Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Quick question guys about an intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Pinchepaco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question guys about an intake

So I need help finding an intake for 2011 g37 coupe, that is trusted and has best bang for my buck
Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinchepaco
So I need help finding an intake for 2011 g37 coupe, that is trusted and has best bang for my buck
I like the look of the takeda cold air. I had injen cold air on my nismo. Very well designed and perfect fit
Old 05-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Jeebus

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
R2C intake is the best looking imo, great sounding too. But there are better ones that are beneficial to the car as far as performance.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:17 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

I too like r2c but best performers are cold air or oem. Unless its cold air it wont out perform oem and will be subject to heat soak. Itll look cool and sound cool but yields are nil.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Pinchepaco

I want cold air for performance I just need one that's a proven by others cuz I'm not trying to waste my money
Old 05-02-2016, 10:26 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

They all cold air make power. Theyre all the same design a pipe with a filter. Pick one and be merry
Old 05-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Pinchepaco

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
They all cold air make power. Theyre all the same design a pipe with a filter. Pick one and be merry
Fair enough
Old 05-02-2016, 10:39 PM
AzNBoY92

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
Had the R2C at first and loved it best looking if looking in engine bay, but I now have Takeda Long Tube and love it even more not quite as good looking in engine bay but that look through grill is mean. Performance wise and better for your vehicle I would go with the Takeda just cause not pulling air straight from engine bay like the R2C would be doing.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:11 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
I've been contemplating which intake I will end up going with, the cliffs notes version of the big 3 CAI's look like this:

Takeda- probably one of the most popular, design puts the filter in front of the grill, rain guard is an added recommended expense but not necessarily required. Some question the single filter design and spend extra on dual filters (K&N, AFE, etc.) and cite some improvement both in sound and from the "butt dyno". (This is prob. what I will do eventually)

Injen- Good company that makes quality intakes. Design puts the filters lower leading some to be concerned that it may suck water more easily. You can add filter guards or air bypass as added expense. Injen offers polished or black colors.

Stillen- Well known in the Nissan/Infiniti community, requires some light modification to fit properly, dual filters placed behind the grill.

At the end of the day the reality is we're not gaining much hp at all from adding a intake as the VQ motor is designed well, nearly to its potential, and short of forced induction you won't add much. So it seems most would say that an intake is an expensive way to look nice or sound cool rather than as a significant performance boost.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by KidJai06
At the end of the day the reality is we're not gaining much hp at all from adding a intake as the VQ motor is designed well, nearly to its potential, and short of forced induction you won't add much. So it seems most would say that an intake is an expensive way to look nice or sound cool rather than as a significant performance boost.
Agreed ^^

R2C and Takeda both claim approximately the same HP gains...(all intakes claim unrealistic gains no matter what car you own) so does anyone have factual before and after dyno comparisons? All variables held constant? I am guessing unless you track the car and heat the heck out of the engine bay they are probably equivalent in power production...which is minimal in either case.

Last edited by G37sGraphite; 05-02-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
You'd be better off putting that money into high flows where you'll actually get some gains
The following users liked this post:
KAHBOOM (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 12:59 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Is there a different model for the coupe & sedan or are they interchangeable?
Old 05-03-2016, 01:05 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Do a search here,
There is a thread with dyno tests of a R2C vs a SG3.
It's a good read and includes metrics on performance, and actual measurements of cold air intake.
Long story short, the R2C had very similar HP gains, and at a lower RPM...in a band more likely used on the street.

At least that's what the author posted.

IMO with the filter box mated against the hood and radiator baffle, the air largely comes from the same intake vent through the baffle.
Unless someone can show the CFM largely exceeds what the OEM intake port can deliver I see no reason to expect heat soak to be a concern.
For that, it would have to draw air fast enough to overwhelm the normal intake and create enough suction to defeat the hood and baffle seal.

Looking at the intake and dyno numbers I say probably not.

So I won't bother with a G3 to avoid cutting my radiator baffle, and so I don't have to remove the Front compartment cover to change filters.

No big deal either way, just a preference for me.
The following users liked this post:
G37sGraphite (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 PM
bigmike35nj

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I just purchased aam intake for the g37. You do have to cut tho. I'll let you know how it is when I install it this weekend. I don't think anyone on here has it yet
Old 05-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Brian6t5
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Throw away or Washable Filters

I take it that all of the kits have a (K&N style)washable filter or is there any with a regular disposable filter? Not a fan of cleaning and lubing filters and would just rather chuck it and replace.

Quick Reply: Quick question guys about an intake