MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Ebay Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I checked all the parts over and it looked okay, but as you said, this is more than a coincidence.

I won't be buying Mishimoto parts again. At least it's just their thermostatic plate, and not the full kit. I've added checking the oil lines/cooler/plate to my monthly car inspection (brakes, tires, fluids, drivers AC line, exhaust connections, and angel eye wiring). I recommend other users do the same. Hopefully they can avoid the problem I had. I tried poor-manning my parts for the kit and bought the plate preowned but unused from another member here. I still came in under budget, but it could EASILY have turned out far, far worse.

Live and learn.
I don't know if you frequent or post on that other forum, but if you do you might want to post a link to this thread so people are assured that this isn't a fluke and the issue isn't corrected. I'm not registered there and I think that registering just to link to your thread would look somewhat troll like.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:28 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 751 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I don't know if you frequent or post on that other forum, but if you do you might want to post a link to this thread so people are assured that this isn't a fluke and the issue isn't corrected. I'm not registered there and I think that registering just to link to your thread would look somewhat troll like.
I'm on 370z very rarely just to peruse their used threads and look for meets in the area. I don't have the post count to link it, but I will table that (American usage).
Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 AM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Awesome Review GFN. Thank you for that. Its good to know that there are other options out there with a little extra work and enginuity. Keep up the good work and the reviews. I know they help more people that come forward to say thank you.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:02 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by MrJCole13
Awesome Review GFN. Thank you for that. Its good to know that there are other options out there with a little extra work and enginuity. Keep up the good work and the reviews. I know they help more people that come forward to say thank you.
That's why I do it. To help the little people

In reality, I just love working on my car (even if there is the occasional hiccup), and I enjoy sharing my experiences in the hopes that I can save y'all a little bit of trouble. I've got a clean set of Ksport coilovers and an SPC camber kit along with a Stillen license plate relocator in my apartment that needs putting on! DIY or Shop? I'll do some research this weekend and gauge the difficulty.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

That's why I do it. To help the little people

In reality, I just love working on my car (even if there is the occasional hiccup), and I enjoy sharing my experiences in the hopes that I can save y'all a little bit of trouble. I've got a clean set of Ksport coilovers and an SPC camber kit along with a Stillen license plate relocator in my apartment that needs putting on! DIY or Shop? I'll do some research this weekend and gauge the difficulty.
Not that difficult, you can definitely handle it if you have good tools and patience.
The following users liked this post:
GoFightNguyen (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 02:34 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

If the Ksports are "true" coilovers, and the spring is incorporated into the rear damper assembly, what do I do with the OEM spring? Do I just unbolt it from the spring bucket and discard it? Does it work in conjunction with the rear coilovers?
Old 02-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

On a "true" coilover setup you will remove the OEM spring altogether. Nothing goes in that place to replace it. The arm is empty. The down side to this type setup us that our car's structure was designed to support the cars weight at the top of the spring mount area but not at the top of the shock mounting point where you are transferring the weight by removing the spring from the original area. But I haven't heard of any damage or failures from doing this. I haven't looked though.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:44 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Ooof, the engineer in me is uncomfortable with increasing the length of the torque arm. I'm upgrading that arm anyways, I suppose.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Mishimoto

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The next day, he got it up on a lift and called me back in. He showed me that the thermostatic fitting on the side of the sandwich plate had a bad o-ring. That's all. It leaked under pressure, got on my splash guard, and dribbled out when I stopped. He cleaned it up, changed the O-ring, and told me I was good to go. He DID recommend that I swap the straight 10an fittings I had previously mounted to the banjo fittings out for some 45 degree 10an fittings to raise the lines and have them clear the strut bar completely.

I took the car to Jtran the next weekend, brought them the 45 degree aeroquip fittings I wanted to install and they got it all knocked out in an hour.

The bad experience I had has nothing to do with my install, or with the kit I built. It was just a bad O-ring. **** happens, I guess. No damage to the car, thank god, and everything has been chugging along perfectly since then.
GoFightNguyen, thank you for he purchase of our thermostatic sandwich plate and nice job getting everything mounted up! I am sorry that you had trouble with our product. We have released a new O-ring which has been working flawlessly since we started sending them out to customers. I would be interested to see where this was purchased from. If a vendor has "old" stock, this would be the reasoning why you experienced a similar situation just like the other customer on the 370z forum.

Did you contact us by chance to obtain a replacement? I do not remember any calls or emails coming in about this recently. We would be happy to send out a replacement if you would like to keep it just in case for the future. Feel free to email me directly at sales@mishimoto.com.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 03-03-2014, 02:10 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

I appreciate the follow up! I sent an email to sales@mishimoto.com

Basically, I purchased the sandwich plate preowned but unused from a member here on the forum. I didn't think it was worthwhile to pursue any kind of replacement parts, as I did not buy direct from a vendor, and the problem part was an O-ring anyways. Since then, the plate has worked as advertised.