Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Part number needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:00 PM
McStealth
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part number needed

I discovered a broken part, which I am having trouble identifying online. It is connected to the left hand air intake hoses, right side if you are looking down at the engine. I think it is some kind of crankcase breather, and it looks like a small master cylinder but I know it is not a fluid holder. The neck attached by clamps to the intake has broke off the body of the part itself. The part is not the resonator. The broken part sits right next to the oil fill cap and the resonator snakes off lower and below the snorkel.

Looking at the infinity web site, I can find the drawing, but not the part number.

Anyone know what it is called and where I can get one (without having to buy the whole assembly)

Thanks
David

Last edited by McStealth; 04-30-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
A picture would help us get a better understanding of the piece you're talking about.
The following users liked this post:
McStealth (04-29-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 10:18 PM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
take a picture and circle what part you need it kinda hard to determine what you need. (dammit Kenny you beat me to it.)

you can go to your local junk yard to get it cheap.
McStealth (04-29-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 10:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Sounds like it's the intake resonator chamber, they are a funky looking part for sure, this is one on ebay for the passenger side
08 14 Infiniti G37 Right Air Cleaner Intake Airbox Resonator 370Z Q60 | eBay

And the whole set

08 13 Infiniti G37 Coupe Left Right Side Air Cleaner Box Rear Duct Set | eBay
McStealth (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 AM
McStealth
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Sounds like it's the intake resonator chamber, they are a funky looking part for sure, this is one on ebay for the passenger side
08 14 Infiniti G37 Right Air Cleaner Intake Airbox Resonator 370Z Q60 | eBay

And the whole set

08 13 Infiniti G37 Coupe Left Right Side Air Cleaner Box Rear Duct Set | eBay

The passenger side is different than the drivers side but I think they are both do the same function. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow. I need drivers side. Looking at those pictures, I guess it is the one on the left though I wish I could see the top so I could be sure.

Here is the million dollar question. I am leaving on a long road trip on Saturday. If I can't get to a parts yard, and I don't find a parts house with one, TOMMORROW, do you guys think I can drive without too moch fear of harming the engine?

Thanks for your thoughts.
David

Last edited by McStealth; 04-29-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:28 AM
McStealth
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kennyz424
A picture would help us get a better understanding of the piece you're talking about.

If you go midway up the intake tube, can't miss it, turning left into the engine. Held on by two clamps, one on top, one on the bottom.

thanks for the quick replays
David
Old 04-29-2016, 12:43 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by McStealth
The passenger side is different than the drivers side but I think they are both do the same function. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow. I need drivers side. Looking at those pictures, I guess it is the one on the left though I wish I could see the top so I could be sure.

Here is the million dollar question. I am leaving on a long road trip on Saturday. If I can't get to a parts yard, and I don't find a parts house with one, TOMMORROW, do you guys think I can drive without too moch fear of harming the engine?

Thanks for your thoughts.
David
AFAIK the only purpose for those chambers is to soften the intake sound, removing some of the frequency spikes in the rpm range. You could cap them off and never use them again I believe.
McStealth (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
AFAIK the only purpose for those chambers is to soften the intake sound, removing some of the frequency spikes in the rpm range. You could cap them off and never use them again I believe.
Absolutely true. They are on both sides and are actually pretty huge and cumbersome. You can absolutely cap them and listen to the motor a bit more, the slight changes in the intake velocity will be accounted for after a bit of driving and you will never notice.
McStealth (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 06:58 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris9884
Absolutely true. They are on both sides and are actually pretty huge and cumbersome. You can absolutely cap them and listen to the motor a bit more, the slight changes in the intake velocity will be accounted for after a bit of driving and you will never notice.
TRUTH ^ When I installed my R2C intake the grandma ear muffs were removed and the engine could then sing! So go buy a intake OP so you dont have to buy that part!!
McStealth (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:44 PM
McStealth
Registered Member

Guys thank you very much. I was really sweating possible problems with plugging or not plugging both holes. . Didn't mean to be vulgar.

David
Old 04-30-2016, 12:03 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
I'm glad you got it figured out man! That's what the forum and all of us are here for, to help out others when they come across an issue.

Last edited by kennyz424; 04-30-2016 at 04:36 PM.
McStealth (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 05:45 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by McStealth
The neck attached by clamps to the intake has broke off the body of the part itself.
as mentioned above, its just a resonator that quiets down the intake noise - i remember on the Subaru forums it was common to remove them to get that rac3cAr sound.

is it possible to superglue/epoxy/Gorilla tape it, so it is functional? its not critical, and its not really visible in the engine bay, so i would try to repair it if you can.
McStealth (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 04:29 PM
McStealth
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
as mentioned above, its just a resonator that quiets down the intake noise - i remember on the Subaru forums it was common to remove them to get that rac3cAr sound.

is it possible to superglue/epoxy/Gorilla tape it, so it is functional? its not critical, and its not really visible in the engine bay, so i would try to repair it if you can.
It is a clean break right off of the body of the resonator. No lip left at all. The whole neck is inside the rubber offshoot of the snorkel' still clamped in. It probably could be glued as is a clean break, providing I can get it out of the tube without damaging it further.

There are a couple of parts yards in San Antonio that has a couple of these cars. I will go check and see if I can get one from them. I will tape over the holes for this trip though.

Thanks
David
Old 04-30-2016, 09:17 PM
McStealth
Registered Member

Okay. It is not the resonator in the pictures. It is the plastic part that sits right next to the oil fill cap. It looks like a small master cylinder off a motorcycle. Directly next to the oil fill cap.

Can I still tape over whatever that is??????

Help
David
Old 04-30-2016, 09:17 PM
McStealth
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Landshark

Okay. It is not the resonator in the pictures. It is the plastic part that sits right next to the oil fill cap. It looks like a small master cylinder off a motorcycle. Directly next to the oil fill cap.

Can I still tape over whatever that is??????

Help
David

Quick Reply: Part number needed