Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Cutting Open the Muffler...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:42 AM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Cutting Open the Muffler...

Folks.

I've several different exhausts, dont like ANY of them b/c they change the "tone" of the G37 coupe exhaust. My only goal is to turn the volume up on the exhaust and KEEP the exhaust tone as-is.

I came across this article from a few years back. I have a friend who has a welder so cutting it out and welding it back is not a big deal. Its a no-cost option that wont be much of a risk.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...d-the-can.html

Curios if anyone has attempted to try this exhaust mod?

Obviously I'll be doing things "in balance" so that the exhaust is not out of balance by making a mod on one side and not the same mod on the other side of the exhaust.

But my 2 thoughts would be to: 1) cut out the "J-shaped" sections of the muffler and/or 2) perforate the small thin tube at the bottom.

Curious what others would think and what would you try?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Mattyem
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
What about just choppin off the mufflers and straight pipe it? You can disconnect the mufflers with 1 bolt on each side to see how you like the sound first too.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:55 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Been there done that. Would attract too many neighbors complaints and blue/white lights b/c its too loud. I've tried it but its too loud. Wife would never ride in my car again (nor would I )

Only option I'm interested (for now) is this option. Want to see if anyone has done or thought of anything similar.

Originally Posted by Mattyem
What about just choppin off the mufflers and straight pipe it? You can disconnect the mufflers with 1 bolt on each side to see how you like the sound first too.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Mattyem
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Gotchya!
Old 10-24-2016, 03:17 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

So I found this post on the 370Z forum. What is interesting is the cross-pipe he fabricated that eliminates the drone from his end.

Fancy Tech: How to Get Rid of Exhaust Drone, works great! - Nissan 370Z Forum

So that leads me to believe that its best to leave alone the small-cross pipe on the end/bottom that is shown in the picture. I'm guessing that cross-pipe is a possible source of eliminating any drone from the stock muffler on the G37. So that may make me not want to try option #2.