Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Quick question guys about an intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Team_STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
My how the salty have taken over this forum. It was not long ago that everyone recognized that some intakes do make better power than others. Maybe everyone expects to have 50whp gains for $500...but to say that intakes make no power and telling people not to bother is quite absurd.

If you are looking to do a couple bolt ons and have fun with the car an Intake and Exhaust are awesome upgrades (especially if you don't want to tune the car). I think we can all agree that Test Pipes/High Flow Cats are one of the best gains for the VQ37...but for most that requires a tune (add $500+), raspier exhaust note, and not smog legal (not always an issue).

There are several great options when it comes to intakes and plenty of 3rd party dyno sheets floating around the forums to prove good gains with no tuning and many smog legal. 15-20 whp gains are very realistic.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:58 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
A lot of people were installing RC2s in 08 when the G37 first came out. It was all the hype because folks did not know better at the time. Most people who installed them took them off. Heat soak was quite apparent in daily driving- especially in the summer. Gains reported from them were essentially nil.
The CAIs became the way to go for an intake mod. Most people report gains.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Broski28
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
I currently have a Status Elite Velocity intake and love it. They are very hard to find though, production was limited to 22.

I have Stillen Gen 3's on my 370z and those are awesome as well. A little more timely and DIY to install but worth it in the long run.

Personally I would stay away from Injen. I had them for a few months and any time it would rain they sucked in water and put my car into "Limp mode". I read similar stories from other members as well.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:12 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian6t5
I take it that all of the kits have a (K&N style)washable filter or is there any with a regular disposable filter? Not a fan of cleaning and lubing filters and would just rather chuck it and replace.
Not all filters require oiling, Takeda for example uses AFE filters which are dry. They still require cleaning but that is just blowing out the dust/debris. If you're looking at simply tossing the filters and putting in new ones at regular intervals then stick with the OEM setup.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Team_STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brian6t5
I take it that all of the kits have a (K&N style)washable filter or is there any with a regular disposable filter? Not a fan of cleaning and lubing filters and would just rather chuck it and replace.
The STILLEN Gen 3's are also available with AEM Dry Flow Filters.

https://www.stillen.com/performance/...initi-g37.html
Old 05-03-2016, 05:38 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
A lot of people were installing RC2s in 08 when the G37 first came out. It was all the hype because folks did not know better at the time. Most people who installed them took them off. Heat soak was quite apparent in daily driving- especially in the summer. Gains reported from them were essentially nil.
The CAIs became the way to go for an intake mod. Most people report gains.
How was heat soak apparent in daily driving? Was there tests done to confirm greater heat soak in the R2C vs CAI in normal driving conditions? Where can I read about the daily driving heat soak test? Dyno comparisons between the CAI and the R2C during said heat soak daily driven comparisons? ....nope nothing...I can see how hard driven comparisons on the track could make a difference, where heat is a major factor ...but daily driven, street racing, in 95% of the driving done on the car and on this forum? No, such comparisons appear to be just butt dyno extrapolations...

Heck I am not saying I am right, just want to see proof. I do know that this came up in a different car I had, and the difference was minimal at best regarding the differences in a non track used car.

Last edited by G37sGraphite; 05-03-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by bikezilla
Do a search here,
There is a thread with dyno tests of a R2C vs a SG3.
It's a good read and includes metrics on performance, and actual measurements of cold air intake.
Long story short, the R2C had very similar HP gains, and at a lower RPM...in a band more likely used on the street.

At least that's what the author posted.

IMO with the filter box mated against the hood and radiator baffle, the air largely comes from the same intake vent through the baffle.
Unless someone can show the CFM largely exceeds what the OEM intake port can deliver I see no reason to expect heat soak to be a concern.
For that, it would have to draw air fast enough to overwhelm the normal intake and create enough suction to defeat the hood and baffle seal.

Looking at the intake and dyno numbers I say probably not.

So I won't bother with a G3 to avoid cutting my radiator baffle, and so I don't have to remove the Front compartment cover to change filters.

No big deal either way, just a preference for me.
Agreed ^^
Old 05-03-2016, 05:50 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Team_STILLEN
The STILLEN Gen 3's are also available with AEM Dry Flow Filters.

https://www.stillen.com/performance/...initi-g37.html
When I click on this link I get a virus warning from both browsers I have on my desktop.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:58 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
How was heat soak apparent in daily driving? Was there tests done to confirm greater heat soak in the R2C vs CAI in normal driving conditions? Where can I read about the daily driving heat soak test? Dyno comparisons between the CAI and the R2C during said heat soak daily driven comparisons? ....nope nothing...I can see hard driven comparisons on the track where heat is a major factor ...but daily driven, street racing, in 95% of the driving done on the car and on this forum? No such comparisons just butt dyno extrapolations...

Heck I am not saying I am right, just want to see proof. I do know that this came up in a different car I had, and the difference was minimal at best regarding the differences in a non track used car.
I was thinking the same thing, but I'm typing on my phone at the moment.

Lots of posts like:"I heard shorties be makin pepelz carz burn up like Tesslaz wit battery problemz"

Funny how someone can say "Heat Soak" and it's a stone cold fact, say horsepower and it don't mean a thing without a dyno.

I'm not saying HS does not exist, but without quantifying it, without qualifying it for different designs, filters, isolation boxes, temperatures, driving conditions... It's just talk.

It op in the comparison thread had numbers.
Why should that count less than butt dynos and beer analysis?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:00 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
One other filter option,
R2C has military spec dry filters. No oil to mess with your MAF...if that is a thing.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Team_STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GeezerB
When I click on this link I get a virus warning from both browsers I have on my desktop.
For some reason some anti virus software is doing that. We have checked with our host and they say it is a coding issue. We are working on it. It is safe if you want to disable it for the STILLEN Website.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:35 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Team_STILLEN
There are several great options when it comes to intakes and plenty of 3rd party dyno sheets floating around the forums to prove good gains with no tuning and many smog legal. 15-20 whp gains are very realistic.
Do you have a dyno sheet on the g37? I was looking around a little online and found one from the g35 and the reality looked liked the 15 hp gains touted were starting at about 6500 rpm until about 7200 rpm, which seems like a very narrow area of gain which in DD speak would mean little to no improvement in any real meaningful way. This isn't to say that this isn't true of most or all intakes, give or take a few hp, rather that the general discussion of this thread was that intakes on the whole probably aren't the power adder one might think.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinchepaco
So I need help finding an intake for 2011 g37 coupe, that is trusted and has best bang for my buck
Stock is the best tried and true intake there is.

Why pay $500 for a shiny piece of metal tubing that could potentially hydrolock you motor?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
How was heat soak apparent in daily driving? Was there tests done to confirm greater heat soak in the R2C vs CAI in normal driving conditions? Where can I read about the daily driving heat soak test? Dyno comparisons between the CAI and the R2C during said heat soak daily driven comparisons? ....nope nothing...I can see how hard driven comparisons on the track could make a difference, where heat is a major factor ...but daily driven, street racing, in 95% of the driving done on the car and on this forum? No, such comparisons appear to be just butt dyno extrapolations...

Where is your heat soak test showing that there is no heat soak?? Searching.. nope nothing..(see how this works?)

When I had R2cs the metal on the tubes retained more heat than the plastic OEM tubes. (sorry no tests) When taking off from extended idle or stop and go traffic there was a clear reduction in initial power delivery. Others on the forum shared similar experiences.

You don't have take anyone's word for it. Your mind is already made up. So just buy them for yourself and enjoy.
You can then compare and dyno then report back to the forums to counter my assessment.
I dont sell CAI or a competitor of RC2s so I have nothing to "prove" and am not incline to test or search for tests to provide you with the "proof" that you desire nor did I promise you such proof. I dont care if you decide to buy or not to buy them. Simply- there is a lot of valuable information on this forum from individuals who have experienced and reviewed many mods without "tests". You can chose to A) take the information with a grain of salt, B) ignore it completely c) Buy and test for yourself and offer the contribution that you so urgently are seeking as "proof".

For the benefit of others who want to hear the opinion of those of us who have installed short-ram intakes including R2Cs; Many who "drive daily" can easily discern heat soak from these cars (apparently some can't)- without being on a track- especially those living in hotter climates. If you can't then perhaps the RC2Cs are indeed the intake for you.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Eyeshield25

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
^^
I have the R2C and it is a superb intake for daily driving. On hot days the car is FOR SURE more sluggish to me no doubt because the intake is sucking up hot air from the outside and inside the engine compartment, which makes it noticeable. On cold days, there is DEFINITELY more torque from low to mid range and it pulls nicely all the way to about 7k for sure. The growl is definitely eargasmic so that's a plus

Honestly R2C/Stillen/Takeda will do the job just fine unless all you do is tell people you got 5whp more than they do.

Quick Reply: Quick question guys about an intake