MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

how do you do lowering RIGHT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 PM
motobonsai

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how do you do lowering RIGHT?

I was thinking of lowering my 2010 g37x awd sedan.

I read through old posts and it seems lowering right involves more than just Eibachs?

Do I need a camber kit and new shocks and struts to do it correctly?

What else is needed for the smoothest ride possible?

Im just looking to lower for looks and everyday driving/handling.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:30 PM
ReddieG37

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Lowering with springs (ex Eibachs) is the cheaper way that will give you a moderate drop and improved handling. Lowering with just springs however will put more stress on your stock struts, which will cause the ride quality to worsen over time. I would say this is the easiest and most cost effective way to lower a car for the time being.

Another way to lower would be with coilovers, which replace the whole springs/struts assembly. Coilovers are good because you can adjust the height to your personal preference. Some coilover have adjustable dampening settings so your ride quality won't stiffen too much as you go lower. Coilovers, however, are more expensive but more worth it in the long run.

Camber kit will depend a lot on what springs you are dropped on. I believe you can stay within factory specs with these Eibachs. You also have to take into consideration if you are gonna go with aftermarket wheels with lower/aggressive offsets. In this case, I suggest you get a camber kit to adjust the camber for rubbing issues.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Lastchance

KW Variant 3's, SPL camber kits front and rear, go to a reputable place for corner balance and alignment after install.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Having had both Eibach and Tanabe on a coupe, I wouldn't advise going with Eibachs on a sedan unless you're looking for a stiffer less comfortable ride. With Tanabe Sustec, you get lowering to your taste and a suspension that improves comfort & performance over stock. Cost wise it's the most affordable coilover setup at $895, if cost isn't a concern and you want dampening adjustment there are several other $1800+ systems to choose from. If you want perfect alignment then get both front and rear camber kits. If cost is a concern and you plan to drop more then .7" in the rear you'll probably need a rear camber kit. Go with this and get an alignment. If they can't get the front in spec then you know you need a front camber kit too.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 04-12-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:27 PM
motobonsai

After more research it seems there are no options to lower an AWD am I wrong?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
cdso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some have lowered with coupe springs or aftermarket springs. As far as I know, there aren't any springs designed specifically for the X. Apparently you can drop the X, just not sure what the long term effects are.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:49 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FantastikG37
Lowering with springs (ex Eibachs) is the cheaper way that will give you a moderate drop and improved handling. Lowering with just springs however will put more stress on your stock struts, which will cause the ride quality to worsen over time. I would say this is the easiest and most cost effective way to lower a car for the time being.

Another way to lower would be with coilovers, which replace the whole springs/struts assembly. Coilovers are good because you can adjust the height to your personal preference. Some coilover have adjustable dampening settings so your ride quality won't stiffen too much as you go lower. Coilovers, however, are more expensive but more worth it in the long run.

Camber kit will depend a lot on what springs you are dropped on. I believe you can stay within factory specs with these Eibachs. You also have to take into consideration if you are gonna go with aftermarket wheels with lower/aggressive offsets. In this case, I suggest you get a camber kit to adjust the camber for rubbing issues.
Hmmm...I read posts here that said the Eibachs were the easiest on your shocks since it's the closest to factory spring spec you'll find and your shock lifetime won't take a noticeable hit. I could be wrong though. I'm on the Eibachs only and so far they're great.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 PM
ReddieG37

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Hmmm...I read posts here that said the Eibachs were the easiest on your shocks since it's the closest to factory spring spec you'll find and your shock lifetime won't take a noticeable hit. I could be wrong though. I'm on the Eibachs only and so far they're great.
Yea I've heard nothing but great things about Eibachs. I was just trying to say any lowering springs will decrease the life of your shocks faster than stock springs. But this probably won't be too noticeable.. depending on how long you keep the stock shocks/loweringsprings setup.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think anyone's lost a shock yet on Eibachs and that really wouldn't be the major concern for me. It's just for $600 more you can actually get some cush and feel like you have a suspension on those medium to large bumps. The Eibachs did improve handling, roll and squat but man when I'd hit a good bump there was a jarring thud. Comfort is night and day different and handling perfect for street driving. Factor in another $250 to get either installed and it's worth doing it once and spending the extra to get coilovers.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:01 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Well youre an X, so you cant get coils, yet at least.

You also cant get different front struts.

So youre only option is springs on stock struts with camber kits.

There arent any springs specifically for the X, but they all fit, just know the X will be .5" lower than the specs. i.e. front 1.5, itll be 2.0 on the X.

Best spring drop ive seen on an X sedan is H&Rs. Eibachs are too high in the front.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:32 AM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not to thread jack but if you were to slam your car on coilovers would you need rear camber arms? Im not trying to get back into stock spec i just need to run about -3.8 camber and 0 or keep within stock spec toe. Question is anyone slammed without rear camber kit and if so what are your alignment specs and is it eating up your tires?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
if you dont care about getting camber back to stock, just toe, you can just get a toe kit for 50 bucks.

i was slammed on coils and never even got an alignment let alone a camber kit and i had no probs eating up tires haha
Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 AM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
if you dont care about getting camber back to stock, just toe, you can just get a toe kit for 50 bucks.

i was slammed on coils and never even got an alignment let alone a camber kit and i had no probs eating up tires haha
lol nice. I know i dont want to drop 250 on a rear camber kit. where do you get just the toe bolts? will any toe bolt work? i.e. toe bolts for an 03 350z? Do you know the max neg camber you can run on the stock camber arms? If i recall it was 3.8? Can someone verify this?

Sorry for all the questions but i got some new setup that you all arn't ready for!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM
rossab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get the rear camber kit off ebay. I think you can pick up the ichiba (rebranded spc i think) for under $140. The camber kit install is easy. The toe bolts come with a kit, but they're a little more complicated to install, nothing crazy though if you have a dremmel and the proper bit.