Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

12.92 Drag Radials only!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:39 AM
FLGspot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seer can you please get a video of your run and engine bay? professionally driven they said the 6mt ran like a 13.7 or somthing.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FLGspot
seer can you please get a video of your run and engine bay? professionally driven they said the 6mt ran like a 13.7 or somthing.

well tracks are closed now for the year here last weekend was only a private run but ill take pics of the bay for ya, and as like i always have ill post pictures.

And if you'e been around performance cars long enough you would know magazine times are always beaten as the drivers do not launch the cars hard, nor use drag radials etc. Nor are their tracks prepped (usually done at an airstrip)

I think a lot of you need a lesson in track times and density altitude
Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 AM
VeeTec

Nice. I have a set of DR's, but will keep it stock until I reach a 12.9.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Seer

Originally Posted by VeeTec
Nice. I have a set of DR's, but will keep it stock until I reach a 12.9.
depending on your launch techique, and brand of DR, they can do wonders for your short time.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 AM
AthenG

Originally Posted by Seer
[/CENTER]

you cant really use trap speed as an indication of HP. Gearing and 60' have a lot to do with it as well. Also DA (density altitude) plays a huge factor. Due to the weather, humidity etc the day of my Race, my 1130' above sea level track turned into a 45' above sea level track. That right there is a bigger factor. Can you explain to me why 400hp (350whp) Corvettes only run high 13's at Famoso Raceway (+5000 DA average)? But the same car when running down Atco Raceway will click off a high 11, with a -400 DA? Density altitude makes the difference

To answer your question, my trap speed when i ran a 13.5 at the bad track was a 104.

As far as needing 400whp to get 1.69 (1.7) 60' is completely false. It's all in the ability to slip out the clutch with enough gas.

Your list above shows me, a good number of those guys need a lesson in launching. 1.8 60' times on slicks for some of those cars? Thats pathetic.

IF you want to be really nit picky and convert my 12.92 into an SAE time, it would come out to be 13.26 @ 105.7, that i would run under the "standard conditions". Although unfortunately for the naysayers this particular run was done in spectacular conditions.
You have a very special track and combine that with a perfect condition. I know about DA correction but in your case I'm just really surprise to see 108mph trap. I mean a car that usually trap 102mph dont usually get a 6mph boost even with DA of -1000. Hey, what do I know..lol Do you have the slip from the bad track? I just want to see your 1/8 vs 1/4 mile time.

Since you mentioned 60' playing a role in trap speed, what is your opinion on it? I know you cant really compare your other runs coz of DA maybe different, but a lot of people keep saying that as you go faster with better 60' or ET then your trap will suffer. You case doesn't prove that and same with mine. I looked at some of your runs and you trap gets better and better as your ET/60' get better.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Seer

Originally Posted by AthenG

Since you mentioned 60' playing a role in trap speed, what is your opinion on it? I know you cant really compare your other runs coz of DA maybe different, but a lot of people keep saying that as you go faster with better 60' or ET then your trap will suffer. You case doesn't prove that and same with mine. I looked at some of your runs and you trap gets better and better as your ET/60' get better.

Where I've noticed the same thing in my years of drag racing better the 60' the lower the trap is, but that gets thrown out the winder with colder/less dense air, and a lower DA. It's a proven fact, cars make more HP at a lower DA, and the power:weight ratio with a conjunction of the 60' are good contributors to the trap speed. But to say one thing in the G37's defense, these cars are top end cars, with little bottom end (comparing it to it's drag racing competition: GTO, Mustang, Challenger, aka stock 13's cars etc)

Like I said in my other post, take my 12.92 run, and run it through an SAE correction, and it's a 13.26 run, with an approximate 105 mph trap.

I know this is not my 13.33 stock run, or my 12.92 DR run, but here was my previous best at my "good" track, which was a 13.48. You'll see the G37 picks up a good bit of MPH after the 1/8, roughly 20mph.

Last edited by Seer; 11-11-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 AM
AthenG

/\ I have a thread about this in my350z and in theory as you go faster on a FIX distance then speed should go up.. It just the law of physics, S = d / t assuming DA and gearing stay the same.

You can read it if you have a spare time here.. http://my350z.com/forum/drag/384107-...ationship.html
Old 11-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Seer

/\ I have a thread about this in my350z and in theory as you go faster on a FIX distance then speed should go up.. It just the law of physics, S = d / t assuming DA and gearing stay the same.

You can read it if you have a spare time here.. http://my350z.com/forum/drag/384107-...ationship.html

where I agree with you 100%, unfortunately though comparing situation A to situation B, will not equal one another, unless you use an SAE correction factor to make it fair. But as well all know, when the DA goes down, the HP goes up, and remember our 330hp G37's are rated at SAE, not STD to our home location.

Only true way to compare dyno numbers is for me to dyno my G37 here, then someone else dyno their G37 over there, then use this formula to correct and see if they match.

cf = 1.180 [(990/Pd)*(Tc+273/298)^0.5]-.180
cf*DN = SAE Dyno #'s

cf = correction factor
Pd = dry air pressure, in mb
Tc = ambient temp in C
DN = STD dyno numbers

Last edited by Seer; 11-11-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM
AthenG

Originally Posted by Seer
where I agree with you 100%, unfortunately though comparing situation A to situation B, will not equal one another, unless you use an SAE correction factor to make it fair. But as well all know, when the DA goes down, the HP goes up, and remember our 330hp G37's are rated at SAE, not STD to our home location.

Only true way to compare dyno numbers is for me to dyno my G37 here, then someone else dyno their G37 over there, then use this formula to correct and see if they match.

cf = 1.180 [(990/Pd)x(Tc+273/298)^0.5]-.180

cf = correction factor
Pd = dry air pressure, in mb
Tc = ambient temp in C

So how many runs do you usually get in a day? Do you notice anything? I mean if you did the race in the same day then DA should be the same and track condition should also be the same.. Does your trap suffer when you improve your 60' with your G37?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Seer

So how many runs do you usually get in a day? Do you notice anything? I mean if you did the race in the same day then DA should be the same and track condition should also be the same.. Does your trap suffer when you improve your 60' with your G37?
DA does not stay constant in the same day. If you run on the weekend, the first runs for the track could be as early as 9am, with cooler weather, and less humidity.

During the week, you may not get your first pass till 6pm, where the weather is usually around it's high for the day, and your final runs near 10, or 11, giving off cooler than morning temperatings.

So, I notice my trap increasing with a lower DA because the car is making more HP. As the car is operating outside of the SAE conditions programmed into the ECM's MAF and MAP tables for DA compensation.

I just happend to of ran my car on the "perfect storm" of a day for setting a record.

Drag Radials + High RPM Launch + Near Sea Level DA + Power Shifting + Good Driving = Low ET, High Trap Speed

Last edited by Seer; 11-11-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:39 AM
AthenG

wow you wait that long? I usually go on weekdays to minimize the wait. Last time I went I got 7 runs in 3 hours. Temp did change but only 1-2 degree from my first runs so that is not much of a change. I have a Turbo so DA doesnt play as much compare to NA guys.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Seer

wow you wait that long? I usually go on weekdays to minimize the wait. Last time I went I got 7 runs in 3 hours. Temp did change but only 1-2 degree from my first runs so that is not much of a change. I have a Turbo so DA doesnt play as much compare to NA guys.

i'll get 6 runs or so in a day. Typically most track sessions are 4-6 hours long.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:02 PM
kg37

Nice runs seer. Keep it up.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Seer

Since a certain someone thought I was running nitrous.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
who thought you were running nitrous?

Quick Reply: 12.92 Drag Radials only!