Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Track events~!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Streets of Willow Springs CW w/ Bowl and skidpad.

I should note, this is not a G37 >_<.

There was only 1 Nissan there, and it was a 350z.

I'd be interested in seeing in the VQ37 has oil starvation issues on the bowl; the VQ35 did, as do a lot of other engines.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:22 AM
kieranlavin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been on that course in several years but what were you driving and what is your experience level? I seem to remember doing a 1:2x in a rental Grand Prix. That skidpad was fun in rental cars. Whip the car to the left, hit the brake, whip the wheel back to the right, mash the gas, and put on a show for everyone watching And the esses were fun too... we weren't even slowing down; just running over the curbs nearly getting completely airborne
Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Mike

Sounds like you were going CCW. CCW is generally .5 to 1 sec faster than CW, but 1:2x is impossible on a rental Grand Prix, at least on the full course. highly tuned cars will barely break into the 1:2x range.

I think with the conditions I was in, I should have been down in the 1:32 range. With non-bald rears, maybe another half second.

Car is a S2000 CR, and I have a year of Spec Miata experience and ~15 other track days.

This was my first time at Streets in the CR.

My driving was really conservative in the begining, as I was unsure of my rear tires and afraid of understeer. I eventually got comfortable with the rear being loose, and the understeer fears went away, but I was constantly in traffic due to getting stuck in the beginner group; I signed up late.

I had maybe 10 clean laps the whole day, mostly because I gridded first to get 2 clean laps a session in the begining. Beginners don't point by often, and the beginner group doesn't allow for open passing (which would be easy given the line a lot of guys were running earlier in the day...)
Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 AM
kieranlavin

No, we were going CW. You made me go back and dig out some old e-mails and find some unofficial (stopwatch or just plain watch on the side of the track) lap times. First, we're talking Streets of Willow and not big willow, right? I've never been on the big track and imagine the lap times there are a bit longer? The fastest laptime we got on the rental was with a friend driving and he got a 1:32. The fastest lap I got that day was a turbo SE-R with a fantastic driver who's done hundreds of laps there and he got a 1:27. You have to remember that driving experience plays HUGE into it. Most of the people there that day had dozens of track days under their belts. Many had dozens of races under their belt as well. All very experienced people. The least experienced person in the novice group had something like 5 track days
Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Mike

Do you recall the configuration you guys were running? The Turbo SE-R time is realistic, especially if he is set up properly for a tight track. Power doesn't generally make a huge impact on this track...

I'm assuming the rental was a 200hp 4AT... but even the 303hp V8... 1:32 is difficult for me to believe on the blowpass configuration, as the lap record for a bone stock (down to tires and alignment) s2000 is 1:30.33 AFAIK (implication here being s2000's are advantaged here with their short wheelbase and being lightweight, as well as coming with stickier tires from the factory...)

to the driver who got a 1:32 in a RENTAL grand prix.... I need to ride passenger.

You need to join us on some track days

$99/day for Buttonwillow, configuration 13, June 6/7.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:13 PM
gshb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone been to thunderhill? id like to gauge what times certain experience levels/cars are getting...
Old 05-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Mike

Try Trackhq forums...
Old 05-14-2009, 12:40 AM
kieranlavin

Originally Posted by Mike
Do you recall the configuration you guys were running? The Turbo SE-R time is realistic, especially if he is set up properly for a tight track. Power doesn't generally make a huge impact on this track...
It was the outer roadway all the way around. Straightaway up into turn one at the top of the hill. Back down to turn 2 sharp left-hander heading back uphill. Turn 3 right hander into a higher speed right/left and then the bowl. Out of the bowl down the back straight to the esses down the hill to a left hander and a bit of a slalom back to the skidpad and onto the front straight.

Power not making an impact was exactly why we were so even with all of the other race cars there. It's more of a momentum track and we were able to keep the momentum of the rental up there. We weren't being crushed as much as we expected by the racers. I was concerned being dumped into the instructor group with the rental because I thought for sure I'd be holding them up. I was much more closely matched than I expected.

I'm assuming the rental was a 200hp 4AT... but even the 303hp V8...
I haven't a clue. This was in 2002 or so and the thing was the biggest hunk of sh*t. We took the exhaust off and removed the backseats for weight reduction. It was pretty funny. I have a picture somewhere of taking the exhaust off the rental. We also ran about 4 sessions with the fuel light on and then drove back to the freeway to get gas and put 18.7 gallons into a 17.1 gallon tank

to the driver who got a 1:32 in a RENTAL grand prix.... I need to ride passenger.
Careful! I don't want to feed his ego anymore He and I are usually about even on the track. I think he got his fast time alone and I didn't have a time all day that I wasn't taking someone for a ride. I drive much more conservatively with a passenger.

You need to join us on some track days

$99/day for Buttonwillow, configuration 13, June 6/7.
One of these days I'll get back out that way and I'll look you up. I can show you the proper "rental line" around Streets since I've done it 3-4 times in a rental (I think only once did I NOT have a grand prix and it was a galant and I locked the brakes and went straight off at turn 2 and scared the crap out of my wife in the passenger seat)
Old 05-14-2009, 05:10 PM
gshb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok so who is going to buttonwillow on may 31 2009? there is already one g37 signed up, name is Karim Tarazi. ill be the second...
Old 05-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Mike

Hmmm I'll go depending on how some deals go...
Old 05-15-2009, 11:12 PM
jungwoo0622

Streets of Willow Springs CW w/ Bowl and skidpad.

I should note, this is not a G37 >_<.

There was only 1 Nissan there, and it was a 350z.

I'd be interested in seeing in the VQ37 has oil starvation issues on the bowl; the VQ35 did, as do a lot of other engines.
I was there on saturday with black g37
when did you there and with what kind of car?
Old 05-16-2009, 01:52 AM
Mike

I was there sunday in a white s2kcr for the time attack.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:40 PM
jungwoo0622

I was there sunday in a white s2kcr for the time attack.
Do you know kang Park with black s2k with wing?
He is my friend and he was there for the time attack too.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Mike

#413? That was the only black s2k there with a high mount...

Old 05-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Mike

Some pictures of you...

Quick Reply: Track events~!