Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Best $265 mod for G37 6mt.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:48 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and tips. Mine order has been placed!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Racindaddy

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You won't regret it.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:12 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Racindaddy - you weren't kidding! Got the kit installed this afternoon and it feels great! Feels tremendously better than stock. I hope that after a week of normal driving it is as much of an improvement as it feels from my test drives.

Ryan has developed a great product!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Racindaddy

Told you. Enjoy!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Elperuano

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Link for this? Definitely wanna get it.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Racindaddy

www.rjmperformance.com
Old 09-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks Ryan!

Well I finally got my RJM AFP clutch pedal assembly installed. I punched myself in the face for procrastinating so long. The install was a real PITA due to extremely tight space and difficulty accessing the work area with 2 hands (more on that later). But after it was done, the difference made it worthwhile.

I have only taken a short 30 minute test drive so I don't have long term observations to share. But the difference is extremely noticeable even with the first shift into reverse to back out of the garage.

The clutch engagement is no longer like an on/off switch. It's more nuanced. Think dimmer switch vs traditional light switch. The bucking you sometimes get when starting off in 1st gear even though you are an experienced MT driver - completely gone. The lurch you sometimes get when releasing the pedal after the 1-2 shift if you aren't careful - gone. Instead of the clutch engaging/disengaging very high up near the top of the pedal stroke you can adjust it to begin to engage as low as 1" above the floor and also adjust the length of the engagement window to prevent it being so abrupt as the OEM pedal assembly does. The problem isn't our clutch. It's how the OEM pedal mechanism engages it.

I rate this mod very highly. A "must have" for any 6MT driver. I rate it as a very good value as well. Ryan is very easy to deal with and helpful. The fact that he's constantly listening to user feedback and incorporating small revisions to make the product better speaks volumes.

The only drawback is that the install is not too easy. Not technically difficult, but hard because of the lack of space to work and the difficult to access location under the dash. Typically you'd have to lie with your back across the door sill and your head and arms shoved into the footwell. Yes, it is as uncomfortable a work position as you can imagine, especially if you're not petite or have long arms. Near the end of the install I ran into such difficulty that I wasn't able to proceed past a certain point. I found a solution to make it much better. I removed the driver seat entirely and laid flat on my back in the floor with my feet up on the rear seat. This was infinitely more comfortable (though still not ideal) and I was better able to position my head (for better visibility) and both arms and hands (for dexterity). I recommend doing it this way from the start, I'd have saved myself a few cramps and backaches and about an hour.

I have tried all of the various ways to improve the clutch feel in the G37. Adjusting the master cylinder rod, lighter return spring, etc. The bottom line - spend the money for this mod, do it right the first time, enjoy driving your car more.

This mod is strongly Black Betty recommended and approved.
The following users liked this post:
SwissCheeseHead (11-22-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Nice post, BB.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

THIS JUST IN! In communication with Ryan at RJM he told me to inform all forum members that he is offering a $50 discount on any G37/370Z/G35/350Z products.

That's a great deal, 20% off. I wish I'd have gotten it. It's well worth it. If you're on the fence, pull the trigger.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:00 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
THIS JUST IN! In communication with Ryan at RJM he told me to inform all forum members that he is offering a $50 discount on any G37/370Z/G35/350Z products.

That's a great deal, 20% off. I wish I'd have gotten it. It's well worth it. If you're on the fence, pull the trigger.
Nice! Anyone that doesn't have this kit should take advantage of this offer. I'm still loving mine. Haven't adjusted it since the first week when I played around with it.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 AM
otbevo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordered... will report back when it arrives and is installed.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 PM
bgoodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you guys are enjoying the mod! I love mine as well. Don't forget to recheck your screws/bolts after a few months of use. I had to tighten up a few bolts, nothing serious.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Invalid
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you re-use the sport pedal which matches the brake and gas pedals?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Invalid
Can you re-use the sport pedal which matches the brake and gas pedals?
Yes, the install uses the OEM pedal cover. You can't see any difference visually unless you lie on your back and peer under the dash. Even then, 95% of people wouldn't know it's not OEM unless you told them.

Also, I believe there may be another really nice positive effect side from this install besides its primary intended benefit. I'll post in a separate thread.
The following users liked this post:
Invalid (10-01-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM
otbevo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got mine installed this last week, and it is fantastic. I've owned almost 20 vehicles in my life so far, and they have all been manual transmissions. The OEM pedal feel and engagement point are probably the worst that I have ever driven, but this setup makes a night and day difference. I only have it adjusted to the 70% as per the install instructions and it feels great to me, so I haven't adjusted it any further (the ability to change this in the future with a different clutch is a big plus). Very linear feel to the pedal now, and the engagement point is significantly lower and you can actually feel the clutch biting now. Great product... money well spent.

Quick Reply: Best $265 mod for G37 6mt.