MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Help LOTS of mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 AM
w0ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOTS of mod questions

sorry but i figured it would be best if i just asked everything in 1 place rather than spam up the boards lol. ive read 100s of threads on here already before you say search. some of the stuff im asking is more personal reviews so id like to get owner feedback.

sways
looking at stillens. front is adjustable and the inner holes are stiffer correct? has anyone compared the 2 settings and what are their thoughts on them?

havent seen any other good brands either.

springs
looking at eibach pro. has anyone pushed the car with aggressive driving though? ive always preferred linear springs for their predictability. i like the idea of a stock ride with the eibachs but im curious how they perform under stress.

also, i hear tein is coming out shortly with g37 specific springs. any word on release? are they going to be linear/progressive?

id like to be lower but im avoiding camber kits for now. plus my condo has huge speedbumps so i cant go too low. coils are a possibility but thats later on down the road.

lights - looking at ironman but where are the pics with the headlights ON? everyone is showing off the leds but id like to see white leds with the hpa 6000k bulbs on at the same time. for the guys who say they drive at night with just ironman, i just shake my head.

also debating between bats overlays for the rear or paint. i had overlays but im thinking about paint now. guess ill have to check with whatever shop i go with.

spacers
just want to confirm most people go with eibach or ichiba in 10/15mm for the stock 19s correct? what about people with a drop AND running spacers? what kind of setups are you using? do any of you drive the car aggressively? worried a bit about my driving + spacers.

tires
keeping the sport 19s so the upgrade would be moving the 245/40/19s from the rear to front and putting 275/35/19s in the rear right? again, with a drop im interested in what size spacers people run especially with the wider tires.

front strut
gt spec looks great but seriously, whats with the rubbing? anyone tried using some clear tape on that corner to protect the bar finish?

well i guess thats it for now, ill throw up more stuff as i think of it.

edit:

kp tech
i met kevin before and my buddy dan sells his stuff here. i looked at the site but what do you guys recommend for nav stuff? i just saw the nav a bit at the dealer so i dont really know all the stuff about it. i know theres a mod to allow you to make changes while driving right?

Last edited by w0ady; 11-12-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:36 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sways
looking at stillens. front is adjustable and the inner holes are stiffer correct? has anyone compared the 2 settings and what are their thoughts on them?

Fronts are non-adjustable, Rears are adjustable. For the rears, the inner holes are more stiff. There are currently no other options for sways. Hotchkis and Cusco both have some in the works, I believe.
EDIT: My thoughts? I love them. I have the BC Coilovers installed as well. With these two products paired, I get very little body roll.

also debating between bats overlays for the rear or paint. i had overlays but im thinking about paint now. guess ill have to check with whatever shop i go with.

The overlay is nice. I get compliments all the time.

kp tech
i met kevin before and my buddy dan sells his stuff here. i looked at the site but what do you guys recommend for nav stuff? i just saw the nav a bit at the dealer so i dont really know all the stuff about it. i know theres a mod to allow you to make changes while driving right?

I have the KP Tech Nav Bypass installed. I absolutely love the functionality is brings. Not only that, it does it without adding any switches. Total OEM integration.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:41 AM
w0ady

^thanks!

ya i confused the front and rears on the sways sorry.

i had bats overlays on my 35 so i like them too. just thinking paint might be meaner lol.

what exactly does the nav module do though?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
sways

I have the Stillen but have not tried the different settings, they did make a big difference though just like on the 35.

Cusco should be out soon

lights - looking at ironman but where are the pics with the headlights ON? everyone is showing off the leds but id like to see white leds with the hpa 6000k bulbs on at the same time. for the guys who say they drive at night with just ironman, i just shake my head.
Iron Man FTW!

overlays are biotch to work with but I would still go that route just in case you have an y trouble with the po po

spacers
just want to confirm most people go with eibach or ichiba in 10/15mm for the stock 19s correct? what about people with a drop AND running spacers? what kind of setups are you using? do any of you drive the car aggressively? worried a bit about my driving + spacers.
Correct, 10mm in the front and 15mm in the rear. Most are going with the Eibachs, so did I. I have heard plenty of stories about people having issues with spacers but have never actually met anyone who had problems. Just get the longer studs put in and you will be fine.

tires
keeping the sport 19s so the upgrade would be moving the 245/40/19s from the rear to front and putting 275/35/19s in the rear right? again, with a drop im interested in what size spacers people run especially with the wider tires.
That will work fine

front strut
gt spec looks great but seriously, whats with the rubbing? anyone tried using some clear tape on that corner to protect the bar finish?
Yeah the rubbing is not really good IMO, I believe JIC will have one out soon too.

edit:

kp tech
We are not really allowed to speak about this on this board but yes. He also makes a cool mirror tilt mod for parking
Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The nav module does two things.

Firstly, if you had nav on your 35, you know about the nag screen and what the KP Tech module did for it. Basically, it waits for a settable amount of time, then sends an 'OK' to the system to drop the nag screen.

Secondly, by holding the 'OK' button for ~1 second, it disengages the VSS signal fooling the Navi into thinking the car is not moving, which allows ALL options in the Navi to be available. This not only include Navi input, but also every other setting or option within the AV system as well. After you're done, you hold the 'OK' button for ~1 second and VSS comes back, GPS re-syncs and you're off.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:59 AM
w0ady

cool cool, all good info.

what setting are you running on your stillens chad?

ya only reason im doubting paint on the tails is cops. guess i could always get the overlays then change it.

think ill do the tires and figure out my drop then decide on spacers.

thanks for the info on the nav. i just talked to dan and ill probably have him install 1 and maybe the window module next time i see him.

another ? - who makes the YELLOWEST fogs? im not looking to do the hpa hid, i just want normal h1 bulbs thats are really yellow.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:07 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to see your questions were answered again.... I have a couple vendors I can recommend to you if you want the best deals... PM me...
Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 PM
w0ady

thanks bro, pm sent.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:05 PM
w0ady

tires
just did some calculations for swapping tires using a great site for checking sizes. not sure if anyones actually posted the #s before.

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

stock overall height
front - 27"
rear - 26.7"

with 245/40/19 f, 275/35/19 r
front - 26.7"
rear - 26.6"

you want to stay within 3% of stock height overall and this is almost perfect so its definitely a good swap. also you will have .7" more tire width in front and 1.2" more in the rear.

Last edited by w0ady; 11-12-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 PM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lyndon whats up homie!! i need 2 sign in 2 frenzy havnt been there in a week almost! i prob missed everything!! AAHHH
Old 11-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by w0ady
cool cool, all good info.

what setting are you running on your stillens chad?
ya only reason im doubting paint on the tails is cops. guess i could always get the overlays then change it.

think ill do the tires and figure out my drop then decide on spacers.

thanks for the info on the nav. i just talked to dan and ill probably have him install 1 and maybe the window module next time i see him.

another ? - who makes the YELLOWEST fogs? im not looking to do the hpa hid, i just want normal h1 bulbs thats are really yellow.
I have them on the stiffer setting so I guess thats the holes toward the inside.

I forgot about the Hotchkiss sways. Those are out and they make quality stuff.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok sir the answers to your questions are here:

sways

I've had both setting and the inside hole is stiffer and allows the car to handle better. It was weird at first but I like how the rear behaves on the inside hole.

springs
looking at eibach pro. has anyone pushed the car with aggressive driving though? ive always preferred linear springs for their predictability. i like the idea of a stock ride with the eibachs but im curious how they perform under stress.

also, i hear tein is coming out shortly with g37 specific springs. any word on release? are they going to be linear/progressive?

id like to be lower but im avoiding camber kits for now. plus my condo has huge speedbumps so i cant go too low. coils are a possibility but thats later on down the road.

U've seen the height of my car in person so all I can comment is that I love my 350z S-techs, car handles real nice with them.

I went with bat's 6/10 (darker ones) on my tails and heads and I love them, they look real good

spacers

Not a fan of the spacer look

tires

Yea I have 275/30/19 Vredsteins on the rear and still have my stock 225/40/19 on the front because those tires are still good. I might get 245/30/19 when they go bad or just get 225/30/19. I have no issues rubbing with my springs.

front strut

If you don't have a painted engine bay then you can put the bar lower. Also If you want to remove the fireblanket then it won't rub lol.

edit:

kp tech
Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 AM
w0ady

Originally Posted by NJlakeshoreG
lyndon whats up homie!! i need 2 sign in 2 frenzy havnt been there in a week almost! i prob missed everything!! AAHHH
whitey ford! go say hi in my intro thread lol.

good info brian. ill go with the inside holes on the sways. springs cant go lower even thought i want to because of my huge speedbumps i told you about. ill do the tire swap without spacers. probably painting the lights instead of overlays this time. gt spec will probably come later after i do the main stuff.