MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Help Caliper Paint (with G2 paint) w/ limited time

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:43 PM
jsp872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caliper Paint (with G2 paint) w/ limited time

To make the long story short,
I only have about 7 hours to complete my caliper paint job, with G2 paint.
I will be taking off the calipers to apply the paint,
Here are some of the questions I have to see if this is even possible.

1. Can G2 paint be applied to our BBK surface, without prep work (ie. sanding)
I just plan on cleaning the hell out of the suraface with the cleaner
provided in the kit.

2. Can I drive home (5 mile trip) after I let it dry for about 2 - 3 hours, if I try
very very light braking, so my calipers dont heat up much.

All this is becuase of the 7 hour allotted time frame, and I won't get more then that.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I would say no on the first question. In my exp with any kind of painting you have to roughen up the surface for the paint to bond properly, not only clean it. It is a little different for epoxy paints though.

And the second question I would also say no as the paint isn't fully dry yet. Heat MAY mess it up, not to mention the brake dust even though minimal may mess it up as well.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree 100% with Mattster on the first point. You must sand. With regard to the second point I imagine that the heat from the brakes being used will affect the paint only if there's a large amount of moisture released by the paint layer that cannot escape past the clearcoat layer. My advice: use a heat gun. I did when I painted my calipers. I also had a limited time frame and the heat gun saved my life. Just be real conservative, keep a good distance, take your time, and never ever let the gun point on the same spot for more than like 2 seconds at a time. Just constantly wave the thing around like it's a Chinese fan. I had 2 layers of paint and 2 layers of clearcoat and used the heat gun between each layer.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:36 PM
jsp872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah,
I think i'm just going to leave the calipers on the car and prep, mask, and paint,
seems alot easier then take the calipers off and going through all that mess
Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you ever do this? Most advice here is for regular painting, although heat will speed up the epoxy curing to a degree. Don't rush this.

Surprisingly, I would recommend leaving the calipers on the car if you are doing G2. I took them off and had no way to hold them while brushing it on. I would simply pick a line towards the interior of the caliper and tape it off. You'll never notice the back part. Did you ever notice that only the front half of the caliper was painted before?

The other part to be careful about is taping off the bleed screw. Some of my masking tape touched the caliper and left blank spots behind the bleed screws. There is no such thing as touching up epoxy paint, as the paint can is just as cured as the caliper.

I am currently searching for adequate touch up paint for my virtually invisible spots.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
This is really simple and can also be done on the car if you want ..

You need to scuff the surface lightly with fine sand paper so paint will bond good. And yes I drove on mine within an hour of addin the clear coat. Read my thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-painting.html
Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
This is really simple and can also be done on the car if you want ..

You need to scuff the surface lightly with fine sand paper so paint will bond good. And yes I drove on mine within an hour of addin the clear coat. Read my thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-painting.html
Don't mean to threadjack but just saw the thread you posted. Any issues with flaking or anything like that? How long has it been painted that way? Do we need high temp paint?

Thanks man!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:20 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
So has this been actually done yet? Using G2 paint on our calipers? Curious how this turned out.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted pictures with my Orange G2 calipers in a separate thread. No clear coat needed. If I get bored with the set up, I will simply repaint while on the car next time.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
Don't mean to threadjack but just saw the thread you posted. Any issues with flaking or anything like that? How long has it been painted that way? Do we need high temp paint?

Thanks man!
Brakes look the same as the first day I did them back in November 2011. No need for high temp paint as the calipers are already coated from the factory. Paint has not chipped or peeled off at all and still look perfect due to using a good amount of clear coat.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:08 PM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
Brakes look the same as the first day I did them back in November 2011. No need for high temp paint as the calipers are already coated from the factory. Paint has not chipped or peeled off at all and still look perfect due to using a good amount of clear coat.
Did you paint directly over the factory silver paint?

I have mine sprayed with a can of duplicolor caliper paint. It held up great, but I want to redo mine. What do you guys suggest I do, sand off the spray paint or just use brake cleaner to remove the paint? Or what Do you guys think high temp engine enamel will hold up ?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:21 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by LegitMW
I have mine sprayed with a can of duplicolor caliper paint. It held up great, but I want to redo mine. What do you guys suggest I do, sand off the spray paint or just use brake cleaner to remove the paint? Or what Do you guys think high temp engine enamel will hold up ?
If you're re-doing, clean and scuff it up at least before applying a new coat.

I spray-painted mine back in 2009. Since then i've applied a new layer of clearcoat (it got dull from fluid touching). I've also had a couple of small chips on the back of the caliper, which i left alone.

The paint itself, High-temp enamel, has held up just fine even with track duty.

My original post from 2009:
Spray-painted Akebono's - G35Driver