Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Yet another Sedan vs. Coupe - @ TRACK -

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike P
The coupe is heavy because of the extra reinforcements that the doors need to meet crash guidelines. The suspension is different. i have a non-sport coupe and it rides firmer than my sport sedan, both are AWD.

The only car you buy for the track time is something exotic. Although these cars run well, I would not say they are exotic. Poeple buy 4-doors or 2-doors based on syling and preference not track time or wieght. If you bought this car for the track skils, then I think you bought the wrong car.
What an understatement. although exotics are rare on the track, and the vast majority that do show up need a driver mod badly.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 PM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike P
The suspension is different. i have a non-sport coupe and it rides firmer than my sport sedan, both are AWD.
Sorry, but if you have an AWD sedan with sport package, you don't have the sport suspension.

I'm nearly 100% sure the RWD Sedans (6MT or Journey w/sport) and RWD Coupes (6MT or Journey w/sport) come with the same suspension.

Either car in AWD form does not have the sport suspension, quicker steering ratio, or larger brakes.

My source is Infinitihelp.com. Also, if the RWD cars are nearly the same weight why would Infiniti design two different sport suspensions? That would lead to extra costs.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Mike

^^ Correct.

AWD's get a "sport appearance" package. There is a reason the sport package on AWD cars is so cheap
Old 11-05-2009, 01:25 AM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nitromt
So basically the sedan is more practical AND faster. Why do people even buy the coupe?
Because people like me don't like practical, hahaha!! Ohhh and the coupe looks about 10000+ times better than a sedan, but I don't want to ruffle any sedan driver's feathers, it's just my humble opinion!!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:51 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveG37
Because people like me don't like practical, hahaha!! Ohhh and the coupe looks about 10000+ times better than a sedan, but I don't want to ruffle any sedan driver's feathers, it's just my humble opinion!!
The cops in Southern CA seem to like them more too!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Coupes are for people that need to impress others

jk Coupe friends
Old 11-05-2009, 05:57 PM
The G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uwnav
consider my feathers ruffled.
I'm in inclined to agree with you.. But i'm still getting the sedan. So can we get a confirmation that all three: "sport suspension, quicker steering ratio, or larger brakes" for the AWDs are not there?
Correct.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:40 PM
SteveG37

Originally Posted by terrycs
The cops in Southern CA seem to like them more too!
hahaha, n1

Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Coupes are for people that need to impress others
Then that's another reason I got my coupe, I need to somehow try to impress myself, and no sedan is going to accomplish that, hahaha!!

jk sedan friends, LOL!!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:07 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
hahaha, n1

Then that's another reason I got my coupe, I need to somehow try to impress myself, and no sedan is going to accomplish that, hahaha!!

jk sedan friends, LOL!!
I am sure this sedan would impress a few people and turn a few heads.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
BlueMalibu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably going to be close on time.

The biggest by FAR factor on the track is weight. It affects performance in ALL THREE areas. Acceleration, Braking, Handling. The next biggest factor is tires.

For their to be a measurable difference (assuming equal drivers) I would suspect the Sedan would have to be 50 pounds lighter. How much lighter is it?

Here is an example (I used to race cars). A 1280 pound with driver sports racer with 145 HP on smaller slicks runs FASTER lap times than a 2880 pound car with 700 HP on much bigger slicks. I drove them both so I know. Of course the amount of difference will depend on how tight the track is. But you get the idea.

BTW, I just got a sedan. It is a 6MT and the suspension seems pretty stiff compared to the AWD Slushbox Sedan I test drove. If the coupe is a lot stiffer then I would think it would be mighty stiff indeed.

As far as running Gs on the track I am all for it. You do not have to have an "exotic" for fun at the track. I have driven my street cars on the track many times as it is the only place to drive your car at the limit, legally. You learn a lot and it is a lot of fun. Also, many "performance" cars will not hold up on the track when driven at the limit. 99% of the time the brakes will get too hot and you have to come in.

The best street car I have driven on the track was my old BMW 323 sedan. You could run it for 30 minutes and the lap times would all be within a couple of tenths. I'll try the G next spring.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Mike

The sedan is about 200 lbs lighter across the board given equal options.

BlueMalibu, are you in So-Cal?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:03 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anyone have any track times for the sedan vs. coupe to reference? The lowest i've seen is an MT test of the Journey with a sport package, with a 0-60 @ 5.0 and a 1/4 @ 13.5

Last edited by ozzypriest; 11-06-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 PM
StopTheExcuses

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Does anyone have any track times for the sedan vs. coupe to reference? The lowest i've seen is an MT test of the Journey with a sport package, with a 0-60 @ 5.0 and a 1/4 @ 13.5
I'm going to the track shortly, and I will keep everybody updated on what I run. Fwiw, I have an 09 6mt Sedan with Stillen Exhaust and Injen CAI. Just under 10k on the engine.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 PM
SteveG37

Originally Posted by WannabeSport
I am sure this sedan would impress a few people and turn a few heads.

Very nice sedan indeed!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:34 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
subscribing...really want to see StopTheExcuses's times...

Quick Reply: Yet another Sedan vs. Coupe - @ TRACK -