Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Rev matching in 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:58 PM
mal_TX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelr
If you are trying to downshift 2 gears and the shifter won't slide into the gate the issue is that the primary and secondary shaft speeds are are too far apart from each other. The syncros can't cope with the speed differential so you can't get it in gear.
The fix is to double clutch the downshift. This should be coupled with a blip of the throttle to match the revs. The important thing is that you do it in the right sequence.
First you dip the clutch in enough to slip the shifter into neutral, you then (with the clutch pedal up) blip the throttle, immediatly then you dip back into the clutch and select the lower gear and release the clutch before the revs fall.
The key is bliping the throttle with the clutch out/transmission in neutral, this is what syncs the primary and secondary shaft speeds.
Doing this manuvuer while coasting into a turn is one thing (easy), if you are coming in under braking it is an order of magnitude harder since you will have perform heel-toe braking to blip the throttle.
+1 you have to speed up the layshaft to match the speed of the output shaft before the teeth on the collar for the lower gear will be able to bite and thus engage the gear. Connect your engine to your layshaft while the transmission is in neutral, rev up to make it spin faster, disconnect the engine from the layshaft and the tranny will take any gear up to the redline speed of that gear without complaints

check it out on howstuffworks.com, they have nice animations and stuff.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM
vINCe_Inc

awesome guys. that was the answer i was looking for ! thank you !!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:39 PM
G35Tuning

REV Matching 4TMFW!!!!

To everyone who is new to the G coupes...Be easy on yourselves...This is not a very easy manual car to drive and certainly not an easy one to learn on...It was a challenge getting used to my G35 coupe and now the G37 is different in its ways and I'm in the learning process again...Of course, I dont have some of the issues that many have since I'm familiar with the car...But the 1st to 2nd is hit or miss at cruising speeds...Down shifting and rev matching is a beautiful thing...Feels so good to hit it right and you can really power up for that quick run through the gears...

I do find it funny myself when you see the passengers head jerk a bit out the corner of your eye...But I know for a fact that the shifts are smooth...They just dont know when the shift is coming so they move with the car since its unexpected...
Old 05-12-2008, 02:40 AM
swiftshores

lol never knew bout double clutching til now. sweet. usually when im just cruising and on a stop sign. i just start my car on 2nd gear. is that bad for the car? neone know?
Old 05-12-2008, 02:47 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your car is stopped I wouldn't recommend it but if you are at a roll then I would put it in 2nd. You can start in 2nd gear but tend to put more wear on the clutch because you have to let out the clutch slower so you don't stall.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:49 AM
swiftshores

oh sweet thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 AM
G35Tuning

Originally Posted by Mike6mt
I went from a G35 to a G37. Clutch on the 35 seems higher.
+1 on that...I went from an 04 G35 coupe to an 08 G37...Clutch on the G37 is lower and much smoother then the G35...It is much improved IMO...
Old 05-12-2008, 10:59 AM
shmad

Originally Posted by swiftshores
lol never knew bout double clutching til now. sweet. usually when im just cruising and on a stop sign. i just start my car on 2nd gear. is that bad for the car? neone know?
u can do that w/o much problem. i start in second if the car is rolling. also, on wet or slick surfaces where u cant get traction, starting in second will make it easier for u to get moving. or u can just rely on the vdc to get going
Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
UNV-IT46

starting in second does not hurt your clutch at all assuming you know how to prefect a 2nd gear start.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
starting in second does not hurt your clutch at all assuming you know how to prefect a 2nd gear start.
UVN since he is asking if starting in second is bad it is assumed that he doesn't. It takes practise to learn how to start in second and during that testing you are hurting your clutch. There is no point in starting in 2nd unless you are on a slick surface were you are spinning your tires in 1st.

To the poster, don't try to start in second unless you are on a slick surface were you spin your tires in first gear. Other than that you are waisting your time starting in second gear. If you are at a roll then put that thing in second and step on it.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:55 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
guys i never got a change to try to launch.. been working and weather is ****ty still here in ny.. i want to start to get it down by summer n shyytt so once i do it i need ur guys help.. keep this thread alive =)
Old 05-12-2008, 03:05 PM
swiftshores

yeah i been going into 2nd gear when my car is just rolling around 5 mph cause i found it easier, and at times when my car is at a full stop i used to start it at 2nd gear and it is perfectly smooth. didnt want to use all that power in 1st so i started in 2nd. but thanks for the info i got the answer