Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:59 PM
Tuguacshayan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Tube Headers

Does anyone have Long Tube headers for their g37?? I would like to know what they sound like
Old 04-21-2016, 09:51 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Just go youtube and search g37 headers. There should be a lot with diff combos.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:38 PM
Bill Whitlock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of doing the Fast Intentions long tube headers myself on my convertible. I'm sure they'll sound great, I'm more concerned with the following:

1. Any design problems? e.g. one member said he installed the FI resonated HFCs on his IPL G37 and said they were needing extra hangers that weren't included in his kit. He also said the O2 sensors needed to be fit up differently.

2. Any new vibrations, rattles, etc?

3. Any problems passing emissions? I live in Texas, not worried about California.

4. How much power do they *really* add? I know what FI claims, but we all know how that goes.

5. Is a retune necessary? Bit of a newb question probably, but alas, I am a newb lol. Modding my G37 is my first project car. I'm stoked!

I put on the Stillen CAI and Stillen CBE yesterday. Pretty happy so far...
Old 08-24-2016, 07:08 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by bill whitlock
thinking of doing the fast intentions long tube headers myself on my convertible. I'm sure they'll sound great, i'm more concerned with the following:

1. Any design problems? E.g. One member said he installed the fi resonated hfcs on his ipl g37 and said they were needing extra hangers that weren't included in his kit. He also said the o2 sensors needed to be fit up differently.

yeah, the high flow cats and test pipes are much lighter than the oem cats and don't need to use the hangers if you don't want to. If you're picky, have a shop weld them on, they look like a thick metal coat hanger, prolly cost ya $10 a piece..

almost guaranteed some form of vibrations. If you're getting long tube headers and worried about a little more vibrations, you're in it for the wrong reasons.

3. Any problems passing emissions? I live in texas, not worried about california.

long tube's completely remove catalytic converters, you will not pass smog, emissions or a visual.

4. How much power do they *really* add? I know what fi claims, but we all know how that goes.

just as you said, we have heard claims but check on some of the dyno videos on youtube and form your own opinion.

5. Is a retune necessary? Bit of a newb question probably, but alas, i am a newb lol. Modding my g37 is my first project car. I'm stoked!

required? No, the car will run and drive. Highly highly recommended? Absolutely. Especially since you already have i/e, the a/f will be so far off anything could happen. Its time for a tune man.

i put on the stillen cai and stillen cbe yesterday. Pretty happy so far...

Newbs
Old 08-24-2016, 07:53 PM
Invaderzim
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Anybody fit them on an awd coupe yet?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:15 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Whitlock
Thinking of doing the Fast Intentions long tube headers myself on my convertible. I'm sure they'll sound great, I'm more concerned with the following:

1. Any design problems? e.g. one member said he installed the FI resonated HFCs on his IPL G37 and said they were needing extra hangers that weren't included in his kit. He also said the O2 sensors needed to be fit up differently.

3. Any problems passing emissions? I live in Texas, not worried about California.

4. How much power do they *really* add? I know what FI claims, but we all know how that goes.

5. Is a retune necessary? Bit of a newb question probably, but alas, I am a newb lol. Modding my G37 is my first project car. I'm stoked!

Looking at the design, there are no extra brackets so I would assume you'll get the same vibration at idle as their high flow cats or test pipes. They probably weigh a good deal less than the stock header/high flow cat combo so there's some benefits there.

Looking at the installed images on the FI website, it looks like it requires elongating the wiring harness on the 02 sensors. No biggie. With the resonated high flow cats, they're "fine" but they move the 02's just far enough you can't reuse the stock wiring harness bracket. Also, if one were to weld up some brackets on the RHFC's, and use the OEM bracket to underbody, one of my 02 bungs would hit the tip of the OEM bracket. Again, either bend the bracket a bit or as one guy did, cut the ends off.

I can't remember off hand but people have had pretty good gains with them but it would necessitate a tune, in my experience with aftermarket parts, to really take advantage of them.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:13 AM
reNeglect

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Whitlock

First from what i am aware of, the OEM headers are unequal length which helps contribute to the VQ pur.

Next, the mount of time and money needed for LTH, just get test pipes and call it a day. You want to drop some cash and get real gains? Looking Jim Wolf Cams or a new final drive diff.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:18 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Looking at the design, there are no extra brackets so I would assume you'll get the same vibration at idle as their high flow cats or test pipes. They probably weigh a good deal less than the stock header/high flow cat combo so there's some benefits there.

Looking at the installed images on the FI website, it looks like it requires elongating the wiring harness on the 02 sensors. No biggie. With the resonated high flow cats, they're "fine" but they move the 02's just far enough you can't reuse the stock wiring harness bracket. Also, if one were to weld up some brackets on the RHFC's, and use the OEM bracket to underbody, one of my 02 bungs would hit the tip of the OEM bracket. Again, either bend the bracket a bit or as one guy did, cut the ends off.

I can't remember off hand but people have had pretty good gains with them but it would necessitate a tune, in my experience with aftermarket parts, to really take advantage of them.

I have FI test pipes and do not have any extra vibrations. I don't recall any unused brackets, ether on the car or test pipes. And for the 02 sensors I don't think they are elongated. To be fair I got the pipes second hand, and we traded 02 sensors to save time. Just my experience! No CEL though!
Old 08-25-2016, 10:32 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

You should have the original cat converter to transmission bracket that goes unused, at least according to the photos on FI's site. There weren't any brackets on your FI headers, correct? If not, then they wouldn't have any way to attach to the OEM bracket. Your installer may have removed the OEM bracket which bolts to the tranny. Sort of looked like a boomerang. See arrows.
Name:  bracket_zps3ib8mxt0.jpg
Views: 5275
Size:  21.0 KB

That's where it attaches to the stock catalytic converters. On the FI RHFC's, there's no bracket on the cats to attach to the OEM bracket. Same with the FI long tube headers. I'm surprised there's no additional vibration. I only get the extra vibration at idle, nowhere else.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:25 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
I know Invidia TP's utilize the bracket.

Last edited by Kris9884; 08-26-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Z1 and Berk both have attached brackets that fit up to the OEM bracket in that photo.