MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Stillen Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:30 PM
KeyWasted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Intake question

Hey everyone, I am new here and had a question hopefully someone would be able to answer. I just got a new 09 g37S coupe about a month ago and so far love it. I was looking into changing the intake and have had a hard time deciding on which one. Two of my friends have G35 and both are running the Fujuta short ram intake. However, I have been looking at the Stillen Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Intake. My only concern is the placement of the intakes. Has anyone experienced or heard of anyone experiencing Hydro-locking? Of course I would never drive through a a huge puddle, but I was concerned with the chance that in heavy rain the filters could get saturated in water and cause hydro-lock. I live in Miami Florida so heavy rain does happen often. This is my only concern with the Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Intake and if i get it or go with the Fujita or the gen 2 from stillen. Any help you can give will be great.
-Chris
Old 12-16-2009, 01:54 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
They come with shields !!! I Also live in Miami and been through hard rain and unless the water floods your car I wouldn't worry
Old 12-16-2009, 01:56 PM
BocaIvan

I doubt you will hydrolock it. It needs to be submerged in water for that to happen. It does come with "sheilds" that help in the rain. You'll have a better chance of hydrolocking an Injen CAI (cold air intake) before the Stillen.

If you are that concerned about water, just get a SRI (short ram intake) like an Injen SRI.

Intakes are basically all the same...
Old 12-16-2009, 02:12 PM
VossenG37S

I'm still debating on stillen Gen 3...not cause of rain though , just wondering if they are wrth the difficult install .
Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
BocaIvan

They look bad a$$ with the Autokits Ryou grill though!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:04 PM
VossenG37S

Yeah if I get stillens ryou grill is a must but expensive !!! Lol so many options dam it...
Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KeyWasted
Hey everyone, I am new here and had a question hopefully someone would be able to answer. I just got a new 09 g37S coupe about a month ago and so far love it. I was looking into changing the intake and have had a hard time deciding on which one. Two of my friends have G35 and both are running the Fujuta short ram intake. However, I have been looking at the Stillen Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Intake. My only concern is the placement of the intakes. Has anyone experienced or heard of anyone experiencing Hydro-locking? Of course I would never drive through a a huge puddle, but I was concerned with the chance that in heavy rain the filters could get saturated in water and cause hydro-lock. I live in Miami Florida so heavy rain does happen often. This is my only concern with the Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Intake and if i get it or go with the Fujita or the gen 2 from stillen. Any help you can give will be great.
-Chris
the Stillen Gen3 I will say with absolute certainty that there is ZERO chance of hydro locking. If you were in water so bad that the intakes caused a hydro lock the engine would have to be nearly submerged in water, in which case the intakes is the least of your worries.
Over the past couple months here in SC there has been terrible rain and the shield on the Gen3 works like a charm, the intakes dont even get wet. The shield protects the filters from bugs, rocks, water, pretty much anything that would damage the filter. And then when they get dirty just take them out and wash them.

Originally Posted by BlkHR37S
I'm still debating on stillen Gen 3...not cause of rain though , just wondering if they are wrth the difficult install .
The install is not hard at all. Yes you have to cut some of the plastic, but if you can use a dremel and simply cut a circle then it's no problem at all. The DIY's on here are more than sufficient.

Originally Posted by BocaIvan
They look bad a$$ with the Autokits Ryou grill though!
And YES, they DEFINITELY looks awesome with both Autokits grilles (I've got the Katzu)
Old 12-16-2009, 04:54 PM
KeyWasted

Thanks everyone for your help. I knew about the shield but just didn't know how well it worked. hispeed-lowdrag you say its had no problem for you, so thats good enough for me. Just wanted to make sure and not make a mistake I regret later.
-Chris
Old 12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KeyWasted
Thanks everyone for your help. I knew about the shield but just didn't know how well it worked. hispeed-lowdrag you say its had no problem for you, so thats good enough for me. Just wanted to make sure and not make a mistake I regret later.
-Chris
Yeah man that shield works exactly how it's designed to. I've even had a big SUV driving next to me and we went through a dip where the rain had pooled and the SUV sprayed enough water over my car that I couldnt see out the windshield for a good 2-3 seconds (w/the wipers on full speed as well) and the filters were fine after that so...
Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...from-cais.html
Old 12-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Gazan37
Banned

There's no way you'll hydrolock with the Gen 3 the shields make it impossible unless the water is up past your grill. And forget the fugita it has horrible numbers. I remember someone on this forum losing 1whp and gaining 1wtq.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:52 PM
akuma_83

Thumbs up Stillen Gen 3's !!!

I have the Stillen Gen 3's and the wheather out here in Guam sucks ! It rains almost all the damn time and ocassionally we get tropical storm wheather and when that happens, it rains like a motherfauqer... so far so good ( *knock* on wood ) no hydro locking out here ! Using the stock grill... next mod would be the Autokits grill to make the intakes really stand out ! Good luck my friend ! No regretes with the Stillen Gen 3's here !
Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Retromoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way you will hydro lock is if you submerge the whole front end of the car into water.

/thread.