MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

TWM Short Shifter Group Buy!!! 15% Discount!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:30 AM
JJsBusaRox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I guess mine is some sort of freak because I spent 20 seconds removing mine, I just gripped it, held the shifter shaft with vice grips, and screwed it right off by hand. TeeItHIi, any vibration or loud noise over 4K PRM? Did you use that plastic spacer on the shaft of the shifter (the one they said was for the 370Z)? I just thought about it and I wonder if that might be the culprit?
BB, if I remember the instructions correctly, that plastic spacer is for the 370Z.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:44 AM
blegthbloo

dunno what plastic spacer you guys are talking about lol... the only plastic piece I got was for keeping the boot from sinking down into the hole area.

Also, I just went for a drive. Feels really crisp, but I need to loosen the bushing in the morning when there's more light and less mosquitos. I have like 6 bites on my face from being out there all night lol... no wonder they kept off my arms. Other than how hard it is for me to shift right now, I like it. Once I loosen that bushing it should be better. Also, pics tomorrow
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I used the plastic spacer to give the outer rubber boot something to fit tightly onto instead of being loose on the shifter shaft. I believe I can remove it without taking the whole console out, just need to remove the **** again. I'll see if that solves the problem.

Mine is a tiny bit stiff too so I think I may crawl back under and loosen it some as well. I did torque it to 8 ft/lbs which isn't much at all.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Well, I double checked the installation and everything is as it should be. The plastic spacer isn't the issue, I removed it and it still vibrates like crazy. I even tried removing the **** to make sure it wasn't the culprit. It isn't. The damn thing just vibrates. I'm thinking perhaps my aftermarket clutch and flywheel might make it worse. But it is terrible. I'm not happy with it.

At first I was like .
But now I'm like .

Has anyone else installed theirs yet?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Greggski

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is shipping out next week (don't know why mine is taking so long...), and I am running an OS giken, so I will let you know if it has the same issue..
Old 09-02-2011, 06:52 PM
08obsport

I just installed mine in about a little over an hour. I got in on this group buy late, I'm glad I did. This is my second TWM shifter, the last being on a 06 TC. I'm happy with the install. I also went with a satin A6 leopard shift **** that looks amazing.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:03 PM
JJsBusaRox

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Well, I double checked the installation and everything is as it should be. The plastic spacer isn't the issue, I removed it and it still vibrates like crazy. I even tried removing the **** to make sure it wasn't the culprit. It isn't. The damn thing just vibrates. I'm thinking perhaps my aftermarket clutch and flywheel might make it worse. But it is terrible. I'm not happy with it.

At first I was like .
But now I'm like .

Has anyone else installed theirs yet?
Sorry to hear BB. Get a hold of TWM and tell them of the issues. I'm sure they will be able to help in some way.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 PM
voltic

Originally Posted by 08obsport
I just installed mine in about a little over an hour. I got in on this group buy late, I'm glad I did. This is my second TWM shifter, the last being on a 06 TC. I'm happy with the install. I also went with a satin A6 leopard shift **** that looks amazing.
That satin A6 goes great with our trim, doesn't it? I love mine.

Can't wait to install my short shifter. Home in four days!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I went out and took it apart and inspected everything. I loosened the bolt holding the shifter but it still shifts somewhat clunky, I guess that's just the nature of the part. As far as my vibration/rattle issue, I fabricated my own little part to help with that. I got a piece of 1/16" thick rubber and cut 2 gaskets and placed them on top and bottom of the metal spacer (the one above the cup and below the reverse lockout plate). That seemed to help quite a bit. I also noticed that a lot of the rattle/vibration seemed to com from my OEM shift **** itself. I never had any before, but now with the TWM it does. It's much better than it was before the gaskets, but I may consider trying a new shift ****, although I've researched and seen that changing to different ***** doesn't seem to help most people who have shifter vibration.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:28 AM
08obsport

Originally Posted by voltic
That satin A6 goes great with our trim, doesn't it? I love mine.

Can't wait to install my short shifter. Home in four days!
Yeah I thought the choice was a no brainer.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:38 PM
JJsBusaRox

Finished installing mine. No clunking at all and greatly reduced whatever vibration that was there. Loving it! I'll have a detailed review with pics later..

UPDATE: here's the link to my review. https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding...ston-****.html

Last edited by JJsBusaRox; 09-05-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:09 AM
smileyz

Anyone that got in on the group buy and thinking twice about the purchase/install and want to sale??? PM me...

Thanks,
Mike K.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by smileyz
Anyone that got in on the group buy and thinking twice about the purchase/install and want to sale??? PM me...

Thanks,
Mike K.
Actually I was considering that very thing. I'll be in touch with you when I decide. Soon.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:14 PM
chucky

Group buy still on

I just got off the phone with TWM Performance. They said the group buy is good till the end of the month. So, if there are any more late comers like myself go for it. Haven't been on the forum for some time. Been spending all my money on motorcycles. Cold weather is coming and I've finished all my cycle mod.s. Time to get back to my G. If theres something I need to do with the guy who started the group buy please pm me. Like do I need to order through the forum or is there a discount code I need to enter?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
any updates on install of this??? Sounds like there were a lot of probs

Quick Reply: TWM Short Shifter Group Buy!!! 15% Discount!!