Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Question about catalytic converters!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:32 PM
AndyG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about catalytic converters!

I live in Califonia and have a 2011 G37 sedan. One of my cats is falling apart inside and making an awful noise.

Now I am debating replacing with OEM or going with HFC's. My question is there any differences between California cats and the rest of the United States?

I see cats for 3-400 bucks but don't ship to CA. If I go through Infiniti they are $800 each I might just buy HFC not sure yet.

I am curious if all OEM cats for this car will pass California smog or are the oem cats in California different?
Old 04-21-2016, 02:34 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
My cat is broken inside as well and makes bad noises I've just decided to leave it.

All the cats are the same, it's just that California has stupid laws about stuff
The following users liked this post:
TannerG (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 04:00 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyG37
I live in Califonia and have a 2011 G37 sedan. One of my cats is falling apart inside and making an awful noise.

Now I am debating replacing with OEM or going with HFC's. My question is there any differences between California cats and the rest of the United States?

I see cats for 3-400 bucks but don't ship to CA. If I go through Infiniti they are $800 each I might just buy HFC not sure yet.

I am curious if all OEM cats for this car will pass California smog or are the oem cats in California different?
If you still have warranty, the dealership will replace them for you free of charge. Emissions devices are covered under the powertrain.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:00 PM
AndyG37

Originally Posted by iCrap
My cat is broken inside as well and makes bad noises I've just decided to leave it.

All the cats are the same, it's just that California has stupid laws about stuff
I have thought about leaving it but its to nice of a car to be making unwanted noise! Thanks for confirming my question and yes California laws are annoying haha

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
If you still have warranty, the dealership will replace them for you free of charge. Emissions devices are covered under the powertrain.
I looked into the warranty - which was 8yr/80k.. I have 85k on the car imagine that!
Old 04-21-2016, 07:14 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
CA doesn't do a sniffer test if your car is 2000 model year and newer. as long as you dont have any cel you will pass smog. you can run a hfc as long as you don't throw a cel.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:25 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
california is a communist state. there is no difference in bolt on catalytic converters built by the manufacturer versus aftermarket bolt on catalytic converters. the reason it wont get shipped for sale in california is the aftermarket company did not pay the tax stamp logo for the bolt on catalytic converter to be sold in california. its no different than the stupid tax stamp sticker on cigarettes sold in california. its unfortunate in such a great state we have moron politicians that make stupid laws and need every dime in taxes because this state supports every low life piece of garbage from every third world country.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:05 AM
greco65
Premier Member

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyG37

Go around the system. If you have a friend/family outside California have them ship the CATS there and they will ship them the CATS to you. In that case you have your cake and eat it too. You may pay couple bucks extra for shipping but you will save a lot more.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:23 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap

This is bad, BTW it will cause or could cause a clog in the system and back up the exhaust gases. Or just get stuck in the muffler, ruin that and do the same thing :/. Get it replaced don't leave it.

I've read stories about cat particles being pulled back in the motor and cause engine damage also
Old 04-22-2016, 09:50 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
This is bad, BTW it will cause or could cause a clog in the system and back up the exhaust gases. Or just get stuck in the muffler, ruin that and do the same thing :/. Get it replaced don't leave it.

I've read stories about cat particles being pulled back in the motor and cause engine damage also
hmm yeah i probably should.

Maybe if a deal pops on HFCs ill just get that.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:07 PM
AndyG37

Originally Posted by greco65
Go around the system. If you have a friend/family outside California have them ship the CATS there and they will ship them the CATS to you. In that case you have your cake and eat it too. You may pay couple bucks extra for shipping but you will save a lot more.
I will probably end up doing this if I cant find anything cats used here on the forum. Thanks!

Originally Posted by conkus805
CA doesn't do a sniffer test if your car is 2000 model year and newer. as long as you dont have any cel you will pass smog. you can run a hfc as long as you don't throw a cel.
While they don't use a sniffer on the newer cars they still have to visually inspect the system. When they see aftermarket cats they will check for a CARB sticker (California air resource board) if its not there they are supposed to fail the car. It is possible to slip through the system but I'm not going to roll the dice...
Old 04-22-2016, 01:13 PM
q-style

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to thread jack but I'm having the same issue with my coupe. My question is will a 2013 370z cat fit my my 08 coupe? I'm thinking it will just wanted to dbl check with anyone whose done it before. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2016, 02:33 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Don't forget to recycle your convertors. Platinum and palladium in there!