Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

heading to the dragstrip with my stock '09s sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:18 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MOB
Unfortunately I broke out in round 1 because I had no idea what I was doing with the dial-in...now I know & will have a chance next time out.
Can you translate that for me? I just have all these questions because I'm heading out to the drag strip for the first time myself this summer and I'm trying to do some homework first.

Sounds like you had a great time! Can't wait.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:35 PM
MOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is about as simple as I understand it....again, this was my first time ever driving at a true racing facility.

pass one was a test pass. ran 13.99
pass two was a test pass. ran 14.18 (although I read the wrong sige of the ticket and thought I had run 14.44) duuuur, don't forget which lane you ran. LoL

After that they asked for the "dial-in" numbers that get posted on your windows. The ET that you think you can run closest to without going any quicker. So knowing that my first was 13.99 and "thinking" my second was 14.44...I dialed in at 14.15 because it had been drizzling so I was thinking about traction issues. Then in the first round I ran a 13.85 and broke out...went too quick vs. my dial-in and was eliminated. The rest of the night's passes were just for fun vs. various other vehicles.

Make sense? So after 11 passes last night I now have a much better idea on what I should've dialed in. Next time I'll post up something closer to 13.60
Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 PM
1fastbob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MOB
this is about as simple as I understand it....again, this was my first time ever driving at a true racing facility.

pass one was a test pass. ran 13.99
pass two was a test pass. ran 14.18 (although I read the wrong sige of the ticket and thought I had run 14.44) duuuur, don't forget which lane you ran. LoL

After that they asked for the "dial-in" numbers that get posted on your windows. The ET that you think you can run closest to without going any quicker. So knowing that my first was 13.99 and "thinking" my second was 14.44...I dialed in at 14.15 because it had been drizzling so I was thinking about traction issues. Then in the first round I ran a 13.85 and broke out...went too quick vs. my dial-in and was eliminated. The rest of the night's passes were just for fun vs. various other vehicles.

Make sense? So after 11 passes last night I now have a much better idea on what I should've dialed in. Next time I'll post up something closer to 13.60
Take the crap out of the trunk and go with a quarter tank of fuel and let some air out of those rear tires and I'll bet it will run a 13.50 or maybe a tad quicker. Great times and trap speed! I would be interested in hearing about any comments other drivers made about your suprisingly fast sedan.

Bob
Old 05-21-2010, 12:25 AM
SM_Shadowman

Thanks for the info MOB, I'm starting to get it. The wikipedia page on drag racing also explained it a bit. The idea is to pair you up against similar dial-ins or use it as a handicap of sorts?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:00 PM
4DOORFUN

Nice times! This is a sub-14 second car. I think one of the car magazines just ran 13.6 in a super sport sedan shootout.

Although I wouldn’t run at the track with it on, the AC/defrost clutch disengages at high rpms. What’s worse is your dripping condensation on the race track.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:10 AM
vincenzo420

ya i definitely wanna take mine to the track... But bro, you shoulda tried and put that ****er near the max... atleast 140.. I usually get up to 90-95mph everynight on the way home from work on I-95 .. I still wanna see what kinda power this thing has over 100 mph.. The fastest ive gone on the highway so far was just a little shy of 100 so ya the track is constantly on my mind.. I think ill take it to the Homestead Speedway some time soon... Was there a reason that you didnt go faster than 105mph?

Last edited by vincenzo420; 05-23-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 AM
ged1067

I assume the speedometer is accurate. When I had about 3k I was on 95 doing 80 and came behind an irritating driver. Without thinking, I spepped on the gas and in just a few seconds was doing 120! Didn't expect it and it scared the sh** out of me. But at least I know what the car can do...it's a monster!!!

GED
Old 05-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by vincenzo420
ya i definitely wanna take mine to the track... But bro, you shoulda tried and put that ****er near the max... atleast 140.. I usually get up to 90-95mph everynight on the way home from work on I-95 .. I still wanna see what kinda power this thing has over 100 mph.. The fastest ive gone on the highway so far was just a little shy of 100 so ya the track is constantly on my mind.. I think ill take it to the Homestead Speedway some time soon... Was there a reason that you didnt go faster than 105mph?
Umm he ran on a dragstrip, 105mph is what the car was capable of doing in a calculated 1320' (1/4 mile) stretch of legal road. Drag strips aren't designed for top speed runs since they aren't too much longer, only enough room to brake the car down to a safe speed and exit. Maybe you're thinking of a road course which usually have longer straights, but I doubt you're going to get close to max speed even on those unless it has a huge front straight.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:59 PM
MOB

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Thanks for the info MOB, I'm starting to get it. The wikipedia page on drag racing also explained it a bit. The idea is to pair you up against similar dial-ins or use it as a handicap of sorts?
yup....you got it now. going again on June 2 if anyone is in the Sacramento area. $15 & run all night. Will definitely be lightening the load and dropping rear tire pressures as well to see if this thing will run close to 13.5. Although, if I leave it the same I know the dial-in. Either way, this was my first time out & had such a great time. Totally solidifed why I bought this car....she's quick I tell ya & I can load the kids in and run to the store! The cockeyed looks I got from the guys running their modded 5.0's with cages was the icing on the cake....they had no chance. And no, it wasn't even close.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:02 PM
MOB

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
Nice times! This is a sub-14 second car. I think one of the car magazines just ran 13.6 in a super sport sedan shootout.

Although I wouldn’t run at the track with it on, the AC/defrost clutch disengages at high rpms. What’s worse is your dripping condensation on the race track.
It was an error....windows fogged in the staging lanes so I turned it on to clear the glass & forgot to shut it down when I pulled to the line.....when the adrenaline's pumping the only thing I was thinking about was nailing a good light.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 PM
MOB

Originally Posted by Adam West
Umm he ran on a dragstrip, 105mph is what the car was capable of doing in a calculated 1320' (1/4 mile) stretch of legal road. Drag strips aren't designed for top speed runs since they aren't too much longer, only enough room to brake the car down to a safe speed and exit. Maybe you're thinking of a road course which usually have longer straights, but I doubt you're going to get close to max speed even on those unless it has a huge front straight.
yeah, what he said.... going to run her out at Thunderhill Raceway in NoCal this summer to see how she runs on a road course...after the Eibach/Hotchkis combo goes in.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM
MOB

Heading back to the strip tomorrow night with a lighter load...empty trunk, less than 1/4 tank, and rr tires dropped to around 24/25lbs. Hoping to get into the low 13.5's or perhaps even the upper 13.4's this time around.

Think she'll get that low?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:41 PM
2009Black

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cut a 2.0 60' time and you should have a 13.4 timeslip. That's easier said than done though
Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM
MOB

Originally Posted by 2009Black
Cut a 2.0 60' time and you should have a 13.4 timeslip. That's easier said than done though
indeed it is....last time out my best 60' was 2.1. Perhaps I can better that this time around and get her into 13.4's. So ready, it's on tonight.....anyone in Sactown?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:26 PM
zoner

not buying a used car from any of you guys..lol

Quick Reply: heading to the dragstrip with my stock '09s sedan