MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

New To Modding. Do it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM
stanv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New To Modding. Do it or not?

I'm completely new to modding, never done it before (had a RAV4).
Anyway, I leased a G37x Sedan for 39 months in the beginning of this month.
I live in NYC so I feel like anything crazy is pointless because what's the point? To race from light to light?

& I'm not sure whether it's worth modding the car especially because I have to return the car and it'd be stupid (or so I think) to void the warranty. Throwing mad money for something that becomes useless in 3 years?

I was thinking of maybe just putting a cold air intake into the car. Give it a small boost and make it run a bit smoother.
I don't like loud exhausts on cars, nor do I want to change anything with the exterior, I love the way this car looks on it's own, besides MAYBE putting tints on. I just don't want to get that stupid ****ing $400 ticket for it. & I know plenty of people who have gotten stopped for just that.

Maybe I'm approaching this in a close-minded manner, that's why I wanted to know if any of you guys have anything to suggest? This is my first lease so I'm trying to stay on the safe side of it I guess.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 AM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Seems like you're answering your own question...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:00 AM
stanv

Originally Posted by WPPJR30
Seems like you're answering your own question...
Like I'm not sure because I see people do it all the time you know. Mod their leased cars.

I'm still in college for another year so I'm not making all that much money yet ya know.
I'm just curious as to what everyone on here suggests because most of you guys really know your **** lol
Old 07-24-2012, 11:09 AM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by stanv
Like I'm not sure because I see people do it all the time you know. Mod their leased cars.

I'm still in college for another year so I'm not making all that much money yet ya know.
I'm just curious as to what everyone on here suggests because most of you guys really know your **** lol
It's totally understandable that you do not want to dump a bunch of money into a leased car. Furthermore, you don't want to do any crazy custom work that cannot be reversed. However, keep in mind that there is always a market for used parts on this forum. You will never make back your initial investment, but if you want to modify your car for the three years you have it (3 years is a long time), I think you should. The fact that you're leasing it should not prevent you from enjoying it the way you want. Within reason, of course...

Coilovers, tint, wheels, tires, sway bars, exhaust, intake... Those are all modifications that can be undone as long as you keep your stock parts. Additionally, those are all parts that are always in demand in the classifieds section of this forum.

I don't know if that helps, but good luck.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You can look around this or any other forum and see that there is a ton of modding peer pressure. If you like the car as is, why would you waste your money on something you don't even really want?

It seems like the leasing people (there are a lot of them) often do the most extreme modding, requiring a ton of work to return it to stock when it's time to give the car back to Infiniti. If you like it as it is, don't want the hassle of replacing stock parts back onto the car before returning, and don't want to attract the wrong attention by doing illegal mods like dark tint or colored lights, skip it.

As far as the intake, what you will get is a cool whooshing sound. You will not get any appreciable performance gain without a tune and it will not run faster or smoother.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
IF you do decide to mod, keep all the oem parts so that you can swap them out and return the car. Then all you have to do is sell your mods you purchased.

Too many times do I see "FS: blah blah blah for $$$ plus oem parts". If you keep them, you dont have to worry about Getting parts to return your car to the stealer.

I would imagine light modding wouldn't hurt. Maybe intake, exhaust, rims, sways, maybe some springs. All of those things can be returned to stock with minimal effort.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:49 PM
stanv

Originally Posted by Black Betty
You can look around this or any other forum and see that there is a ton of modding peer pressure. If you like the car as is, why would you waste your money on something you don't even really want?

It seems like the leasing people (there are a lot of them) often do the most extreme modding, requiring a ton of work to return it to stock when it's time to give the car back to Infiniti. If you like it as it is, don't want the hassle of replacing stock parts back onto the car before returning, and don't want to attract the wrong attention by doing illegal mods like dark tint or colored lights, skip it.

As far as the intake, what you will get is a cool whooshing sound. You will not get any appreciable performance gain without a tune and it will not run faster or smoother.
That basically answers everything lol. Thanks a lot for the response.
I kinda feel like if I wanted to throw away money on a whole bunch of tune ups and mods, I might as well just save for a little and afford a better car (of course the only cars that can compete with the G sedan are considerably more expensive).

But that basically knocks my only idea of modding anything with the G. I absolutely love the car. Some decent tints are the only thing I would love to add but if I ever received that ticket I'd flip a ****. I guess maybe in the next few months I'll finalize that decision.

Anyway, thanks again!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Like the others suggested don't sell your stock parts to make money for the mods especially if you have to return car at end of lease. It will be a hassle getting the stock parts back.
Good luck
Old 07-24-2012, 10:46 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Most of us who are about modding don't really ponder whether we should do it or not... we ponder which mod to get next and in what order. If you're on the fence about modding then it doesn't seem worth it. With that said If you want a "better" running/smoother car, throw in some HKS hi flow filter and get the uprev tune. a light tint and enjoy your car for the next 3 years.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is already a beautiful car. It already performs about as best as you can expect. Only modify what bugs you and keep the original parts.

Focus on your studies and don't worry about the car. My studies have paid for more cars than you can shake a stick at......
Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 AM
stanv

Originally Posted by Coprolite
Focus on your studies and don't worry about the car. My studies have paid for more cars than you can shake a stick at......
Lol that's definitely the plan. It's gana take forever but will hopefully pay off.
(Tax law)

Originally Posted by soolman32
Most of us who are about modding don't really ponder whether we should do it or not... we ponder which mod to get next and in what order. If you're on the fence about modding then it doesn't seem worth it. With that said If you want a "better" running/smoother car, throw in some HKS hi flow filter and get the uprev tune. a light tint and enjoy your car for the next 3 years.
^I'll look into those. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 AM
viventi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I leased my car for 39 months, and within three weeks it already was lowered, had the IPL bumper installed, swapped out my wheels and lighting was changed out. lol.

Actually, I ordered the bumper before I even had the car

And it already has an intake and exhaust on the way, as well as rear splash guards, rear diffuser and possibly new wheels again. My grille is getting painted as well. Just do stuff do it that can be swapped back out and sold when you're done. Like others have said, make the car something you'll enjoy...yeah it's only 39 months, but 39 months is a long time.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Meekayal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't it a hassle to mod and take care of that stuff during school? I always just mod and such during summer and breaks

I think you should do a couple of things, you could also buy out the lease in the end and keep the mods. They'll be too sweet to let go.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Brainchild

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mod: yes. Keep all OEM parts: yes. Become a modding addict: yes.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Brainchild

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
And eBay is a great source to find new/used stock parts if needed.

Quick Reply: New To Modding. Do it or not?