MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Help g37s intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 PM
RadMav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No exhaust that is correct.

Yes you are reading that correctly. In fact when Injen was running Dyno tests they determined that installation of an exhaust in conjunction with the intake actually produced a lower final output.

Modified and D-Sport have also written articles relating to this. Installation of an intake alone increases hp and Torque. But adding an exhaust without retuning the ecu on a dyno, consistently reduces the Hp gained by adding the intake alone.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:24 PM
RadMav

The Article in Modified was really interesting because they add each component then re-dynoed the car after each component was added. They also added each component individually to see what kind of Power increase could be expected from each individual component. I don't recall what kind of car they were using for testing. But they tested Cold air intake, Cat Back exhaust, Dyno tuning, rechipping with after market chips, Nitrous, and I think they turbo charged the car for the final component.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 AM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Am I reading this correct, noticeable increase in torque/hp with just an intake alone, no exhaust modifications?
If youre refering to my pics, the only difference I made was extending the intakes and then the air temperature. Air temp and humidity makes a big difference. I already had stillen HFC and catback when i did both runs.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:43 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by RadMav
Yes you are reading that correctly. In fact when Injen was running Dyno tests they determined that installation of an exhaust in conjunction with the intake actually produced a lower final output.

Modified and D-Sport have also written articles relating to this. Installation of an intake alone increases hp and Torque. But adding an exhaust without retuning the ecu on a dyno, consistently reduces the Hp gained by adding the intake alone.

This is 100% wrong. I gained over 14 HP and considerable TQ gains with my Fast Intentions exhaust and ZERO tune. cheers!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Ideally, the goal would to have an increase across the entire rpm range, not just at the top. However, what I'm trying to determine is if noticeable (that is in normal every day, daily driving) increases can be made with just a CAI, or if the exhaust has to be changed as well. I'm looking for things like better throttle response, more low end, etc. Of course, I don't yet have the car, so once I get it, it'll probably be at least next summer if/when I start making changes.

When I did the mods on the bike, I did everything at once. Enlarged air box opening, better flowing air filter, smaller secondary throttle plates (permit more air), power commander w/ ignition module, gutting the cats, and after market exhaust. At the end, I gained about 15hp and 7-8 ft lb of torque on the top, but more importantly, the entire bike seemed more alive with increases throughout.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:56 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by 37hevn
I bought my car and it had shorty cold air intakes so i paid a shop to extend them to where they are just like the Stillen gen 3 and the i wrapped the tubes with DEI exhaust wrap. before i dynoed in 80 degree air in july, after i dynoed in 60 october. but i gain up to 17 hp and 14 torque on a REAL dyno. I ended up with 275 peak and i have everything but headers.
Whats a REAL dyno??

Im at 305 hp with a Stillen Gen 3, and Fujitsubo exhaust.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:32 PM
37hevn

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Whats a REAL dyno??

Im at 305 hp with a Stillen Gen 3, and Fujitsubo exhaust.
To me a real dyno doesnt inflate the hp numbers. If you do something to a car and the hp increase 3% on the dyno I use but then one that inflates the numbers might be 6% or higher. If people calibrate it right g37's wont be over 300 hp with just a couple things done, I mean its generously over rated 330 crank stock. Im getting headers put on in a few days and im going to dyno it again before and after and ill post the results. I will have everything performance possible from Stillen and an unorthodox alt pulley with an uprev tune and im hoping to get to 295. On the Stillen website their baseline is like 277 and thats the lowest ive seen, thats what i put down on the dyno last time. A guy I know has less things done to his 03 350z than I do and he put down 269 on a different dyno, thats 30 hp difference than the 350z's that have been on the one I use have done.

A buddy of mine just got his 350z procharged heres the video of the it on that dyno.

2004 Nissan 350z procharger - YouTube

Last edited by 37hevn; 11-11-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:49 AM
audtatious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you can purchase replacement pipes from R2C that keeps the factory intake boxes. The gain with these is better airflow since it replaces the accordion-style factory piping.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 PM
ricerlover94

im looking at getting the r2cs, but does it have to be cleaned more often, because it's an open air box?
Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM
37hevn

Originally Posted by ricerlover94
im looking at getting the r2cs, but does it have to be cleaned more often, because it's an open air box?
if you have the money get a true cold air intake, a box around the filter helps but its going to want more air than it can suck because its sealed against the hood AND your still bring in engine compartment air which is really warm. i gained an incredible amount of hp and tq switching it to stillen gen 3 style, and that was on a dyno where my car is putting down 275, it would probably be 20+hp difference on a dyno where people get around 300 hp
Old 11-22-2011, 01:32 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by 37hevn
To me a real dyno doesnt inflate the hp numbers. If you do something to a car and the hp increase 3% on the dyno I use but then one that inflates the numbers might be 6% or higher. If people calibrate it right g37's wont be over 300 hp with just a couple things done, I mean its generously over rated 330 crank stock. Im getting headers put on in a few days and im going to dyno it again before and after and ill post the results. I will have everything performance possible from Stillen and an unorthodox alt pulley with an uprev tune and im hoping to get to 295. On the Stillen website their baseline is like 277 and thats the lowest ive seen, thats what i put down on the dyno last time. A guy I know has less things done to his 03 350z than I do and he put down 269 on a different dyno, thats 30 hp difference than the 350z's that have been on the one I use have done.
My car was UpRev tuned at Stillen, on the same dyno!!
OMG they lied to me!!!

Nissan/Infiniti has a historic reputation for downplaying their HP numbers.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:44 PM
stevez732

Hey guys..new to this board...i just picked up a 2012 G37xs Sedan. I was looking to buy a new intake to get extra power...what do you guys suggest?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Brink2011

My concern is with a "TRUE" long tube CAI the air filters sit right behind the front grill and possibly suck in water when it rains. Can anyone confirm that they have had issues with this?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
37hevn

Originally Posted by Brink2011
My concern is with a "TRUE" long tube CAI the air filters sit right behind the front grill and possibly suck in water when it rains. Can anyone confirm that they have had issues with this?
Yea I think about it but havent had any issue. The stillen package has a splitter to protect it from things like that though. I dont have one cuz of my custom mimic job. My cones are also metal not K&N.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Itchytoe

Originally Posted by Brink2011
I have the Stillen Gen 3. I've driven through rains hard enough to slow me down to about 50 in a 70mph interstate where I'm normally doing 80. The rain was actually worse than most hurricanes we get down here in Louisiana. The car never missed a step, even when going through puddles I should have gone around. I wasn't in it long, only about half an hour, but I'm pretty confident longer wouldn't have made a difference.

Quick Reply: Help g37s intake