MN G CREW This is the subforum for the MN G CREW

Need some advice on purchasing a G37x

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:00 PM
secretvampire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on purchasing a G37x

Hey guys,

So I'm actually new to the area, I just moved up here a few months ago from Texas. I'm looking to buy a used G37x for my wife to use as her daily and something I will enjoy driving on trips and around town. My other two cars are an '02 S2000 (which just went into winter hibernation) and a 996 911 Turbo, neither of which are really all that practical for running errands.

I have been checking out the selection at Wayzata Nissan since I haven't found much else for sale in the area at all, and they seem to be pretty fairly priced. They have a few base level '09s I'm considering, but they also do have an '09 G37xS that's fully loaded with low miles...only problem is it was a lemon law buyback. I'm seriously considering trying to negotiate them down significantly off the already reduced asking price and taking a chance, but am I totally crazy? The reason it was a buyback according to the disclosure statement was for the "shifter assembly" (it's an auto, my wife won't do manual) which they claim was fixed by realigning it. I was thinking about trying to track down the original servicing dealer to get more info and/or taking it for an inspection by an indie mechanic.

What do you think, am I insane to consider it? I know some people just don't like the way the 7AT shifts, and I'm thinking somebody just used this as an excuse to get out of the car. But who knows...
Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 PM
tvang

I think a lot of guys here in general won't reccomend buying from wayzata Nissan. When I was looking for a Z, I got no good feedback from the forum or friends in the area.

Let me ask, did you test drive it at least?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM
secretvampire

What were the general complaints about Wayzata? The problem is I'm having a hell of a time finding many G37x's for sale period...they seem to be one of the only games in the area with any kind of selection. I can't drag this search out over months since my wife's current car is in sad shape and she's getting (understandably) fed up with it.

I have not test driven that particular car just yet...that would of course be a necessity. I did test drive a couple of others (not at Wayzata) to get a baseline on what the cars should feel like, but those two were not colors/mileage I really wanted to purchase.

I guess if worst comes to worst, I can wait until we head down to Texas for Christmas as there seems to be a larger selection there by virtue of having so many major cities in close proximity.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You definitely do not want to buy a Lemon. My brother made that mistake and though the car overall ran fine, there were always lil things popping up. An example would be the windows motor randomly giving out on him a couple of times. But the worst part is when it come time to sell it, no one but Infiniti/Nissan will purchase it from you. Plus the resale value on it will be beyond ridiculous. My brother was only able to get $7K for his 07 sedan. I bought my G coupe brand new from Lupient Infiniti in Golden Valley and their staff (all around) has been stellar. I d recommend going to them. Even if they don't have the car you need in stock, they can find it and get it here for you.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:56 PM
tvang

A lot of it was about poor service. I say, be patient and get one where you won't have any thoughts or questions if you "did the right thing". I did a quick search on cars.com and there are quite a few on neighboring states.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 PM
MN-G-Fever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on lupient Infiniti
Old 11-15-2011, 01:39 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I had Luther Infiniti find me the exact car (sans the color) that I wanted at auction and they shipped it up to me and sold it to me for just a bit over what they paid. That was quality service right there.

I'd try either of the dealers TBH. Wayzata Nissan has some stories behind them and i'v never really had a stellar experience there. They seem to have a history buying accident vehicles.. My dad bought a Corvette there, but it checked out and the car has been fine for the most part (only had like 10k miles on it and full warranty) but i dont think I'd buy anything else from there.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:28 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Avoid Wayzata Nissan, they buy a LOT of lemons or defected cars and fix them, which is why they post 90% of their cars on ebay. You CAN get a great priced car there, you just have to do an EXTREMELY HIGH amount of research on the vehicle..which I did for our FX35. Had them replace all of the brakes, rotors, 2 wheel bearings, and put in a new driver side seat motor.

If you want local, go to Luther infiniti for purchasing. They'll ship in any car you want within the us for free. Their sales department is great, ask for Chad...tell him Lance sent ya, he'll hook you up for sure.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 AM
WannabeSport

Luther should be able to get you a G37X for around the same that Wayzata can, except you will get the full certified pre owned inspection and service, along with a 100k warranty.

Both dealers have their pros and cons. Lance and I prefer Luther for sales, and Dan and Tevi prefer Lupient.

I however, go to Lupient for Service (like their department better)
Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 AM
WannabeSport

BTW i am going to assume that this is the car??
Wayzata Nissan 952-475-3939 New Nissan dealership in Wayzata, MN 55391, Minnesota Nissan Dealership
Old 11-15-2011, 10:56 AM
secretvampire

Thanks for the feedback guys, still trying to figure out how to go about this. WannabeSport, yes, that is the car. I'm not fixated on it by any means, I was just intrigued. I don't think I want to bother with the risk.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 AM
p-51ss
Minnesota G owners

I don't think I'd buy a lemon law car either. The biggest reason that the select of x's are a little hard to find at the moment is the seasonality change. 4x4 and awd vehicles are hot sellers with the pending snow. I think for the best value, go to Luther in Bloomington and have them search the auctions for the car you want. They can get just about any combo you want in color, miles and options at the best price.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:49 AM
DGGal
Minnesota G owners

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i bought my 05 coupe from wayzata nissan for a steal..but it was a lemon, with only an airbag issue. i looked into it before i bought the car and it all checked out...i believe whoever owned the car previously wasn't aware of the weight detection in the passenger seat..

anyway, i did have to replace my tires right away, the two front tires were BALD...it was almost winter, so i had to put winter tires on the car anyway and sold the two rear tires. my passenger seat motor went out, got that replaced under warranty...and the last issue i've really had was my locking mechanism went out on the driver side door. luckily i had extended warranty and got that fixed in no time.

overall, i've been happy with my car, but i do take very good care of it and haven't gone back to wayzata nissan since, their customer service was horrible. i would say, if you do end up purchasing this vehicle, to DEFINITELY buy extended warranty...some parts just go out due to age and normal wear and tare.

lupient i think is a bit pricey for what they offer...luther i've only dealt with in services.

best of luck on your car hunt!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:51 AM
Yumpity686

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MN-G-Fever
+1 on lupient Infiniti
Another +1 on Lupient
Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really happy with the sales department at Luther....unlike my visit to Wayzata they didnt' scoff at me when I went to test drive a $40,000+ vehicle! I happen to have a 2008 G35x down here in Roch for about 22k with only 40,000 miles on it. Just a thought, silver with the stone interior. Otherwise I would agree with the majority and say go to luther for sales and lupient for service. I was at lupient last night and it was'nt too bad. Except that I had to tell my friend about the FX while the internet sales lady glared at me cuz she didn't know her crap Not my fault you can't do your job!!!

Last edited by Alpha Ice; 11-16-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on purchasing a G37x