Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Where can you find out about Track days?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:26 AM
quart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can you find out about Track days?

When I had my Miata, I found that there were tons of people who shared my enthusiasm for that car and its trackability. With the G35/37, there seem to be a few who appreciate this cars agility, but most see it either as transportation, or an artist canvas for customization. IN my town it seems to be just transportation to most.
With the Miata, I use to hear about clubs, groups, etc renting tracks for a weekend or a day and doing track days. Are there any places one can find out about similar outings for our cars, or open to any cars that won’t break the bank? I know one can go to Sebring, or Road Atlanta at certain times of the year, but they charge like $3000-$5000 for a weekend.

I live in N. Florida and there aren't any tracks even close to my town. I am not in to SCCA Autocross/"hay bail" racing against the clock, and generally obey the road laws, but would love a chance to get my G out on the track.

As an example of what I am looking for, a few years ago when I had my Miata I was called by a friend in the Atlanta area Miata club that they had rented a small GP (moto cycle course) in Talladega, Alabama for a Sunday afternoon and for $400 I could join them for training and open track time. Since there was a mix of experienced and inexperienced drivers they offered ample training and instruction and the $400 driver was very reasonable. They split us up into groups of maybe 5-6 and gave us a half dozen 15 minute runs throughout the day. It was a blast and by the end of the day, you really learned a lot about yourself and your car.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:31 PM
SilkeG

If you're near Tallahassee, there is at least one track closer to you than the ones you mentioned.
Check out this site:
http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/FL/
As for groups that rent a track, there may be some in your area, but also check out the track's website. Some of them have pricing for individuals and at reasonable rates, especially if you pre-register etc.
EDIT: Whoops! The track I was looking at is for motorcycles only. Maybe try neighboring areas:
http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/

Last edited by SilkeG; 02-08-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
peterbanks

"When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back" -- Michael Shumacher
Ask Barrichello what he thought about that quote... Hamilton FTW

The Tallahassee SCCA use this track: SGMP You can also check out: Chin Motorsports When I had my S2000, alot of those guys had excellent things to say about their events. I'm in TLH as well and would be interested in getting some track time too.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
quart

peterbanks, I sent you a P.M.

The SGMP is a similar facility to what we took the Miata's on, but it had a road course, which for me is vital. I'm not a big dragster, nor an oval race fan, although I guess beggers can't be chosers. The Chin motorsports group looks worth looking into for me, but would have to see their schedule of events at ATL, Miaim and Sebring before I joined.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:49 AM
peterbanks

You can check out their schedule, the one thing I remember is that the track days fill-up fast, so you need to sign up as soon as registration opens for the particular track you want. I'd be interested in checking out Sebring.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
peterbanks

I just checked the event at Sebring in April and all slots for "Novice" are full. They have another Sebring event in May.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:37 PM
quart

Chin motorsports is something I'd like to do, but the next few months and into the summer are unpredictable for me as far as schedule goes. I'm running for Sch. Board in TLH and the election is end of summer (primary) and in the Fall (general) so 2008 may be a year I need to curtail my motorsports ambitions.

I wish I had a few hundred acres and a friends with an asphalt business and I'd make my own track...lol.

Wish we had one close that had regular open track days.... I thought there was a track near Ocala that did this but could find anything last I looked.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Mike Panichello

Road Course Track Days

What I think you're looking for is what is called a road course. I drive with a group called NASA - National Auto Sports Association. It's a nationwide organization, but locally they rent tracks here in Phoenix (Phoenix Int'l Raceway and Firebird Int'l Raceway) about one weekend a month or so. Very reasonably priced and a great way to learn the limits of your driving ability. Your first day or two will be with an instructor and then you will probably be signed off to drive the track solo. There is a LOT to learn if you've never driven on a track before, so you'll get nowhere near the ability of the CAR the first few times out.

Check them out here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/

(And hey - this is my first post!)
Old 02-14-2008, 08:00 AM
peterbanks

↑ Thanks for the link, and welcome to the board.