MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Gordee's Grounding Kit Installed and Reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:09 PM
G37_6MT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
My dissenting opinion is that you are mostly right on everything here with a few exceptions: There is no need to remove the stock wiring unless it's really in the way of the new wiring and it shouldn't be in most cases, all you need to do is add to, not take away. There is no way in hell this should take you 5 hours even if you don't have a clue. My first time doing it I only took maybe an hour or an hour and a half. Find a good bargain on 4 GA (or better yet, 0 GA) wire and it will likely cost you far less than what these premade "kits" cost. You can often buy very short runs of cable from audio shops for dirt cheap because they can't use them. The "Big 3" upgrade that you mentioned is all you usually need if you use heavy enough wire. Mine is 0 and 4 GA.
Yeah, agreed. Sorry I forgot to mention my suggestion of 5+ hours if you are doing a complete swap of the wires and make the swap look like stock. You are right on not having to remove the stock wirings since current will flow through the path of least resistance anyway. I am all for the clean/stock look that's why I suggested pulling/disconnect the stock wirings/connectors so you don't clutter up the connection terminals.

Good suggestion on buying short runs of cables from audio shops though, I have never thought about that. 0 gauge cable is crazy fat though hahaha
Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hm how would I know where to connect the wires to

Someone interested in doing a DIY, please??
Old 04-01-2008, 07:50 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My dissenting opinion is that you are mostly right on everything here with a few exceptions: There is no need to remove the stock wiring unless it's really in the way of the new wiring and it shouldn't be in most cases, all you need to do is add to, not take away. There is no way in hell this should take you 5 hours even if you don't have a clue. My first time doing it I only took maybe an hour or an hour and a half. Find a good bargain on 4 GA (or better yet, 0 GA) wire and it will likely cost you far less than what these premade "kits" cost. You can often buy very short runs of cable from audio shops for dirt cheap because they can't use them. The "Big 3" upgrade that you mentioned is all you usually need if you use heavy enough wire. Mine is 0 and 4 GA.

Ya what you are doing is eliminating current loops. But now we are getting on the technical side. We could also look at the use of proper shielding of wire but then it can get messy and time consuming. Grounding kit should help.

I just saw that these guys are out of Edmonton Alberta and that my dealer is a certified installer. When i get back I will go talk to my dealer and talk to some people that had this done and hopfully get some more feed back.

Last edited by shumby; 04-01-2008 at 07:54 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 04-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grounding is especially important on an Aluminum engine like we have. Considering aluminum is such a bad conductor of electricity. Compared to steel.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 AM
NemesisG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone should mass produce them and sell G37 spec Grounding Kits. (premeasured/proper locations/different colors) I know a guy from another forum I am on, My.IS, who does them for our community. Maybe he'd do them for ours....Usually go for $80ish-120ish depending on the gauge of wire, the materials used, and the way they are constructed.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:45 PM
spyderbret

Originally Posted by NemesisG37
Someone should mass produce them and sell G37 spec Grounding Kits. (premeasured/proper locations/different colors)
The kit I purchased is for the G37 specificly. Even my wife said the car shifts smoother now, and she doesn't notice hardly anything I do to my car....
Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
NemesisG37

I don't care what the company claims....Grounding kits make NO HORSEPOWER gains....at all.

For those who are fooled into thinking so...ask yourselves this....how do they make more hp?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by NemesisG37
I don't care what the company claims....Grounding kits make NO HORSEPOWER gains....at all.

For those who are fooled into thinking so...ask yourselves this....how do they make more hp?
Where did anyone claim any HP gains?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:56 PM
spyderbret

The claims are out there but I didn't do it for HP gains nor did I expect any. I did it mostly to smooth out my AT and that is what I got. I think there are other benefits as well but HP is not one of them. This is the second car I have installed a grounding kit on and the second time I have been impressed with the improvement. To each his own. I see the benefit and promote the product because I believe in it. For the others who come along and have an opposite opinion that's fine too. They wont change my mind.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:16 AM
NemesisG37

Where did anyone claim any HP gains?
Check their site...they even have dynos that show HP gains....Now for a company to go as far as produce BS dyno sheets of a product that cannot be proven to add HP just shows the real intention of trying to market the product.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:18 AM
NemesisG37

However, I do agree that it helps with smoother shifting. Hence, it can be proven as to how it does so.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:34 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Some say the HP factor comes from the fact that EVERY aspect of modern cars are controlled by electronics, and thats where grounding kits tend to help. If the tranny shifts improve, and all the electronic brains are running better on the car, I can maybe let the idea of a HP or 2 creep into my head. I said MAYBE, remember that I could more easily see better times at the track or something along those lines do to the increased response of the electrical components.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:40 PM
KahnQuistador

I used Gordee's kit on my G35 and agree with spyder. I like the way my 35 shifts better than my 37 and I believe Gordees's kit did it.

I also grounded my manual GSR well to make sure the extra ECU electronics had a solid ground. No HP gains but I never had any ECU glitches.

Gordee's kit was terrific as decribed up front on this thread. I really like the kit and would buy another one but, this time, I decided I'd go with all parts from one manufacturer. I've never done that before.

As soon as Stillen releases their kit, Dean will call me and I'll get it. That will make my ride 100% Stillen; long tube intakes, headers, HFCs and exhaust. Then the grounding kit will complete it. Another bonus, you have NO warranty issues with Stillen (or Nismo) parts according to the dealer.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:30 PM
LAG37

when is stillen coming out with their grounding kit for the G?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:50 PM
KahnQuistador

Don't know but it should be soon.

Quick Reply: Gordee's Grounding Kit Installed and Reviewed