Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Needing a little bit more sound out of my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:56 AM
jameslee79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needing a little bit more sound out of my exhaust

So first I had the x pipe installed. It improved the sound a tiny bit. It wasn't enough so I bought some borla pro xs mufflers and had the shop do a new piping from the resonators back to the mufflers with 2.5 piping. When they first installed the x pipe, I didn't know they enlarged the Y piping to 2.5 and from the x pipe back to the resonators as well so I basically have 2.5 piping all round with borla mufflers.

I guess the next step probably is get the berk hfcs but I heard those and sounds raspy. I was going to maybe delete the resonators and have a straight pipe with 2.5 piping but I'm afraid that would make it too loud. Right now, there is no drone when cruising but i'm willing to sacrifice some drone but I dont' want it too loud. The problem is the exhaust sounds is dead in the upper rpms.

Should I get some aftermarket resonators hoping it will sound louder than the stock ones? Any suggestions?

Here is the video btw

Old 02-10-2016, 02:46 PM
jameslee79

168 views and no replies?
Old 02-10-2016, 03:37 PM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Berks or V1 HFCs should do the trick. Sounds like you're on the right path. I bought mine used. Wouldn't change a thing.

Don't like the sound from the new cats? Sell them. Plenty of buyers. Minimal overall investment.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
You def need some more sound. Why don't you look at getting a full cat back exhaust.

There is a Fast Intentions has some great products that I'm a big fan of. I believe there is a used CBE on the classifieds now.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:10 PM
jameslee79

Originally Posted by Redfire32
You def need some more sound. Why don't you look at getting a full cat back exhaust.

There is a Fast Intentions has some great products that I'm a big fan of. I believe there is a used CBE on the classifieds now.
Technically I do have a full cat exhaust it's just that was custom work at a shop.
I still have my stock resonators in place though so I'm stuck between getting a hfc or delete the resonators and have a straight pipe. Couldn't find lot of videos with a custom or full cat back exhaust with deleted resonators.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:23 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's crazy quiet for all the work you've done.

I've heard the stock system with resonators deleted and it sounded awful. Very raspy.
(
)

I think the issue with your exhaust is your muffler are too quiet.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:56 PM
jameslee79

Originally Posted by slowbird
That's crazy quiet for all the work you've done.

I've heard the stock system with resonators deleted and it sounded awful. Very raspy.
(g37 resonator removed - YouTube)

I think the issue with your exhaust is your muffler are too quiet.
Maybe I'll get a resonated x pipe and delete the stock resonators or maybe jsut swap out the mufflers. I might just get a hfc but I read some mixed reviews about the cel coming on.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:54 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

Have you tried going without any mufflers?

With the work you've already done it might be too loud. I'm surprised how quiet my muffler delete is with the rest of the stock system but there is some DRONE. Even though most say there is no drone when going with the muffler delete there definitely is.

Maybe get rid of those Borla mufflers and get some "cherry bombs" mufflers or something more of a straight thru design?
Old 02-11-2016, 11:07 PM
jameslee79

Have you tried going without any mufflers?

With the work you've already done it might be too loud. I'm surprised how quiet my muffler delete is with the rest of the stock system but there is some DRONE. Even though most say there is no drone when going with the muffler delete there definitely is.

Maybe get rid of those Borla mufflers and get some "cherry bombs" mufflers or something more of a straight thru design?
The funny thing is I have the borla pro xs and it saids it's a straight thru design.

BORLA® ProXS? Mufflers
Old 02-11-2016, 11:14 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jameslee79
The funny thing is I have the borla pro xs and it saids it's a straight thru design.

BORLA® ProXS? Mufflers
Huh...well then I guess you need to start messing with the Resonators or the cats like you originally thought

Did you install a custom x-pipe? Any pics?
Old 02-11-2016, 11:27 PM
jameslee79

Huh...well then I guess you need to start messing with the Resonators or the cats like you originally thought

Did you install a custom x-pipe? Any pics?
The shop installed a x pipe similar to this. I believe it's non resonated. They enlarged the y piping as well to 2.5 inches. Then 2.5 inches again from the resonators back to the borla mufflers. This cost around $800 already lol.
I could have gotten berk hfc ($500) and top speed axle back ($300) for the same money and I could have gotten a better sound. Is there any universal mufflers that looks like top speed axle backs? I think the problem is the borla mufflers which is too quiet.

Amazon.com: Lawson Industries 66922 Stainless Steel Stamped X-Pipe: Automotive Amazon.com: Lawson Industries 66922 Stainless Steel Stamped X-Pipe: Automotive
Old 02-11-2016, 11:36 PM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Zero issue with cel from the Z1s. If, for some reason, it throws a code, there are cheap, plug and play cheats. But, I wouldn't worry about that unless the light is triggered.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:53 PM
jameslee79

So I guess it's between the top speed axle back or the hfcs. I'm like the axle back route since it's cheaper.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:04 AM
jameslee79

Just ordered the Beluga axle back lol.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:47 AM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jameslee79
Just ordered the Beluga axle back lol.
Right on. Haven't heard these in person. But, the videos look and sound great.

Check out Arxylis's 08 Coupe build. He's running the Belugas and may have some insight for you. If you're having a shop do the install, it'd be well worth the read to see his experience. All good. Just insightful and help you plan. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Needing a little bit more sound out of my exhaust