Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

WHY OEM INTAKES and FILTERS ARE BETTER

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
WHY OEM INTAKES and FILTERS ARE BETTER

After Installing aftermarket intake systems on all my cars I have owned from 2008 350z HR, to 370z, and now my 2011 G37. From Injen to Stillen to K&N!

Nothing is going to give you that cleaning power of OEM filters with no lost of lowend!

I have been thinking hard about the OEM intake system and the design is perfect! it sucks cold air being rammed into it from when the car is moving and it never gets heat socked at 100F. The OEM filters are very well made and hold up to all dirt! I think most people who have switch over from OEM to aftermarket and they feel all this power and better throttle is because the filters are new! if you would to replace your OEM filters with new ones you feel the same way! Also because you are now having to press harder on the Gas to get the car going you think it feels better and pulls had!

Question?? why do you want your car to pull hard? that would mean you are having to floor the car more and eat more gas just to make more HP with a open filter then OEM?? right..

So I'm like why do I want my car to pull hard!! I don't! I want to use my foot and eas on the gas not harder to eat more gas to feel more power to think I am getting more power!

I know this has been said but OEM is the best! and also keeps your throttle body from getting dirty with oil and dirt from the aftermarket filters!

So if any HP is to be had with our cars it not from intakes it's from doing a highflow CBE! I bet my OEM intakes with new filters with CBE would make almost 300WHP with a tune!

The HP numbers like 15/20 HP is when you are on a dyno you are running the car at almost Max eng speeds! and because the filter is open yes it will suck more air and your Eng will burn more air and gas!

If you could dyno the stock intake system with new filters going down the road at 40Mph because it's ram air design you would see more HP then the car is just running on a dyno!

Last edited by GTLAW; 06-13-2013 at 01:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IcemanVQ37 (06-11-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Alkatraz

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Lol. Troll?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM
iGGy37S

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You're kidding yourself if you think a CBE will give you more power than an intake. The stock system is NOT that restrictive! You are simply adding sound and getting rid of that perfect stock tone. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Yan141

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Op sell me the stillen then
Old 04-02-2013, 10:58 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I stood next to a dyno at Z Dayz and watched as a man ran a test then took out his paper filter and put in an oiled permanent filter. No change of intakes, just the filter change. The car made more HP with the paper filter.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Seriously Brian?? Did you not like your new intake?

Just installing an intake... Doesn't do it. People think all you need to do is install, reset the ECU and allow the system to learn the new intake. Wrong!
The car needs a full tune for proper performance and to fully adjust. Otherwise you're not achieving much.

Over the weekend I attended an open house/barbecue dyno day. A 370z owner had his Gen 3 installed and before/after dyno's. He picked up 18.9 WHP and the torque curve was very aggressive after the tune. I'm not a fan of Stillen G3's but it does produce numbers and sounds great. Has been dyno proven many, many times.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
GTLAW
Banned

I did all that, with each car. As soon as I install the stock system again the car feels better. Even the Tranns shifts better as it's smoother then with Injen intakes or Stillen G3 I had on my 350Z.

With the Injen ShortRam! the Tranns would hunt for gears as I was pressing on the gas and it would feel jerk after jerk. Installed the OEM rest the ECM and no more jerk feeling and I have much more lowend then before! I'm not crazy as I have been doing this on 4 cars now over past 7 years and they all do the same thing!

I'm not driving my car at WOT at 6500RPM all the time.

DS mode hates my Injen intakes as the downsifting Rav match did not work as smooth as before with the OEM.

maybe I'm just getting old but OEM feels better and I have lowend back.

Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
Seriously Brian?? Did you not like your new intake?

Just installing an intake... Doesn't do it. People think all you need to do is install, reset the ECU and allow the system to learn the new intake. Wrong!
The car needs a full tune for proper performance and to fully adjust. Otherwise you're not achieving much.

Over the weekend I attended an open house/barbecue dyno day. A 370z owner had his Gen 3 installed and before/after dyno's. He picked up 18.9 WHP and the torque curve was very aggressive after the tune. I'm not a fan of Stillen G3's but it does produce numbers and sounds great. Has been dyno proven many, many times.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Seraphix

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
You do need a tune to fully maximize the air flow ratio to the new flow of the intakes and exhaust system you put in yes, however even if you don't you will gain horsepower even without a tune. Granted with a tune you will add another 10 to 15 ponies to the overall number. But I have dynoed more than a few of my cars without a tune with only bolt on mods and numbers increase every time. This is not something new. The cold air design of the stock intake system is a pretty good design yes, however the problem isn't in the cold air aspect, the boxes, the shape of the tubes, and the small resonators installed are. Removing these and going with a more direct system where the air doesn't need to travel farther is what is getting you the horsepower.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I am surprised that this thread didn't take off like it did on the 370 forum.

I personally run a CBE on the Z with stock intakes/tune and love it. The IPL I keep stock and love it. I will just leave it at that.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
GTLAW
Banned

I have own 2006 350Z 2008 350z NISMO 2009 G37 6MT 2010 370z MT sport, 2011 G37

Before that, 2004 Altima, 2002 Max 6MT.

They all had intakes and you know what I ended up going back to stock!

Mines tunes there cars with stock Arirbox and there VX Mines Filters in which are like $385. The CF cutouts you see are like $900.

Mines Motor Sports

Mines even makes a ECM that is tuned for the stock airbox!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:01 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Dyno numbers to back this? Or just you butt dyno I would love to see a stock intake make the 297 WHP I made ;/
Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
My Injen SRI didn't exhibit any apreciable low-end loss or gear hunting w/ the 7AT and my hwy mpg is still the same. Got about 5k miles on it now so I think I have enough seat time to have noticed anything amiss. Haven't had it in the summer heat yet so heat soak may rear its' ugly head but the Injen SRI & RC2 seem to be the best in that regard since they don't have the longer metal tubes soaking up the heat. Fingers crossed
Old 04-03-2013, 02:36 PM
GTLAW
Banned

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

Here is Gov testing on OEM filters
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I believe to make horsepower it has to be cold air. If you've noticed that any car runs better when it's cold outside. It's because it's air is more dense with oxygen and as long as there is fuel to go with it it burns better creating more efficiency.

I believe the engineers did a pretty good job with this engine that's why there is only marginal improvements with bolt ons. The ecu is able to adjust the a/f ration to compensate for these bolt ons when some cars you can only do intake or exhaust before you need a piggy back or flash the ecu!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 PM
iGGy37S

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
How does one get a tune? Can the stock ecu be tuned?

Quick Reply: WHY OEM INTAKES and FILTERS ARE BETTER