MN G CREW This is the subforum for the MN G CREW

New Mods?? Show it off >>HERE<<

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1cleanG
Nice Mike, glad you were able to get them on such short notice! Its too bad you ordered them RIIIIGHT before I became an official distributor for Fast Intentions!
Yea I know, would have been nice to know ahead of time. I kinda have mixed feelings on them, I can tell a diff for sure in the lower rpms and it seems to pull pretty hard regardless....but I can hear a small hiss when I get on it, and I'm not sure if its due to the resonated part itself or if it is just because the air is flowing unrestricted through it (So I was told by a co worker who has test pipes on his car). The sound is a bit louder which is nice but I want the hissing to go away lol. I also wasn't aware that my car would smell like it does without some sort of filter on there to clean the air....that might get annoying lol
Old 05-10-2012, 05:18 PM
TomPeters
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your exhaust just hiss when your RPM's are dropping around 1800 or so???? Mine does that too and I think it's just from the flex pipe. VQ's in general are notorious the HFC/TP hiss. I find it funny that you didn't know about the smell Ohhhhhh Mike!!!!

Side discussion: Anyone in the G Crew running D2 coils? I think I'm going to break down when my wheels come and slam my sedan. I've only read good things about them but was just curious if anyone had any first hand experience with them. Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Originally Posted by TomPeters
Does your exhaust just hiss when your RPM's are dropping around 1800 or so???? Mine does that too and I think it's just from the flex pipe. VQ's in general are notorious the HFC/TP hiss. I find it funny that you didn't know about the smell Ohhhhhh Mike!!!!

Side discussion: Anyone in the G Crew running D2 coils? I think I'm going to break down when my wheels come and slam my sedan. I've only read good things about them but was just curious if anyone had any first hand experience with them. Thanks
Mine hisses when I'm WOT....I'm gonna have the tech come with me and see what he thinks. I'm a bit disappointed it isn't too much louder. Yea the Hiss I'm aware of with our cars. I knew there isn't any filtration/scrubber, but I've never smelled it before so I didn't know what would change. I'm just hoping it is cuz it is new or something, cuz that will not be cool
Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by TomPeters

Lance and I both have that lil hissing sound when the RPM drops. Seems to be pretty normal I guess...

+1 on getting coils but I'm pretty sure none of use are running D2 coils. Between all of us, there's Stance, KW1, KW3, BC racing, Tein SSP and Tein Flex.

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
Mine hisses when I'm WOT....I'm gonna have the tech come with me and see what he thinks. I'm a bit disappointed it isn't too much louder. Yea the Hiss I'm aware of with our cars. I knew there isn't any filtration/scrubber, but I've never smelled it before so I didn't know what would change. I'm just hoping it is cuz it is new or something, cuz that will not be cool
As for the smelly test pipes... That's not going away. Sorry bud.The good news is you won't have any trouble selling these whenever you become overly annoyed with the smell.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
^^^THIS is what I'm not understanding. The only hissing I have is when I'm decelerating, at like 4k and slowing down its a very loud hissing. THIS is normal with any HFC or TP. WOT though?....I gotta hear this myself to believe it....if you're WOT, even if it was hissing at all, you shouldn't even be able to hear it??

Maybe you're hearing your intakes sucking up air ...or the wind blowing by...lol
Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Originally Posted by 1cleanG
^^^THIS is what I'm not understanding. The only hissing I have is when I'm decelerating, at like 4k and slowing down its a very loud hissing. THIS is normal with any HFC or TP. WOT though?....I gotta hear this myself to believe it....if you're WOT, even if it was hissing at all, you shouldn't even be able to hear it??

Maybe you're hearing your intakes sucking up air ...or the wind blowing by...lol
I did some researching and some other people were having it happen as well with certain exhausts, some ppl mentioned the Invidia Gemini specifically. But these were all coupes on 370s and some 37s, so I don't see this happening with the coupe. It almost sounds like a really bad tingy rasp or something, it's hard to say. I know it isn't my intakes, cuz it happens when I'm sitting still, it could be my intakes, but it's nothing I've ever heard before. My friend noticed it isn't a normal sound that is heard with Test Pipes, but I will get a video clip of it tomorrow with my SLR and post it up and send it to Tony. If this is the case due to my exhaust, I'll just go back to my hfc and not enjoy the extra torque or hp

I did see this on the forums from Tony himself:

Just an update - Please allow the ART pipes to have a break in period. ~1500 miles.

The fiberglass packing material is coated with a varnish like substance. A silicagel spray. It helps to keep the fiberglass from floating around during the packing process. Its the same type of fiberglass and coating that is used in mufflers where it goes through a break in period. This coating goes through 3 phases. 1) fresh from the factory where it is semi-rigid. 2) When it is initially exposed to the water vapor in the exhaust gas the silicagel solidifies the fiberglass to a rigid mass and this lasts for about 1000-1500 miles before it begins to soften back up again. 3) After about 1500 miles the fiberglass begins to soften up again and go back to a soft fluffy fiberglass state again. And this is where it reaches its optimum damping charecteristics.

Through the 3 phase changes you will hear a moderate change in the sound. This is normal. After break in the sound will remain constant and attain a smooth deep burbly rumble.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Found this just now too, he has the nismo/oem exhaust....but very similar to mine! I don't hear the rattling too much, but definitely the rasp/hiss he was mentioning

Well, I am not sure my situation applies to most. I am using these pipes with the nismo exhaust and have heard sounds that nobody else seems to be hearing. With that disclaimer, I would say:

1st week: Very slight metallic-sounding rattle inside ART pipes during cold start and deceleration. Rasp during acceleration above 3000, in the form of a hissing sound - NOT the typical hiss on deceleration (in fact, there was never any of that). Instead, it was the sound of air rushing through the pipes and it was coming straight from underneath me.

2nd, 3rd, and 4th weeks: Rattle sound gone completely. Rasp/hiss on acceleration remains. Because the Nismo exhaust is relatively quiet and deep, and the hissing was quite loud, it was bothersome. I was contemplating putting the stock cats back on or getting a different catback. The hiss was coming straight from the ART pipes themselves, or maybe the y-pipe - but that general area.

5th and 6th weeks: Hiss/rasp slowly went away. The type of rasp changed from a hissing sound emanating from the pipes themselves to a much more subdued, open-exhaust type rasp that you would expect. Except now, the rasp (which, again, is very slight) comes from the exhaust tips rather than the ART pipes under the floor board. This is about what I expected from reading about the ART pipes, and I'm happy with it. I don't think HFC's would be any quieter.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Love this sound....just wish it was mine
370Z with Motordyne ART, Stillen Gen3, and HKS Hi Power - YouTube
Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 AM
Songle6MT

Originally Posted by WannabeSport

Looks Awesome! I want to see it in person tomorrow lol.

And change your signature already... You don't have rennens anymore
Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I'll change my sig when you make yours less boring
Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 AM
Songle6MT

I'll change my sig when you make yours less boring
I tried a long time ago, I can't without a premier membership
Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Rocket Jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks so clean......NICE!!

RJ
Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
TomPeters
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Janik - Looking good buddy!!!!

Mike - I say leave the pipes on for the trip as that will take care of the break in period. I will meet up with you later today to what it sounds like in person.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Looks awesome with the drop. I just can't get over how funny it is that you guys looked far and wide forever to find wheels that you liked and in the end you ended up going with Stocks.....LMFAO!

Quick Reply: New Mods?? Show it off >>HERE<<