MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Intake help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:52 AM
samskillz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake help

So i've searched around and read what a lot of the members had to say but something i dont understand is this?

I see a lot of recommendations when it comes to intakes for the JWT CAI when i look at everyone signatures for their comments 90% of people who have intakes have the injen CAI....?

Im most likely going to get the CAI for the sound nothing really else of course i enjoy the extra HP, and if it makes a difference probably a Borla Exhaust... i found the Injen new $460 shipped and the JWT for $330 new shipped.

Also the thing about Injen i saw a list on the forums for people wanting to buy it at 700 and 500 i believe so i figured for less than that shipped must be a hell of a deal at this time.

My father nor I know much about installing these though i can do most home jobs myself, from reading I am thinking i can install the JWT easily myself but figured the INJEN would have to be taken some where, on that does anyone know the average cost to get it installed?

What I'm asking is Injen for 460 V.S. JWT for 330, and dont forget if it makes a difference what would go good with a Borla Exhaust!! and sound the best!

Thanks
New member -SAM!!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here we go. Be preparred for hundreds of opinions. Allot of people bought the Injen in a group buy before they new if it produced any power. However it seems like just as many people bought the JWT after finding out the Injen did not really produce any power.

Bottom line is the Injen will give you maybe 3WHP and the JWT will give you maybe 6-8WHP, both will change the sound of the car, the Injen looks a little better under the hood.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 PM
DIGITALG37

Get the JWT. I paid $350 shipped. 15 Mins install. Sick sound. A little more bite in the power... Nothing crazy. injen pipes get VERY hot and the install is harder and i think the CAI INjens sound took much similar to a CAI on a integra or civic. The pop charger gives more of a engine growl and not so much of the hollowed out intake pipe sound. _Still sexy ( im not taking shots at injen) just my opinion. JWT sounds better i think and easy to install and cheaper.

One idea woudl be to get temperature coils that can connect to the battery and that could wrap around the INjen intake pipe to cool it down. The polished intake pipe (which actaulyl runs cooler than the black) gets SOO hot can get a actually burn on your skin if you touch it. ALmost as hot as the engine block after a long drive. JWT- not as hot...
Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 PM
DIGITALG37

to each his own... Pick one. Install it. And move on. Doesn't matter which one. Just dont make your own... haha
Old 09-19-2008, 02:03 PM
samskillz

thanks for the info i guess JWT sounds best
Old 09-19-2008, 03:01 PM
The1andOnly

Originally Posted by DIGITALG37
Get the JWT. I paid $350 shipped. 15 Mins install. Sick sound. A little more bite in the power... Nothing crazy. injen pipes get VERY hot and the install is harder and i think the CAI INjens sound took much similar to a CAI on a integra or civic. The pop charger gives more of a engine growl and not so much of the hollowed out intake pipe sound. _Still sexy ( im not taking shots at injen) just my opinion. JWT sounds better i think and easy to install and cheaper.

One idea woudl be to get temperature coils that can connect to the battery and that could wrap around the INjen intake pipe to cool it down. The polished intake pipe (which actaulyl runs cooler than the black) gets SOO hot can get a actually burn on your skin if you touch it. ALmost as hot as the engine block after a long drive. JWT- not as hot...
Dob't wanna make this another intake argument, but I just wanted to give some more info on the Injen "heat issue". Lou, from Amplifed Motorsport had done data logging to check the actual temperatures. The Magden Computer read outs showed that it takes much less time for the Injen CAI to get to the same lowest temp. as the stock intakes do. Also, the read outs showed a drop in temp. even while reving at idle. I don't have the exact numbers or temps., but Lou posted the read outs on a thread.

The only reason why everyone says that they got very hot is because they park the car, open the hood and feel the pipes and that's just the worst way to test intake temps. Obviously the Injens are going to be hotter since they use metal tubing and not plastic like stock, but the plastic of the stock intakes actually take longer to cool down . You can't really prove how hot they get during driving since you can't touch the intakes therefore you can't feel the temp. of the pipes as the air passes through them.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:20 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
JWT hands down..
Old 09-19-2008, 03:55 PM
tfmbigdog99

Location: Where the kids are high and the grades are low. NYC
lol terrible your a funny guy
Old 09-19-2008, 04:19 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I chose the JWT...
  • better price
  • more power
  • EASIER install (no bumper removal or going through wheel well)
  • install did NOT require relocation of horn or replacing w/small windshield washer reserve
  • and of course due to the easier install - it's easier to revert back to stock
  • VQ throttle "growls" more which is more unique as I feel almost all v6's sound the same with typical CAIs

heres a video of the sound when I had Pop Charger only (before I got my exhaust)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84BLI2LSbok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpVzO8tg-Hs

I would recommend Tanabe Medallion exhaust for discreet, mature deep tone, and Greddy TiC for louder tone of the same type, and Borla for pure power.

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 09-19-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:21 PM
samskillz

I know a person at borla and can get them cheaper which is why I'm stuck on that. My Rx8 borla was only 675 vs $900
Old 09-19-2008, 06:50 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by samskillz
thanks for the info i guess JWT sounds best
I recommmend the JWT. I cannot tell you that it sounds better though sense I have never heard the Injen. I've heard that the Injen sounds better. The JWT does perform better and I love the sound. Check the shops around you on prices for installing parts. Most shops charge $80-120 an hour for installs. The Injen will take an hour it not an hour and a half depending on the shop so figure that in to. There are some vids of both intakes so take a look at that too. Good luck with your chose.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 PM
jsingh

I'm in the exact same position as you samskillz. How did the JWT work out for you? I've been searching around the forums and would like to know if ppl still stand by this product in relation to $ and performance gains.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Retromoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JWT is okay i've had plenty of recommendations to get them, But if you have money to spend on a Injen your better off with the Stillen 3rd generation intakes.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 PM
samskillz

Take a hammer to the metal bracket that doesn't reach, and flatten it out and it should stretch a little bit and fit fine
Old 02-07-2009, 05:46 PM
jsingh

The reason I don't want to go with the Stillen is because of the install process, would like something that's simple and easy to bolt on, am i correct in saying that?

Quick Reply: Intake help