to go overboard, then I'd do the following:

engine oil cooler
fresh engine oil
fresh trans fluid
fresh brake fluid
Semi-race pads

Also, for your first track day, make sure that unless you're specifically threshold braking, that you're braking at full ABS.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
If you're planning to go to the track regularly, definitely invest in one.

If you're just going to try it, wait on getting one.

I want into limp mode last session at a NIGHT time track event. But the limp mode wasn't that bad, just cut the rev limit down to 6k. There's still plenty to do, like learning when to brake, driving the line.....etc.
^^ He hit limp mode in ~50 degree ambient temps at night on his FIRST track day.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:54 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question:

In addition to track benefits, does an oil cooler allow you to run longer OCI's under normal driving conditions?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I love to drive. I love to drive fast. But I gotta hand it to you fellas with the huevos to track your cars.

I'd be too afraid of wrecking it.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by MACS
I love to drive. I love to drive fast. But I gotta hand it to you fellas with the huevos to track your cars.

I'd be too afraid of wrecking it.
The slow guys don't wreck. It's the guys that are trying to set new personal bests and pushing that wreck...

Originally Posted by CougarRed
Question:

In addition to track benefits, does an oil cooler allow you to run longer OCI's under normal driving conditions?
Yes, but not much more; this is due to the larger oil capacity from the oil cooler, rather than lower temps, and only if you separately drain the oil cooler to insure you are draining the whole system.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:25 PM
PascalT

Wow a lot of info quickly, thanks.

Yes it's my first time. It's an evening event @ ICAR ICAR | Complexe de sports motorisés à Mirabel - Karting - Voitures There will be an instructor with me and they are pooling beginners together. I have no experience whatsoever with fast driving (that's why I want to try this really)

So consensus is wait and see? I do plan on going more than once. I'll tell the instructor about the possibility of heating up too much..

They give everyone a checklist of things to do on the car before tracking it, including flushing out the brake/steering fluids. Is this 100% mandatory? My car has around 13k KM on it.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:38 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probably don't have to do the fluids before you go this time, but you should do it before you go again. If you do the brake fluid, upgrade to something like Motul RBF600 that has a higher boiling temp. This will also help on the track (I would personally do a higher performance pad and stainless steel brake lines at the same time if you are doing the fluid).

Quick Reply: Tracking car - is an oil cooler a must?