Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

heading to the dragstrip with my stock '09s sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:23 PM
MOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heading to the dragstrip with my stock '09s sedan

what can I TRULY expect for ET and mph through the traps? Also going with a buddy that's got an '06 6MT coupe and another with an '02 Indy version Vette. Any known comparison's on these at the strip? Lastly, for those that frequent the 1/4, what tire pressures would be recommended?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 PM
1fastbob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think mid to upper 13's at around 103 mph depending on the altitude of the track. (Note: if you run quicker than 13.99 at an NHRA track you will need an approved helmet). Try a rear tire pressure of 22 to 26 psi and air the fronts up as high as you can withour exceeding the max. air pressure that is stamped on the sidewall of the tire. Remove spare tire and any other excess baggage in the vehicle and take it to the track with 1/4 tank or less fuel and run with the a/c off. The Vette will win and you should be second fastest over the 06 Coupe. Just my educated guess at the times...........
Also please be aware that your vehicle insurance may not cover you if you have an accident while racing at the track. Might be a good idea if you contact your insurance carrier for details.

Good Luck

Bob
Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 PM
typesblkura

I've seen stock VQ35HR sedans do 13.5 stock so you should be around there or even hopefully lower!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 PM
MyG37xS 10

Dont the 06 6MT's come with 298hp ? I hd a 06 G35 AUTO and I remember that the 6mt came with a little more hp. Your G37s will be slightly faster the 06 coupe and slightly slower then the VETTE. Upper 13's is my guess for the G's with mid 13 for the vette.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I did a 13.66 the other day in muggy heat @ 102, 4th run. Just a tune, non-sport, no LSD so my 60' is always around 2.2-2.4. I average a 5.18 - 5.22 0-60. My tire pressure was stock. I'd drop it about 5-7 psi in the rear. I should have...
Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you guys do burnouts at the drag strip before racing? I've read it's a bit tough in this car even with the vdc off button because it does not really completely turn it off.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 AM
1fastbob

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Do you guys do burnouts at the drag strip before racing? I've read it's a bit tough in this car even with the vdc off button because it does not really completely turn it off.
Burnouts on street tires don't do much except grind the tread away. Also drive around the water box as the water will get on the front tires and drip on the track and you will spin in the water that dripped.

Bob
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fastbob
Burnouts on street tires don't do much except grind the tread away. Also drive around the water box as the water will get on the front tires and drip on the track and you will spin in the water that dripped.

Bob
Good to know. Yeah, excess wear was another thing I wasn't too keen about.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:29 PM
MOB

Thanks for the info & tips. But wouldn't ya know it....rain drops just started falling. No runs tonight.....bummer.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fastbob

Bob
Finally! Thanks Bob, I'm glad to see someone out there understands that doing burnouts with street tires is pretty pointless. At most I've seen the guys in the know just spin them a revolution or two to clean off the tread, but that is it... don't need a smoke show since it kills the tread and makes them greasy. Avoid the water box if you can.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM
MOB

So the raindrops stayed away after all & the track was open. The liklihood of poor weather kept the car count down but there were about 50 out there last night....more runs for us. Imports, newer vettes & mustangs & camaro's, older American muscle, bugs, and even some heavy diesels. Great advice on the burnouts...totally unnecessary. Just pulled around the water box and went straight to the line in my factory stock S-sedan that doesn't even have plates on it yet. What an absolute blast! Traction control off, paddles engaged, load the suspension at the line....and away we went. Amazed at how well the car launched. Made 11 passes....my first 11 ever at the lights on a real dragstrip. Here's the results....

Best mph = 105.40mph
Best ET = 13.61 sec
Best RT = .09
Best complete run = 13.61 @ 105.40 with RT of .25
11-run mph avg = 104.22mph
11-run ET avg = 13.83 sec
11-run RT avg = .30

I highly recommend taking an opportunity to go out to your local strip for street night if you have the chance. Had great battles against a 350z with all the bolt-ons, twice took down a TT 300z that dude couldn't get hooked up, laid the smackdown on several mean-sounding 5.0 notchbacks, spanked on some Hondas of course, and even ran an F250 Super Duty that ran 13.69 to my 13.61. Unfortunately I broke out in round 1 because I had no idea what I was doing with the dial-in...now I know & will have a chance next time out. All in all a great night of adrenaline. Considering I have not touched this car at all....very pleased and am definitely going back.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:01 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How many miles have you got on your car?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:02 PM
XILAR8N

Nice runs! I love going to the drag strip, but I haven't yet run the G.

My last car was an 01 Corvette that ran 12.8's at 112. So, the G isn't as fast, but it's fast enough and safely transports my son in the backseat. Anyway, I would be very happy to run mid 13's with it.

I have a couple of quesitons for you. First, what were your 60' times? Second, if you were shifting it yourself what RPM did you pull the paddle? I've found that I have to shift just after 6K so it won't hit the rev limiter. I HATE THE DELAY!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:15 PM
MOB

Originally Posted by movinon
How many miles have you got on your car?
the answer to that depends on if you work for Infiniti or any of it's affiliates. LoL
Old 05-20-2010, 02:40 PM
MOB

Originally Posted by XILAR8N
Nice runs! I love going to the drag strip, but I haven't yet run the G.

My last car was an 01 Corvette that ran 12.8's at 112. So, the G isn't as fast, but it's fast enough and safely transports my son in the backseat. Anyway, I would be very happy to run mid 13's with it.

I have a couple of quesitons for you. First, what were your 60' times? Second, if you were shifting it yourself what RPM did you pull the paddle? I've found that I have to shift just after 6K so it won't hit the rev limiter. I HATE THE DELAY!
Keep in mind....I had the spare tire, golf clubs, a camp chair, laptop, and a carseat in the trunk and never touched my tire pressures....went from the office straight to the strip on a whim with 2/3 tank of premium.
60's were 2.10-2.30
pulling paddles around 65-6600 which put the shift just before/at red. At least I think I was pretty consistent with that. So funny, I don't think I looked down at the cluster long enough to read anything all night. Accidentally left the a/c-defrost on for one of the runs and it didn't change a thing. Still ran 13.71.

On the topic of the shift delay, I've heard installing a ground wire kit can help to reduce that lag...any truth to that? WTF does a ground wire kit accomplish? I'm definitely the turn the key & go guy, have no idea about this technical stuff.....

Quick Reply: heading to the dragstrip with my stock '09s sedan