MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Help with modding

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Razorr

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Help with modding

So I'm planning to get a supercharger kit in a few years, but from what I have read in this forum, it seems that just getting the kit isn't enough. I also need other mods to support it. So far I'm seeing most people say I need a valve body upgrade for the 7AT, an oil cooler kit, a transmission cooler kit, a tune, but that's after the supercharger is installed. I was thinking since all of these together will cost a lot of money I was planning to get some of the mods done in advance. So is it okay if I get those mods done in advance maybe a year or two in advance or do I need to do all of them together? Also, is it better to go to the dealer to get the supercharger and all the other mods installed?
I hope I have listed all the mods needed for the S/C, if I'm missing anything please let me know. FYI, I have a 2013 g37x sedan 7AT, only mods done to it is an exhaust and BBK's. Lastly, if anyone has done it already can you give me an estimate of how much it is going to cost altogether?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:07 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 750 Likes on 356 Posts
You can do an oil and trans cooler ahead of time, same for the tune. It takes around 12-15 hours for a decent shop to install a supercharger. Depending on what kit you get, you may also need larger fuel injectors and a bigger fuel pump.

From a stock car to a supercharger+ supporting mods is probably 10-13,000. I'm basing that off an actual quote I received from the shop I prefer in Houston.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Razorr

Do I also need an intercooler
Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Should come with the kit.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
Why don't you contact Stillen or GTM since they seem to be the two major players for those kind of mods! Do guys also have the strict clean air requirements like we do here in CA?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Calee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well a Supercharger kit from GTM with fuel pumps and injectors, seems to run you around 6-7K, a tune runs around 500$. I only know all this cause i've been preparing to S/C my G37 for a few months now, i just have no $$$.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Calee
Well a Supercharger kit from GTM with fuel pumps and injectors, seems to run you around 6-7K, a tune runs around 500$. I only know all this cause i've been preparing to S/C my G37 for a few months now, i just have no $$$.
$500 sounds like n/a tune, FI tune I think go around $1000?
Old 03-06-2014, 10:46 AM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOSTER33
Why don't you contact Stillen or GTM since they seem to be the two major players for those kind of mods! Do guys also have the strict clean air requirements like we do here in CA?

I read somewhere on this site that you would have to go Stillen to pass the Clear Air tests in CA.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:00 AM
Razorr

Btw some people say the g37 chasis isn't built to handle too much power, so is F/I worth it in the g? Or will I be better off buying a faster car?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by Razorr
Btw some people say the g37 chasis isn't built to handle too much power, so is F/I worth it in the g? Or will I be better off buying a faster car?
That's really hard to answer. I like my car, I like the aesthetics of it. If speed is really really important to you, there are plenty of v8 powered muscle cars that can get you where you want to go. The chassis can handle more power than you want to be driving around on the street with anyways.

IMO, once you get past 500whp and 400ft/lb, you're just burning rubber. The car can handle that with some smart supporting mods.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Razorr

Gtm listed their twin turbo and supercharger kit as turn-key and i'm guessing stillen's supercharger is turn-key as well. Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the term turn-key mean it's just plug and play? So i got the cooling kits, but why would I need the VB upgrade? Shouldn't turn key kits already come with everything? For example nguyen mentioned I would need bigger fuel injectors and bigger fuel pump and all the kits i mentioned seem to come with those. So if the VB was necessary shouldn't that have come with the kits? It would be helpful if anyone can shed some light on it.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by Razorr
Gtm listed their twin turbo and supercharger kit as turn-key and i'm guessing stillen's supercharger is turn-key as well. Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the term turn-key mean it's just plug and play? So i got the cooling kits, but why would I need the VB upgrade? Shouldn't turn key kits already come with everything? For example nguyen mentioned I would need bigger fuel injectors and bigger fuel pump and all the kits i mentioned seem to come with those. So if the VB was necessary shouldn't that have come with the kits? It would be helpful if anyone can shed some light on it.

Turn key means everything you need to boost your car. That doesn't mean it's the best parts, just that they satisfy the requirements. You can, and should, definitely upgrade, if you're going to chase horsepower like it seems you are.

A valve body upgrade will help your automatic handle the power and will lengthen the life of your transmissions. You might slip gears under heavy load, so it's best to reinforce that *before* your transmission eats itself.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:09 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
OP: I don't think an Infiniti dealership will install a FI kit for you. As stated above by GFN getting all of the supporting mods out of the way first is what I usually see done around this forum. The final step is the FI kit with the tune. I've seen figures bounce between 11K and 14K. As for can the chasis handle the added power? Yes, but you will eat up some tires out on the road IMO.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
I agree with all that has been said above. The trans cooler and valve body upgrade are not essential but will most definitely help you transmission life and operation.

As for kits to supercharge I would be weary with GTM as they have been missing the mark on delivery and customer service recently.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Razorr

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Turn key means everything you need to boost your car. That doesn't mean it's the best parts, just that they satisfy the requirements. You can, and should, definitely upgrade, if you're going to chase horsepower like it seems you are.

A valve body upgrade will help your automatic handle the power and will lengthen the life of your transmissions. You might slip gears under heavy load, so it's best to reinforce that *before* your transmission eats itself.
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought turn key meant that it would just be like any other bolt on parts. But just wondering GTM has the VB to support their tt and SC, but what does stillen have?

Originally Posted by warped ideas
OP: I don't think an Infiniti dealership will install a FI kit for you. As stated above by GFN getting all of the supporting mods out of the way first is what I usually see done around this forum. The final step is the FI kit with the tune. I've seen figures bounce between 11K and 14K. As for can the chasis handle the added power? Yes, but you will eat up some tires out on the road IMO.
Yes my dealer would only install the stillen S/C, but I would rather take it to a tuner shop and get it installed by them. I'm currently getting the supporting mods one by one. So far I got the oil and transmission cooler. Next I'm thinking of getting the VB upgrade.

Originally Posted by Lt8Che
I agree with all that has been said above. The trans cooler and valve body upgrade are not essential but will most definitely help you transmission life and operation.

As for kits to supercharge I would be weary with GTM as they have been missing the mark on delivery and customer service recently.
Exactly this is the reason why I'm having second thoughts about the VB upgrade. One week without the car seems to be okay, but some ppl on here are complaining that they have been waiting for a month and still haven't got their VB back.

Last edited by Razorr; 04-13-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with modding