MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Exhaust sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
KahnQuistador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust sensors

Heads up.

When I dropped my car off for the rest of the Stillen mods, the dealer was doing the exhaust on another guys G37 and found that all four sensors in the factory exhaust were cross threaded.

The dealer is going to replace them but said that getting the new sensors was taking longer than expected. For those who prefer to do their own work, this might be a serious problem.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:32 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine were fine...
Old 05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KahnQuistador
Heads up.

When I dropped my car off for the rest of the Stillen mods, the dealer was doing the exhaust on another guys G37 and found that all four sensors in the factory exhaust were cross threaded.

The dealer is going to replace them but said that getting the new sensors was taking longer than expected. For those who prefer to do their own work, this might be a serious problem.
what exactly does cross threaded mean? is that a bad thing? how are sensors involved in an exhaust swap - do u keep the OEM ones when getting an aftermarket exhaust..?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:30 PM
KahnQuistador

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
what exactly does cross threaded mean? is that a bad thing? how are sensors involved in an exhaust swap - do u keep the OEM ones when getting an aftermarket exhaust..?
Cross threaded means the screws didn't go in straight. It damages the threads. The shop puts the original sensors in the new exhaust.

Two of mine had the problem so I can't get the car until tomorrow.

I got a chance to check out the other guys car. Sounds very nice. Quiet at idle and comes alive revving it up. He got the double wall tips, I got the slash cut. Both cars have the same Stillen mods.

The other guy obviously has good taste in parts.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:48 PM
brrrtpoypoy

Cross threaded means the screws didn't go in straight. It damages the threads. The shop puts the original sensors in the new exhaust.

Two of mine had the problem so I can't get the car until tomorrow.

I got a chance to check out the other guys car. Sounds very nice. Quiet at idle and comes alive revving it up. He got the double wall tips, I got the slash cut. Both cars have the same Stillen mods.

The other guy obviously has good taste in parts.
What does double wall tips and slash cut mean? Thinkin' about getting the same exhaust.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:11 AM
KahnQuistador

Originally Posted by brrrtpoypoy
What does double wall tips and slash cut mean? Thinkin' about getting the same exhaust.
The slash cut looks like the factory tips, like this /. The double walls are cut straight like this |. Both look good and sound the same.

Running the full Stillen package makes a big difference and there is something to be said about running a matched set of parts.

The shop told me that Mr. B had a "before" (stock) dyno done and is getting an "after" (complete Stillen system) done as well. He is also rumored to be a member of this forum so maybe he'll post the results. According to Stillen, the mods should be worth 40 BHP. Should be interesting to see what the dyno says. Might even silence some of the Stillen bashers here.

I suppose if I'm going to beat him, I'll have to look at the cams next. I'll decline going forced induction on this car.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:45 AM
brrrtpoypoy

The slash cut looks like the factory tips, like this /. The double walls are cut straight like this |. Both look good and sound the same.

Running the full Stillen package makes a big difference and there is something to be said about running a matched set of parts.

The shop told me that Mr. B had a "before" (stock) dyno done and is getting an "after" (complete Stillen system) done as well. He is also rumored to be a member of this forum so maybe he'll post the results. According to Stillen, the mods should be worth 40 BHP. Should be interesting to see what the dyno says. Might even silence some of the Stillen bashers here.

I suppose if I'm going to beat him, I'll have to look at the cams next. I'll decline going forced induction on this car.
Thanks for the info. I thnk i'll be ordering my exhaust pretty soon
Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to Stillen, the mods should be worth 40 BHP. Should be interesting to see what the dyno says..
by 40 BHP u mean butt horse power as in what it feels like, Stillen actually quoted that lol...

yeah teh slash tips are cool ill go for str8 edge when i get exhaust though...

do u think the screws are cross threaded on a lot of our exhausts as like a redundant mistake?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:00 PM
KahnQuistador

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
by 40 BHP u mean butt horse power as in what it feels like, Stillen actually quoted that lol...

yeah teh slash tips are cool ill go for str8 edge when i get exhaust though...

do u think the screws are cross threaded on a lot of our exhausts as like a redundant mistake?
I just took the Stillen numbers straight out of their catalog. Butt HP might be one way to put it.

Since the cars are built with robots, I'd expect that many cars are affected. Things like that usually go unnoticed until somebody tries to remove stuff and they get feed back about it.