MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Review Mastergrade Carbon Fiber Roof Cap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 05:44 PM
ChOy BoY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mastergrade Carbon Fiber Roof Cap.

Well..the whole process of me getting this actual cap, is a different story for a different day..so I'll start my review of the cap.

Taking it out of the package, it was extremely light, but definitely looked well made, the carbon fiber was perfect and extremely nice. It had the satellite antenna piece built onto the cap(which I didn't know).

Putting it on was fairly simple, even though I didn't do most of it, but the fitting on it looked good when we put it on.

Now...here's the problem, the crevices between the roof and the rubber weather guard along the roof of the car, is left completely untouched. Since the roof cap is completely flat and cant bend downwards at those parts of the car, the white is exposed on all the sides of the car and around the moonroof. Unlike an overlay, it can't bend and fold down. I was actually under the impression that these would be made with a fold down, so the CF would cover all of this space, but it's not; it's just completely flat...leaving all those downward facing parts of the roof exposed white.

Disappointed? Very much so; I think this is an awesome product, the roof looks great, only if it was perfect fitment, which was guaranteed, but clearly isn't. I'm 99% sure it isn't something wrong with my install, as it is PHYSICALLY impossible to cover those areas with the cap, so i don't know what Mastergrade was thinking. The only way it would look good the way it is; is if I painted my roof black beforehand and then put this on, but what would be the point of that..everything should be CF.

Right now I believe I'm the only one that has this on, big pei my good friend from G35NYC is the other member that got this shipped to him and I told him not to put it on until something is worked out with Mastergrade over this issue, because this roof is far from a perfect fitment. If I'm paying this much for an item, I'm expecting something perfect with no flaws, but at certain points my car looks terrible because you see so much white along the roof. I really wish this roof cap was made perfectly, because I like the product and idea of it so much.

So right now, I warn against buying this until this gets resolved, and I'll keep you guys updated with what happens.

I also wanted to give Ben/MaxtotheG37 a big thanks for helping me out through this whole ordeal, talking to Jim for me, putting him in contact with me and giving me the idea of making this thread to begin with to really try to go about the correct steps in getting this situation resolved properly.

Here's the pics..I took two close up pics to show you what the crevices look like and how the roof cap the way it is is impossible to cover those spaces:

Last edited by ChOy BoY; 12-14-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah you are right. It looks sick except for the white around the edges. Sorry to hear, hopefully the fix it.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks good. I see what you are saying about still seeing the IP on the edges though.

Thanks for being honest though in your review. We need more of that here.

Last edited by Blackjack; 12-14-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Wicked_limitz
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
other than the white showing, it looks pretty sick...hopefully jim will resolve the problem for you matt. glad i didnt order this first.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
tfmbigdog99

Location: Where the kids are high and the grades are low. NYC
Damn Matt that sucks, well I guess sitting back and having a Snapple is the only thing left to do.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:55 PM
ChOy BoY

Originally Posted by Wicked_limitz
other than the white showing, it looks pretty sick...hopefully jim will resolve the problem for you matt. glad i didnt order this first.
i know bro. i love love love it..just wish it was perfect

Originally Posted by tfmbigdog99
Damn Matt that sucks, well I guess sitting back and having a Snapple is the only thing left to do.
hahahaha wheres my lime green tea! lol
Old 12-14-2008, 06:00 PM
DevilDog_37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like I like
Old 12-14-2008, 06:01 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Looks good but seems like they did not think about the sides or maybe was cut wrng. If they can fix it I would order one ...
Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you followed my idea.!

but... CF looks good... but its a super FAIL with the White on the edges... you need your roof painted black if you are goin to keep it.... Glad you finally got it tho
Old 12-14-2008, 06:25 PM
ChOy BoY

maybe i can just paint the edges lol
Old 12-14-2008, 06:42 PM
SOLISIMO

looks great but I dont know how the heck they will fix that bc thats a tough spot, I think painting it black well be your best bet and you wont even be able to tell the diff.....
Old 12-14-2008, 06:45 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
maybe a simple quick cheap fix is to get some vinyl from BluBat or a local tint shop... and just run a inch of black vinyl all the way around... cheap, fast, and simple....

what u think?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 PM
ChOy BoY

yea prolly could work ben
Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 PM
SOLISIMO

can that be taken off again or its on there good?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:49 PM
ChOy BoY

no it can be taken off, i'd just have to take all the tape off, and reapply new tape again

Quick Reply: Review Mastergrade Carbon Fiber Roof Cap.