Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Mid Ohio PDX 7/30

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:52 AM
rossab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid Ohio PDX 7/30

So I took my car to Mid Ohio sports car course yesterday for a pdx that the cincy scca was putting on. I ran into a couple of issues. The car was fairly well prepped for the event. Hoosier R6's, HP plus pads, Ate Super blue brake fluid, Coil over suspension set up for the track.

So during the first session, I bent the rear camber arms. The are the Ichiba ones you can get off of ebay for $150. I'm pretty sure they are just re-branded SPC kits. Does anyone know if the SPL kits are more rigid?

I bent the arms back just in time for session 2, but the alignment was so far off that it wasn't drivable. I did an on the fly alignment during the lunch break, and the car handled pretty well in session 3, but it was a lot looser than in session one.

For the final session, I ended up bleeding the tires down to 32 psi. The car handled pretty well in the fourth session. It was a 25 minute session instead of the 20 minute sessions I had done earlier in the day. I ran into two additional problems. The clutch started to fade. It was still usable, but I only had about half a pedal. Right afterwards, I boiled the power-steering fluid and lost power steering.

Any suggestions of fixes?
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM
rossab

Has anyone tried any other fluid in the clutch?

I just ordered the spl camber kit. I'm going to relocate the power steering cooler. With those two problems solved, I just need to figure out something to do to keep the clutch from fading.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:44 PM
rossab

New camber arms compared to old bent arms.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow those Ichiba arms were puny. What's the status of the clutch?

You tracked with no oil cooler and didn't get limp mode? That's a positive amongst all the bad things.

PS how far is the drive from cincy? I might want to hit up a track day when I'm back in town.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I wonder with the clutch if you were starting to boil the fluid... maybe purge out the old and upgrade to a more capable fluid like what you're using in the brakes. As for the power steering you need to get rid of the factory fill and go with Redline's Synthetic Power Steering fluid. I used to autox a Neon and boiled cheap p/s fluid until I changed it over to Redline and never had a problem after. Been using it on all my cars since.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=79&pcid=27 - Redline makes some very good products, their MTL trans gear lube also works wonders for rough shifting.

Those camber arms are skinny, no wonder why they bent.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:53 PM
rossab

I've got the stillen oil cooler. No problem with limp mode. It's a little over a 2 hr drive.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:17 PM
rossab

I'm fairly certain the ichiba are just rebranded SPC kits. They look exactly the same. I think I'm going to switch out the clutch fluid to the ate super blue to match the brakes.

Does anyone have a clue how much is needed?

I need to drain the fluid for the power steering anyway. I threw in some cheep speedway atf on the way home from the track just to get power steering back. The power steering goes in and out now. I'm hoping it's just the fluid, and the pump wasn't damage when boiled it.

I'm also going to relocate the power steering cooler. I haven't finalized a location yet. I'm going to play around with it once I pull the bumper cover off.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:26 PM
strdr19

what kind are the new camber arms?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:02 PM
rossab

The new ones are SPL