Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Rev matching in 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rev matching in 6mt

Whats up guys, my brake in period is just about up so i need to kno how to down shift to what at what rpms. just incase some1 ever creeps up...So i would like your help with the rpm matching that would be great..

Secondly when ever i shift it seems like i lose power, how do you shift without loosing power? am i doing it so slow or wha? should i not push it in all the way and maybe just tap the clutch? what should i do im new to the stick game lol.. anything would be perfect..

Also any tips on launch would help as well. Thanks alot guys
Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 PM
mal_TX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift like these guys...

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/bm...4_%3Cbr%3Eauto
Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 PM
vinnys coupe

seen it, i wish i knew how.. some1 help please dnt mess up the thread.. only post on seriosus note..
Old 03-21-2008, 11:42 PM
SPOHN
From Z to G

Rev matching takes some practice from one down shift to another. Going two gears is a big difference. You just have to learn to feel for it. Hard to describe. It's all about a fineness of blipping the throttle to position the revs for the next gear down. Giving it a smooth transition from gear to gear.Blipping the throttle is sort of like a short aggressive jab at the throttle to spike the revs up to be in postion for the next lower gear. I hope you get this. It's real hard to put in words. But takes time. With the G I had to relearn it a bit, coming from a Z. But that's a different story. The Z is just more free revving. When learned you'll find yourself doing this more to slow your ride and use less brakes. And of course getting ready to gear down waiting for someone coming up in your mirror.

Your losing power during shifts? This can depend on your situation. If your taking it to redline and shifting and losing lots of power, then I'd say your shifting slow. You have to learn how and when you can cheat the clutch and throttle along with making a fast smooth shift. Once again it's all in practicing and getting better, along with knowing your car. I haven't had a chance to really rip threw them yet. Still breaking in myself. Don't expect much in the lower revs, for this car is made to run threw the gears. Or you could learn to never lift to shift. If you've heard the term. Not recommended. Could be fatal.

Last edited by SPOHN; 03-21-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:41 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ya basically drive like the guys in the videos. I can heel toe like that because i have been doing it for a long time. you just need time and practice. it would help if you can get someone local who knows good driving technique. have them watch you and give you tips
Old 03-22-2008, 09:29 AM
SPOHN
From Z to G

Heel to toe is so diffiucult for myself. I started to learn it some, then gave up. Props to ya.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:56 AM
vinnys coupe

Originally Posted by SPOHN
Rev matching takes some practice from one down shift to another. Going two gears is a big difference. You just have to learn to feel for it. Hard to describe. It's all about a fineness of blipping the throttle to position the revs for the next gear down. Giving it a smooth transition from gear to gear.Blipping the throttle is sort of like a short aggressive jab at the throttle to spike the revs up to be in postion for the next lower gear. I hope you get this. It's real hard to put in words. But takes time. With the G I had to relearn it a bit, coming from a Z. But that's a different story. The Z is just more free revving. When learned you'll find yourself doing this more to slow your ride and use less brakes. And of course getting ready to gear down waiting for someone coming up in your mirror.

Great right up the blipping of the throttle might be a key while practicing. Once you exactly kno when to drop gears please post up.. example.. like in fifth doing 60mph around 3k rpm and droped to fourth etc etcc.. What rpm shouldent i drop at like anything over 4-5k or ??
Your losing power during shifts? This can depend on your situation. If your taking it to redline and shifting and losing lots of power, then I'd say your shifting slow. You have to learn how and when you can cheat the clutch and throttle along with making a fast smooth shift. Once again it's all in practicing and getting better, along with knowing your car. I haven't had a chance to really rip threw them yet. Still breaking in myself. Don't expect much in the lower revs, for this car is made to run threw the gears. Or you could learn to never lift to shift. If you've heard the term. Not recommended. Could be fatal.
Im yet to redline my car, when im just shifting at normal speeds, like around 3-4k rpm i like loose speed.. i might be taking to long should i be pushing the clutch all the way in at all times.

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
ya basically drive like the guys in the videos. I can heel toe like that because i have been doing it for a long time. you just need time and practice. it would help if you can get someone local who knows good driving technique. have them watch you and give you tips
i most likely am ganna but none of my buddies have a 37, and there not ganna kno much more then IMO.. well c i might have some1 with a g35 coupe help me out a little.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:11 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
Im yet to redline my car, when im just shifting at normal speeds, like around 3-4k rpm i like loose speed.. i might be taking to long should i be pushing the clutch all the way in at all times.

i most likely am ganna but none of my buddies have a 37, and there not ganna kno much more then IMO.. well c i might have some1 with a g35 coupe help me out a little.
doesn't matter what you are driving. you just need to learn the technique. you could be driving a pick up trick for all that matters.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:27 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mal_TX
surpised the z came in first...dang, they shift like its nothing..
Old 03-22-2008, 02:18 PM
SPOHN
From Z to G

At 3k revs, there isn't much to carry over to the next gear for normal acceleration. To me this sounds normal. So obvious if you carry the revs to 4k it will be a lot better. This is where I like to carry the revs under normal conditions. I'm more on the aggressive side. Also take in consideration of how fast your going threw the RPM range, like full throttle or partial. This all makes a difference. Just sounds like you need to keep driving the stick and it will all come around before you know it.

For the clutch that's also another learning factor. You can find sweet spots there also. Most of the time your going to be almost all the ways down anyways.I recommend going all the way during a hard run such as drag racing. You just have to feel for the clutch and match with your shift points. I'm still learning on the G it's self. Almost a big difference from the Z.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:30 PM
bnguyen85

Whats up guys, my brake in period is just about up so i need to kno how to down shift to what at what rpms. just incase some1 ever creeps up...So i would like your help with the rpm matching that would be great..

Secondly when ever i shift it seems like i lose power, how do you shift without loosing power? am i doing it so slow or wha? should i not push it in all the way and maybe just tap the clutch? what should i do im new to the stick game lol.. anything would be perfect..

Also any tips on launch would help as well. Thanks alot guys
Ok, so the scenario you mentioned is if someone sneaks up upon you. You are on the highway going 70mph. Rpms are already at 2900. If you really want to get the best performance you will need to shift into 3rd gear. to really know what gear you want to select you need to know approximately what rpm what gear will be correlated to your speed.

The best way to understand this is drive your car in 3rd gear at 70mph. It will be screaming but just give your self an idea of what rpm to aim for. like in some of the previous post it will take a while to understand and know what gear be at what rpm. Heel to toe does not apply to this scenario.

Here we go. Press in the clutch to get out of 6th gear. While in neutral release the clutch and rev up to that desired rpm and then press in the clutch to the desired gear.

Our cars do have triple coned syncros so it gives you a lot of lea way for trial and error. Just slightly push the stick into the gear for about half a sec and then push it in. Release the clutch and smash the gas to catch up to that f***er. FYI 3rd gear tops out at 99mph.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:37 PM
vinnys coupe

im not sure what u mean by the last paragraph so im not even ganna bother lol.. but i guess if i get all the top times of each gear out of the manual that would help me out i guess... ima just play around with it.. if some1 has to downshift or w.e just mark ur rpms for me.. or if some1 wants to go drive agressivly just for the erge (wink wink).. please post up when and what you down shift n when up shift to..thanks

another thing.. while flooring it is it better to to stay flooring it put the clutch switch then pop it.. or let go of gas, clutch in pop it then pound the gas.. which way wouldent make me loose power..
Old 03-22-2008, 09:06 PM
$teveNG37
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think he is talking about double clutching which you dont need to do.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:43 PM
vinnys coupe

not double clutching, im talking about when i floor it do i release the throttle or still pin it when im clutching in then popping the clutch.. or is it better to pin it then when close to redlining hit the clutch in let off gas pop clutch then slam back on the gas....??
Old 03-22-2008, 10:37 PM
bnguyen85

release the throttle it will save your clutch and shift shock on your tranny and motor mounts. But when getting back into gear rev it up upon engaging the clutch

Quick Reply: Rev matching in 6mt