Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Thoughts on Z1 IPL/Nismo H-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 07:46 PM
heedtheninja67
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thoughts on Z1 IPL/Nismo H-Pipe?

I was doing some research and found the IPL H-pipe was restrictive at 2.1" and that Z1 had one on sale that was 2.5" that was a direct replacement to the OEM one. The IPL one has flex pipes, a heat shield, and what appears to be some kind of dampener? The Z1 doesn't have either and uses a slip joint and clamp. The few reviews (google/370z forums) seem to be mixed with some not having issues while others have issues with vibration or leaking through the slip joints, some of which could be bad install. It's currently $225 from $350. I know Fast Intentions and other performance exhausts don't have flex pipes, but FI have stated they're not needed because the exhausts are made to high quality standards, vs the mass produced ones from Nissan. Do slip joints allow for slight movement? Just trying to see what kind of downsides there are or if any of my information is incorrect.

IPL

Z1

Link
Old 06-10-2024, 10:01 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 290 Likes on 191 Posts
I installed it on my sedan about 2 months ago and unfortunately I have the dreaded leak at the slip joint. When I read reviews I assumed it was user error but seems like it's nearly impossible to get rid of. I will be taking it to a shop to have it welded some time soon. Maybe I'll convince myself to install the RHFCs while they are at it.
The following users liked this post:
heedtheninja67 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 10:11 AM
heedtheninja67
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RobC7
I installed it on my sedan about 2 months ago and unfortunately I have the dreaded leak at the slip joint. When I read reviews I assumed it was user error but seems like it's nearly impossible to get rid of. I will be taking it to a shop to have it welded some time soon. Maybe I'll convince myself to install the RHFCs while they are at it.
Oh dang that sucks. Did you use RTV on the slip joint? I just talked to someone that had it installed for almost a year on their Z and they didn't have any issues. I ended up getting impatient and bought it last night since it's relatively cheap so we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-28-2024, 03:17 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by heedtheninja67
Oh dang that sucks. Did you use RTV on the slip joint? I just talked to someone that had it installed for almost a year on their Z and they didn't have any issues. I ended up getting impatient and bought it last night since it's relatively cheap so we'll see how it goes.
So how did it go?
Old 07-28-2024, 03:33 PM
heedtheninja67
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mummy2
So how did it go?
It went well actually. Used the copper type RTV and didn’t have any exhaust leaks, noise, or fitment issues aside from having to slightly bend a heat shield up. The sound is slightly deeper which helps with the rasp at 3k… or at least in my head it does. Hoping the ECU can adjust to give me an extra 2 hp!

Side note - the bolts Z1 uses are 16mm and the rest of the OEM bolts are 14mm
The following users liked this post:
mummy2 (07-28-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 03:39 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by heedtheninja67
It went well actually. Used the copper type RTV and didn’t have any exhaust leaks, noise, or fitment issues aside from having to slightly bend a heat shield up. The sound is slightly deeper which helps with the rasp at 3k… or at least in my head it does. Hoping the ECU can adjust to give me an extra 2 hp!

Side note - the bolts Z1 uses are 16mm and the rest of the OEM bolts are 14mm
My h pipe has exhaust leaks and I was gonna have the shop just patch them up but ended up buying this this morning. Couldn't find a aftermarket h pipe sold separately anywhere that didn't require you to buy a whole exhaust.