MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Rattling noise after Stillen GEN3 Intake installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM
ntworkg0d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling noise after Stillen GEN3 Intake installation

So I just had a shop install a Stillen Gen3 CAI today and there's some rattling coming from the driver's side area of the engine bay. It looks like the tube connected to the throttle body is pressed up against the strut tower. Is there something someone can recommend that I can use to put in between the tube and the tower to prevent the knocking?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
that's weird that it's contacting the strut bar...mine had slight contact right before the radiator where it passes through the metal...

but anyways, go to Home Depot and buy some of the felt that is sticky on one side and just stick in either on the strut bar so the felt is facing the intake piping or vice versa and it will eliminate any noise
Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would recommend loosening the silicon clamps and see if you can reposition the intake so it's not touching. Also keep an eye out for the A/C lines, and cover those appropriately to ensure the aluminum intake pipe doesn't make direct contact.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
ntworkg0d

Thanks for the reply fellas.. I'll try to readjust the intake tubing and if that doesn't work I'll try buying some heat resistant padding to stick in between.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 PM
ntworkg0d

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
I would recommend loosening the silicon clamps and see if you can reposition the intake so it's not touching. Also keep an eye out for the A/C lines, and cover those appropriately to ensure the aluminum intake pipe doesn't make direct contact.
If there was rubbing with the tube and the A/C line, where would that be occurring at? Would I be able see the problem in the engine bay, or would I need to take off the radiator cover to see an issue with the lines there?

Sorry - I'm a mechanical newb.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:05 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ntworkg0d
If there was rubbing with the tube and the A/C line, where would that be occurring at? Would I be able see the problem in the engine bay, or would I need to take off the radiator cover to see an issue with the lines there?

Sorry - I'm a mechanical newb.
The A/C lines run along the side of the engine bay. You can see them by just popping the hood. They are in a black plastic sheath and run right near the struts
Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Harley'sG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
that's weird that it's contacting the strut bar...mine had slight contact right before the radiator where it passes through the metal...

but anyways, go to Home Depot and buy some of the felt that is sticky on one side and just stick in either on the strut bar so the felt is facing the intake piping or vice versa and it will eliminate any noise
^^^Do this and there shouldn't be anymore rattle...this is the spot most common for it to be rattling. I plan on shaving this metal down a little to not have velcro visible but it works for now.

Last edited by Harley'sG; 07-27-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

^^ that is EXACTLY what mine looks like
Old 07-27-2010, 07:30 PM
ntworkg0d

Originally Posted by Harley'sG
^^^Do this and there shouldn't be anymore rattle...this is the spot most common for it to be rattling. I plan on shaving this metal down a little to not have velcro visible but it works for now.

Thanks again for the info... After doing some more investigating, that's exactly where my rattle is coming from. I bought a felt pad with an adhesive backing to fix this.

Also, I checked the tubing connected to the throttle body and didn't notice the A/C line coming in contact with it so I think I'm good there.

Thnx again.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ahhhhh

*sits back in chair, puts hands on back of head and throws feet up on the desk*

Nice to see forum members helping eachother out
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Afro engineering at its finest.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Had mine installed a few days ago... last Friday actually. I know... I know... Shocker, after I keep pushing R2c all over the place. lol I just wanted to see what all the hype was about regarding this system. While fitment isn't the greatest, the gains are indeed noticeable (I also have ERZ HFCs and FI CBE)! Props to Stillen for that! Boo to them for fitment. heh

So, the driver's side tube coming off the throttle body is touching the inner wheel-well part. The guys at the shop I went to just put some padding there between the tube and the body. I doubt that will hold up forever, but it works for now. And that part above where Harley put the velcro... they lined it with some hose on both sides, and it's good. Not the prettiest looking, but who cares. It's under the hood.

Also, the A/C lines on the outside of the stock intake openings (driver's side... the lines underneath the tubes just on the outside) were wrapped with more hose, as those were hitting the intake as well. No squeaks or rattles.

But here's my issue. The splash shield. Ugh. This is the best we could do... after flipping it over and back... blah blah blah.

About an inch of the driver's side filter is exposed to the elements. I did get caught in the rain Saturday night and didn't have any issues, but I'm worried about how it will hold up in the long run. We tried moving it around but that was the best we could get it. Anyone else have problems with that damn thing?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Harley'sG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that doesn't look right. I'll take a closer look at mine tomorrow and maybe snap a pic to show you how it looks.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

that looks REALLY crooked...it does need to be screwed onto one side or the other (mine is bolted onto the passenger side) but it is still straight and covers both filters equally.

And as far as the rain goes, I have never had any problems and have been in horrible weather and enough of it (also with my Seibon TS hood) that I don't have any concerns about it
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Yeah it was bent when I got it and took it out of the box. The bolt on one of the filters was longer so we figured that's the side it attached to. Trying to bend it (before even installing) was pointless since it would just snap right back. lol

Harley, if you get a pic, that'll be awesome!

Quick Reply: Rattling noise after Stillen GEN3 Intake installation