Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Tracking car - is an oil cooler a must?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PascalT
Wow a lot of info quickly, thanks.

Yes it's my first time. It's an evening event @ ICAR ICAR | Complexe de sports motorisés à Mirabel - Karting - Voitures There will be an instructor with me and they are pooling beginners together. I have no experience whatsoever with fast driving (that's why I want to try this really)

So consensus is wait and see? I do plan on going more than once. I'll tell the instructor about the possibility of heating up too much..

They give everyone a checklist of things to do on the car before tracking it, including flushing out the brake/steering fluids. Is this 100% mandatory? My car has around 13k KM on it.
Unless you're 100% sure you're going to be doing this again, I would just go without changing anything. If you're close to your next oil change, then do that, but nothing else.

If you hit limp mode at the track, change your oil after the track day.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:53 PM
wilbcol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just tracked my 10 vert a couple of weeks ago. i would invest in the performance brake pads before going again, not that the stock pads faded too bad but when they do over heat they will not stop the car. a 370z was wadded by one of the car magazines because the brakes went off so quickly. i plan to go the track a couple times a year and i have an oil cooler as well as trans cooler on the way. just watch your oil level, we do not have dry sump oil systems so it is possible (though not probable) you could starve the main bearings of oil. the corvettes that were running that day (corvette club track day) were adding an extra quart of oil just to be safe. i would also check and set your tire pressures. most of all have fun and really explore the limits of your car in a safe enviroment, you will be amazed.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
What is your experience with any sort of high performance driving?

If this is your first time, whether you overheat or not is how well your instructor guides you; most people with a decent instructor will overheat and hit limp their first day.

The so-cal G/Zs that track are all running massive 48 or 72 row oil coolers; thats the only way they can hit equilibrium without overheating. If its your first time, go stock, and discover what the weak points on your car are for yourself before changing things. You want to be able to see the tangible benefits of every change.

If you do want to go overboard, then I'd do the following:

engine oil cooler
fresh engine oil
fresh trans fluid
fresh brake fluid
Semi-race pads

Also, for your first track day, make sure that unless you're specifically threshold braking, that you're braking at full ABS.
FULL ABS? Really...??? I'm not too familiar with tracking, and I'm afraid to even try without even being able to heel-toe. For my own understanding...optimizing speed in corners (RWD): slam on brakes (FULL ABS), cut in and follow through out of the corner WOT? I've always been curious as to whether or not most people stay on the gas during the corners or stay completely off. RWD cars are prone to understeer when you're off the throttle and oversteer when on the throttle yes?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by eksigned
FULL ABS? Really...??? I'm not too familiar with tracking, and I'm afraid to even try without even being able to heel-toe. For my own understanding...optimizing speed in corners (RWD): slam on brakes (FULL ABS), cut in and follow through out of the corner WOT? I've always been curious as to whether or not most people stay on the gas during the corners or stay completely off. RWD cars are prone to understeer when you're off the throttle and oversteer when on the throttle yes?
Given that beginners are taught to brake in a straight line, and complete braking before turning, yes, full ABS.

Is that what I do? No. I threshold brake and trail brake into virtually every turn. I run a setup that would understeer at turn-in if I were to do the "brake straight and turn". Braking dictates my car's weight balance at turn in, which consequently determines if I'll be under or oversteering at turn in. This would apply to most RWD cars in some way shape or form.

Then again, I generally run a time attack line versus a racing line, and can drive abusively when it comes to tire longevity.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:24 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
If you hit limp mode at the track, change your oil after the track day.

Even if you had your oil changed 4 days b4 the track day?
Old 05-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
Yup. Cooked oil isn't good.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:56 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
I think his point is that if you hit limp mode, your oil is going to be shot.