Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds - Good or Mediocre?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020 | 03:48 PM
xKoLx
Registered Member

Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds - Good or Mediocre?

Hey guys I’ve come across a port job for the upper and lower plenums that’s somewhat local to me and would be beneficial for downtime and also not having to wait on shipping. However, I wanted to get anyone’s feedback on whether or not this looks like a good job in comparison to Z1’s port job before I waste money and don’t get the gains I’m hoping for. Any feedback if you have experience with these parts or just general machine work would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7832.MOV (2.01 MB, 55 views)
Old 06-04-2020 | 10:38 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

I'd personally skip it and invest in other mods from what I've seen over the years.

Moncef has tuned 1000's of cars and has a very good understanding of what bolt ons perform the best and ones that you should skip (like bigger TB's, ported plenums).
Old 06-04-2020 | 11:53 AM
xKoLx
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
I'd personally skip it and invest in other mods from what I've seen over the years.

Moncef has tuned 1000's of cars and has a very good understanding of what bolt ons perform the best and ones that you should skip (like bigger TB's, ported plenums).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt5E7hz7TI4&t=1s
Yea I've been following AdminTuning for some time now and am fairly aware of the baseline gains with upgrading the most restrictive features. It seems as though 330whp is the average on pump with these changes, but I'm hoping to break the 350whp threshold on E85. Through extensive research it's hard to decipher the key to the rest of the bolt-on combo to achieve this. I've noticed it may be a combination of things with small gains that unfortunately cost a pretty penny. The few setups that I have come across seem to include a well rounded package inclusive of bored TB's, ported plenums, large injectors among other things. Curious to hear from anyone on here breaking that threshold and what their setup is.
Old 06-05-2020 | 04:45 AM
Birdie
Registered Member

Porting looks good. Maybe a little more off the upper manifold.behind throttle body inlet.round it off more IMO.
I have not surpassed that but I did meet it.
350whp 281 torque
gtr injectors
340 fuel pump
drop in filters
ported upper and lower manifold
z1 headers +hfc
invidia cb
flex fuel kit. Was done on mix about e-60
Old 06-05-2020 | 10:56 AM
xKoLx
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Birdie
Porting looks good. Maybe a little more off the upper manifold.behind throttle body inlet.round it off more IMO.
350whp 281 torque
gtr injectors
340 fuel pump
drop in filters
z1 headers +hfc
invidia cb
Hey Birdie thanks for the insight. I've come across a lot of conflicting ideas on headers, especially the LTH v shorty debate and was wondering what leaned you towards z1 and HFCs as opposed to LTHs when the cost is fairly similar? Also, I've been looking into the flex fuel kit and was wondering if you can elaborate on how that works in comparison to getting multiple maps and what the benefits and downfalls are? If I'm not mistaken it allows for both fuels to exist at once and I see that mixture lowered the content of E85 for you, so did that also affect your peak gains? Also, who did your tune if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-05-2020 | 01:58 PM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by Birdie
350whp 281 torque
gtr injectors
340 fuel pump
drop in filters
z1 headers +hfc
invidia cb
So stock boxes with after maf pipes and KN filters or just filters on stock boxes and tubes?
If so that is ****ing amazing. Proves my theory that intake wise the OEM boxes flow pretty well. Im pretty sure the Q50 3.7 boxes would have made more.
Old 06-05-2020 | 02:43 PM
Birdie
Registered Member

I actually went with the AFE power drop in filters do to the fact that they are dry filters. I guess any good dry filters would work. And yea I have the short silicone tubes above the air boxes.
Old 06-05-2020 | 03:19 PM
Birdie
Registered Member

The only reason I went with z1 is because I get to keep the cats. I didn’t want to have a loud car with rasp,in my opinion mine sounds amazing and I don’t get unwanted attention.yes I’m sure I could of made more power with a cat delete but not worth the extra noise for me.
In my opinion there is no downfall in a e-85 kit when comparing it to the maps. ECUTEK comes with 5.Most people runerformance,flame,e-85,valet,and anti thief.
I only run 4 since I have the FFK which is great because I don’t have to wait till my fuel is nearly empty to switch between maps 93 or e85 which sounds like a pain in the ....
When I got my tune I went it with a 1/4 of gas. First run was 316 I believe , they made adjustments it began to go up.When he was done tuning on 93 in added about 4 gallons of E-85 made more power then added about 4 more gallons of E85. He has to do several mixtures so the ecu can self tune with the E85. I asked if he was was going to do 100% E85 which he said no the ECU will now do the adjustments on its on ,just to fill with E85 from now on. So maybe I am alittle higher on peak number to answer your question, the tuner said there is not much more to be had after about e-60 mixture maybe a few more ponies. I just know the car pulls great.bonus is when going out of town, I don’t have to worry about e-85stations I just pump 93 . When I get back home back to E85,I don’t have to wait for low fuel lvs to switch maps .just pump and go. JMS Racing our of San Antonio (jorge Ramos)
Old 06-08-2020 | 09:36 AM
BULL
Moderador

Admin tuning uploaded a vid of his Fiancee Q50 on E making 351whp on stock boxes also.

I am a firm believer in the box design/ material in comparison to metal. In theory a bigger plastic box should yield better results.

The lack of data we see here is bigger than stock boxes, the Q50 boxes appear to have a better design however they feed through the center portion of the front instead of the corners like the G.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020 | 11:50 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

BULL - crazy the numbers he got with stock intakes on Bre Ann's car.
Old 06-10-2020 | 09:42 AM
BULL
Moderador

BULL - crazy the numbers he got with stock intakes on Bre Ann's car.
Very. To tell you the truth it's even exciting as it reiterates that cylindrical one size tube relies heavily on location and entry- it's why adding velocity stacks to intakes without adds power as it increases velocity.

HR manifolds on VHR prove that the engine benefits from midrange from the added volume however they end up peaking the same as they go up in RPM.

It becomes a hell of a maze trying to figure out the best combo as this car has proven that bigger is not always better.

The Q50 has a very special intake path/design which uses the rad support cover to channel air from that huge grill and into smoother than V36 air boxes and down into less than 3 inch hole, added velocity with the proper VTC and VVEL tuning and you can tailor the map to your liking.

At the end we are seeing peak and if peak is your main concern you need as much velocity as you can possibly get.

A setup that I believe in theory will do wonderful is HR manifold swap with Q50 or similar style box. To achieve the most from this setup it would be ideal to hack the radiator support like you would with 3 in intakes but instead place some flexible piping to force ALL of it to the box.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020 | 05:44 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Well said BULL, some good info there. If my motor ever goes, I'm definitely swapping in one of the newer VQ37VHR motors. Was it the '14+ models that had them?
Old 06-11-2020 | 07:38 PM
BULL
Moderador

Well said BULL, some good info there. If my motor ever goes, I'm definitely swapping in one of the newer VQ37VHR motors. Was it the '14+ models that had them?
Any engine from a Q50 that has air boxes.