MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Show me your AUTHENTIC JDM parts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:34 AM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
LOL, I'm the same guy! See how i write my engrish?
haha I'm just messing around, haven't talked to you in awhile so i had to say something....
Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Damn Bill. I haven't really kept up with this thread at all. I went back and actually read your very first post that clearly said not to instigate the Authentic vs Replica debate here. I'm sorry about that, I guess I should have paid more attention. My bad.
No, no, no... Don't apologize, Jeremy. I have absolutely no problem participating in the authentic/replica debate. If a few people can learn something from it, then we're doing a service to the industry we love. People who claim to love authentic, love the industry, acknowledge that replicas harm the industry, etc... yet continue to support (and when I say "support" I mean purchase parts made by a replica/knock-off company and/or from a company that profits from the sale of those parts) the companies stealing designs from the real innovators of the aftermarket, they are doing nothing but perpetuating the cycle and actively exhibiting a double standard.

Last edited by WPPJR30; 05-25-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-25-2012, 02:18 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Well this is great Bill, and I know you know your JDM facts, I'm assuming when you say innovators in parts for imports you're speaking of JDM companies. Just some questions, I thought the Japanese were known for taking an idea and making it better?

Do you remember the agrument that the Watanabe RS wheel was a replica of the Austin Minilite wheel?
The Minilites were 1963 and won the Monte Carlo Rally in 1967, way before Watanabe made the RS.

Or the Mikuni Sidedrift carbs being a copy of the Weber DCOE?

You know I buy/support authentic, just some positive conversation to pass time.

Last edited by RYs06MT; 05-25-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:25 PM
WPPJR30

Ryan... I just got your PM.

You are absolutely correct. Replicas are not only in the US. They are in Japan, as well. I think some people have a misconception of me as a JDM ***** (and snob to everything that is not produced in Japan). That is not exactly correct. Yes, I love JDM parts. However, I do not love them because I believe them to be far superior to every other part out there. I will say that I would never modify my car with a part that I did not believe to be superior to the part it is replacing, but that does not mean that there are not quality parts that come out of the United States or any other place in the world.

My affinity to JDM comes from the high quality, rarity, and, most importantly, the attention to detail. I am not suggesting that a set of Rays wheels are indestructible - that is a ridiculous claim. Yes, Rays wheels bend and break occasionally. However, there is a reason they are among the top wheel manufacturers in the world. And, yes, there is an enthusiast in Japan who is rocking fake wheels. That does not mean that his purchase of those unoriginal wheels is not, in some way, harming the original designer. It is. There is "rice" in Japan, as well. There are V36s in Japan rocking Autokits-X parts. And not everyone in Japan loves "JDM." (There are Vossens in Japan!) Although Rays has undoubtedly been affected by companies like Rota, Varrstoen, Sportline, Konig, etc..., they have survived having their designs ripped off for years because they make a large majority of their sales and profit from OEM manufacturing as opposed to aftermarket wheel sales. (Unfortunately, this is not the case with aero.)

I have always said that I cannot tell someone how to spend their money. However, I do take issue with people suggesting that knock-offs and replicas do not harm the industry. That is just not true. I know firsthand that it does. I have been lucky enough to be involved in some conversations with companies in Japan and I have been privileged enough to see what goes into creating original designs and prototypes. It is not as simple as suggesting that "if companies do not want to have their designs stolen, then they should lower their outrageous prices." It's just not the case. Replica companies ALWAYS make more in profit than the original designers who pay to R&D their own parts.

Short term greed leads to long term failure and, sadly, it affects everyone. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow. But it does. For evidence, we can look at the trend in parts being produced from great companies in Japan. It does affect everyone. People just don't care or want to believe that. If their ride looks good today and gets a 'thumbs up' from the Evo owner who could care less about parts for our cars at a local coffee shop meet or a "that looks sick" from a misguided forum audience, then, in their mind, they have succeeded. We see it here every day with broadcasts of Gs rocking fake parts showing off their "features." It bothers me more than it bothers most, thus I have earned the "here we go again" responses every time I chime in on the authentic/replica debate. However, no one says anything discouraging when someone posts up pictures of their fake aero or knock-off wheels. It should be the other way around.

Yes, replicas and knock-offs are not going anywhere any time soon - in many parts of the world, but if we refuse to praise those corner-cutting projects featuring those parts or attempt to [politely] enlighten the people who may know no better, then we are doing our part in preserving a culture I have loved for years and want to see grow and prosper with the release of more and more great parts...

I have no idea if I have, in any way, addressed your question. Thanks for the PM...
The following users liked this post:
j50ny (08-29-2015)
Old 05-27-2012, 08:09 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Are there actual statistics showing how the companies that produce the replica parts have impacted the companies that produced the original? If so I would be interested to see how much and to what extent. I think numbers will help people realize and understand what the actual impact is. If not, I would hope someone would be able to show some type of concrete evidence.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:30 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Wrong thread, my bad.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:25 PM
used2xb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting debate. Maybe there needs to be an "authentic" JDM industry organization, for both awareness and information. Because, I'd also like to know which companies are infringing, but it's a little tough to piece together the situation.

Anyways, a bit more on topic. I have a JDM thing now! Functionally dubious, definitely shiny, and hopefully authentic.

Last edited by used2xb; 06-01-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 PM
ijahman

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes...Back on Topic A few more goodies...

ENDLESS RACING MONO 6 BBK (6 POT F/6 POT R) Special thanks to TUS Japan

CUSCO STRUT TOWER BAR

CUSCO SWAY BARS
Old 06-01-2012, 08:02 PM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ijahman
Yes...Back on Topic A few more goodies...

CUSCO STRUT TOWER BAR

CUSCO SWAY BARS
got damn. you're killin it....
Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
never cease to amaze............
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 PM
WPPJR30

I really don't want to turn this into another debate thread, but to quickly address the question about statistics and numbers backing up my claims... These companies stealing designs, making replicas, and knocking off parts are not publicly traded companies, so there are no public financial statistics. However, it is painfully obvious to anyone involved in the industry. Working with Bulletproof, the US importer of most of these JDM companies, it is extremely apparent (as it is for anyone in the supply chain or these JDM companies themselves). We have seen the difference and, sadly, it is a continuous trend. Thus, the reason I discourage faking the funk and advocate support of authenticity.

That said... That IPL photo with the Cusco strut bar is pretty sick.

And Christopher, damn, I cannot wait to see this project of yours as it evolves even further. I really hope we are able to cross paths at some point. I absolutely LOVE your build...
Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ijahman
Damn bro.. you NEVER cease to amaze! *takes hat off*
Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 PM
ijahman

That said... That IPL photo with the Cusco strut bar is pretty sick.

That Pic is pretty dope...

And Christopher, damn, I cannot wait to see this project of yours as it evolves even further. I really hope we are able to cross paths at some point. I absolutely LOVE your build... [/QUOTE]

Dude I will in CT this summer Bro I will for sure let you know when Im in town...Bro I love these cars love talking about them looking at and modding the hell out of them...The funny thing is this is my first car from Japan...came Audi/VW and had a few Volvo's so every part I researched got tips from this forum and just added my flair to it to create this build, this almost three years in the making this car...
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 PM
ijahman

LOL.... Thanks dudes...

Originally Posted by kevshiau
never cease to amaze............
Originally Posted by J2S2M
Damn bro.. you NEVER cease to amaze! *takes hat off*
Originally Posted by kchu221
got damn. you're killin it....
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Where did you get the Cusco strut bars?

Quick Reply: Show me your AUTHENTIC JDM parts...